Shell Rotella Gas Truck: how many people here are using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by BLND1

I think real game changers in branding/marketing won't be label differentiation (if it was shell and valvoline would have eclipsed mobil1 by now) but by packaging, a la Chevron Havoline smart change boxes.

Big selling point when you have a 5.5qt sump like I do. Makes for not only a more convenient oil change but a cheaper one.

The box is doing for oil what it did for wine!...‚

I certainly like the "box" as it works well in my 5.5 and 6 quart sumps, and I appreciate the recycling potential.

With that said - I'm not sure if "the box" is truly THE game changer, but it's a step in the right direction.

Shell Gas Truck made my 4.3 S10 perform like an 8.1 Silverado HD. It's the most manly PCMO on the market right now....
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Shell Gas Truck made my 4.3 S10 perform like an 8.1 Silverado HD. It's the most manly PCMO on the market right now....
grin2.gif

I've heard some people using RGT all of a sudden start tailgating w/high beams and racing ahead of you to get to the next stop light before ya do?? Weird..🤔

Have some on deck for two newer Accords.
With the MIR it was an offer I couldn't refuse and quarts are handy for these two since neither takes five quarts.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Some of you guys are getting a better deal than my local AZ

Ditto.. it's the normal price at mine. Must be a store to store thing. And besides, i hate stocking qt bottles now; I still got 2 more 5qt jugs I'm eligible for so I'm hoping it'll (the 5qts) go on sale again (sub $20) before the rebate ends. Otherwise I'm trying to hold off on any new oil purchases (I've already got abt 50qts on the shelf as it is) until GF6 comes out next May.

Last edited:
I'm using it in two F150s at the moment. It'll probably end up in my wife's Escape at some point as well. Had a pretty good UOA on it earlier this year. I'll probably get another UOA on it next year. I was able to pick up 5qt jugs earlier this year for like $17 or $20 or something like that so I grabbed a bunch of it.

I picked up 20 quarts of 5W-30 this afternoon and will be putting some in the F150 in the next few weeks.

The only reason I'll be using it is because of the clearance sale, and its the best 5w-30 I have on hand.

Originally Posted by LotI
Its a national clearance. Did you take it to the counter to check the price? These are retail employees, most likely millennials!

Ok boomer.

Wow, didn't realize it was on clearance at autozone...$2 a quart? How can you beat that? Been using it since it came out because of the rebates...so far I like it. If it's on clearance I imagine it's an oil that will be going away. Honestly I don't think the packaging helps - that boring plain red bottle looks too pedestrian going against today's pretty oil bottles - and most shoppers want something that looks good or at least has a cool name. Gas truck? Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue like Castrol Edge or Platinum.

I'm on my 2nd OCI with the Tundra. Have 7qts pre-clearance and 32 qts on clearance lol.

I did have to hit 2 Autozones. 1st one still had it at $4/qt. I didn't bother asking but I'll have to now. The rack was full in all grades.

I can't wait to put it in my wife's Santa Fe and extend the tow mirrors, hang the truck nutz on the hitch and blind everyone with HID lights in non HID housings.

Edit; I really am going to try it in her car. Because it's there and why not. Don't expect any miracles except for running 5k on synthetic oil and not having to pay retail price.

Last edited:
Don't see any reason to try it unless I can find it for $2/qt. Didn't realize that it was a full synthetic. I've been using NAPA full synthetic when I caught it on sale. Plus I preferred the quarts over the 5qt jugs. I typically use Pennzoil Platinum. I have about four 5qt containers of Havoline HiMi that I got on Amazon for just over $2/qt. I will use that up in my two children's vehicles. For my 2016 Grand Caravan, like others, I will probably go to Havoline Synthetic in the 6 qt box. The Grand Caravan has a six quart sump. I've been a long time user of Havoline in the past.

Last edited:
Just have changed the oil and put the RGT in + PuroBoss filter, can't be any manlier now
So far so good

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Some of you guys are getting a better deal than my local AZ

One store I went to had quarts marked at $4, but they rang up at $2. I suspected it was marked wrong because I'd already been to a few other stores where it was marked $2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back