Shell Rotella Gas Truck: how many people here are using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Holidays folks and I will be on the way to my brothers house tomorrow mid morning
smile.gif

I have thanks to Autozone, like 48 quarts of RGT in all 3 flavors ( 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30)

the brother is getting some 5w30 and 5w20 for the Yukon he has and sister in laws 09' Acura TL. How many folks here are using Rotella Gas Truck?

Thanks and everyone have a good week and Happy Thanksgiving
34.gif
08.gif

I have some on deck for the next couple of oil changes in both vehicles in my signature. I have one more oil change of older stock to use up in the Spring before I get to the RGT so it should be going in next Fall.

I put it in the Freestyle before the kid I sold it to took delivery of it. No appreciable difference from the Harvest King 5w-20 that was in it lol. But I figured good Synthetic oil will be more forgiving if the kid goes way too long before changing the oil. Get her off on a good start!

Did a recent OCI (5W-30) in my '01 silverado 6.0 HD back in September and it sure idles quieter and runs a little smoother
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Other week at self serve car wash. I left it idling while I was washing wheels/tires and engine was so quite, I ALMOST did a 2nd start on it
shocked2.gif

Dave

Last edited:
I'm using it. I think it's a good oil for the $. Nice amount of moly and boosted AO's. GTL/III base. I noticed over the last few hundred miles it has a slight reddish tint to it now. I have about 2k miles on it.

Happy have a great week and Thanksgiving too.
cheers3.gif

I ran it for the last OCI in my Sierra, still have to send the sample out for a UOA. Engine was the quietest with it compared to the ACDelco, Napa Synthetic that preceded it and the Castrol GTX that's in it now.

Originally Posted by buster
I'm using it. I think it's a good oil for the $. Nice amount of moly and boosted AO's. GTL/III base. I noticed over the last few hundred miles it has a slight reddish tint to it now. I have about 2k miles on it.

Happy have a great week and Thanksgiving too.
cheers3.gif

What's AO's ?

Antioxidants.

"Shell Rotella Gas Truck full synthetic motor oil is a unique formulation from others in the Shell lubricants portfolio. It is formulated with a higher level of antioxidants to perform better in larger truck and SUV engines."

I generally avoid Rotella (and Shell) products when possible, so it didn't resonate with me , and the incessant "new product yay" hype and viral marketing was annoying.

However, I think it's been shown to be a perfectly adequate oil, and is same/same as most other gf5/SN+ synthetics on the market.

I think a lot of oil companies are grasping at straws when it comes to new products. First it was "more labels, more niches," now some like Castrol are signaling a potential return to single label branding (all mileage, etc.) while others double (or quadruple - looking at you pennzoil hybrid and pennzoil turbo) down on niche marketing.

I think real game changers in branding/marketing won't be label differentiation (if it was shell and valvoline would have eclipsed mobil1 by now) but by packaging, a la Chevron Havoline smart change boxes.

We shall see.

Just did a 5,300 mile run with RTG 5W-30.
Didn't notice anything out of the norm with it, seem to perform about like anything else I've used in the past

I was also recently wondering if it was selling well. If its going on clearance already Im guessing not well? Im heading over to AZ tomorrow, for 2$ a quart it cant be beat.

Originally Posted by Audios
I was also recently wondering if it was selling well. If its going on clearance already Im guessing not well? Im heading over to AZ tomorrow, for 2$ a quart it cant be beat.

I think BLND1 is exactly right. I dont know what Shell is trying to reinvent honestly. I think the regular Rotella is fine and if someone wants a better or good oil then get PYB/PP/PUP. My dumb mechanic opinion
smile.gif

RGT will be in the mom bus come Spring. (have Havoline HiMi in there now)

Have an awesome holiday week Adam.. and remember to set the scale back 15lbs Wednesday night! ...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BLND1

I think real game changers in branding/marketing won't be label differentiation (if it was shell and valvoline would have eclipsed mobil1 by now) but by packaging, a la Chevron Havoline smart change boxes.

Big selling point when you have a 5.5qt sump like I do. Makes for not only a more convenient oil change but a cheaper one.

The box is doing for oil what it did for wine!...‚

Last edited:
I agree. The oil majors have pushed the limit on product diversification to the limit. What will matter most is packaging. Chevron has a potential game changer with their 'box' oil

I used it recently and it is so convenient I'm a convert from the plastic bottles/jugs. Besides it is good oil at a bargain price.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
RGT will be in the mom bus come Spring. (have Havoline HiMi in there now)

Have an awesome holiday week Adam.. and remember to set the scale back 15lbs Wednesday night! ...‚

Thank You sir. I told brother to get off his duff and hit some Autozones and the ancient AAP near him to get some .55 and .65 cent oil or I would do it
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back