Shell Rotella Gas Truck: how many people here are using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil and filter in the XTerra today. Out with MaxLife Blend 5w30 and in went RGT 5w30. The hydraulic lash adjusters (lifters) seem a little more "vocal" than with Maxlife. Oh well. Running it 5k anyway, plus it was FAR. Just have two rounds of RGT to use then on to nearly 9 gallons of Mobil Super HM 5w-30 for about $3 per jug. This truck is in the clearance oil for a while.

Stopped by my local AZ and they were out of all clearance 5W30 as well as anything in jugs, but I was able to scrounge up 3 quarts of QSUD 0W20 and 2 quarts of Rotella GT in that grade and figured that would be a change for my daughter's Impreza for $10 not even considering rebates (my wife's Legacy XT calls for that grade, but I think she is going to do dealer changes for at least a while).
Went up front to pay and there was one cashier taking customers...two other employees were tapping away on registers or PCs and another was wandering around the store mostly talking to herself (she kind of freaked me out). The one active cashier was involved in a lengthy debate with a customer about parts for some kind of mod while another customer was standing at a nearby register with two quarts of ATF...I kind of stood behind the guy talking to the cashier but was definitely going to have the guy already waiting go before me if nobody else came to check people out. Another guy walked up with stuff in his arms and stood at what I belatedly realized was the checkout line, it was only obvious to people as they walked in the store but not to those coming back from where the merchandise actually was.
The cashier was gone for several minutes and finally came back with some parts, and he started to open boxes to discuss their merits with the customer he was dealing with.
This is when I bailed, I was clearly wasting my time and the store wasn't interested in and didn't deserve my meager business.
As I left, the guy with the ATF flashed me a truly desperate look...he must have really needed the stuff right then and I wonder how long it took him to get out of there.

I stopped by my local AZ this morning. Pickings were slim but I did get the last 6 qts of 0w-20 for my JLU Wrangler 3.6L.

I already submitted my rebate so this should be essentially free.

Kid at the counter was surprised they are clearing it out as they have not had it on the shelf that long.

I have two 5 gallon jugs I've had for several months but it's 6 oil changes back in que. Just finished off 3 changes of QSUD, next in 2k miles is M1 AFE x2 changes, then M1 EPHM x1, then Valvoline syn HM x2 changes THEN 2 changes of Gas truck are on deck. I do 5k mile OCI and drive 5k miles every two months (30k/year) SO in about 10 months I'll be apart of the Gas Truck user club lol.

Well, just cleaned out two local autozones...24 quarts of RGT 0w20/5w20...24 quarts of Valvoline 0w20/5w20 Modern Engine...and another 12 quarts of Quaker State 0w20 Ultimate Durability. $2 dollars a quart each, not including rebates. $120 bucks for 60 quarts of name brand synthetic, probably only $100 after rebates? I hit the oil jackpot.

And I'm loving the RGT.

Just bought some on clearance at autozone. 2 bucks a quart. I got 6 of 0w20 and 6 of 5w20 for my 2018 Taurus. Not a truck but I'm sure it will run fine on it.

I bought what was left on clearance at my Autozone about a month ago. This last weekend I changed the oil in my Ram using the 5w20 and I also changed the oil in my In-laws Buick Encore and used the 5w30. I know it'll be good for the 5.7l, but I figured it would probably be good for the small 1.4l turbo in the buick as well.

Ok I had to go pick up 6 quarts. The clearance and rebate are too good to pass. I could have cleaned them out but practiced restraint.

I use it. Ill have to check my AZ for some
Quarts tho. Otherwise walmart. Im due this weekend. Also dont see them getting rid of it already. Im guessing they are trying to get it out there and known about.

Last edited:
I've been watching the thread and searching online for UOA's as I've been looking for a thicker Xw30 for my 3.5L F150 come the summer towing months. I haven't been able to find any for Ecoboost engines, but I did find a UOA on the Nissan forums. It appears to have sheared a fair amount in a 4L V6 dual port injection, non-turbo engine. The run was 5125 miles and the sample showed 9.57 cST. Wear metals were alright. There's certainly a lot of variables that play into this, but it was interesting to see that a similar grade PPPP that starts much lower, didn't change all that much for the same vehicle over a similar distance. PPPP came in at 9.06 over 4617 miles.

Has anyone here been able to run a UOA yet?

I happened to grab 3 gallons when getting a pcv tube for my Nissan which is what it will go in. Not a gas truck though lol.

Originally Posted by nlife
I've been watching the thread and searching online for UOA's as I've been looking for a thicker Xw30 for my 3.5L F150 come the summer towing months. I haven't been able to find any for Ecoboost engines, but I did find a UOA on the Nissan forums. It appears to have sheared a fair amount in a 4L V6 dual port injection, non-turbo engine. The run was 5125 miles and the sample showed 9.57 cST. Wear metals were alright. There's certainly a lot of variables that play into this, but it was interesting to see that a similar grade PPPP that starts much lower, didn't change all that much for the same vehicle over a similar distance. PPPP came in at 9.06 over 4617 miles.

Has anyone here been able to run a UOA yet?

I believe there have been 2-3 UOA's with this oil.

RGT is a great value. It's appears to be a GTL based oil with boosted anti-oxidants and a good dose of moly. Mobil 1 Truck & SUV oil is probably as good or better.

Originally Posted by buster

I believe there have been 2-3 UOA's with this oil.

RGT is a great value. It's appears to be a GTL based oil with boosted anti-oxidants and a good dose of moly. Mobil 1 Truck & SUV oil is probably as good or better.

I guess I'll have to do some more digging for them then. In terms of pricing it appears that it's cheaper in the US. It's priced at $59.99 per 5L here which is the same as Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge and other synthetic oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back