Shell Rotella Gas Truck >5k OCI?

Has anyone gone beyond 5k and done a UOA on RGT 0w20? I've read lots of chatter about it really being a 5k oil, but I'd imagine Shell would engineer it better than that since the Rotella brand has the image of being a robust line of oils.

I ask because my daughter's Renegade 2.4 is right at 5k, which is the normal OCI. I also put it in my Pentastar. I've seen/heard a lot of talk about it being a 5k oil, but was just curious how it holds up to a non-DI engine out to 8k or 10k. It seems like a solid oil. I am running through a huge stash I bought about 1.5 to 2 years ago and I paid probably a buck a quart, on average. I've probably got 25 to 30 quarts left.

I think talk is just that, talk. I haven't done a UOA, but I run it out until my OLM says around 10% which puts me around 6,500-7,000 miles. It's just another SN+ group III motor oil, probably no significant difference from any other SOPUS offering. (or any manufacturer really) Especially the way you and I are using it. I have a similar situation as you, I bought everything BJs had on the floor, and have 42 quarts left.

I have done 8,000-8,500 OCI intervals with it 2x in my Honda. With UOA that looked good.
But the Honda calls for that interval or higher, and is also not-DI, not-turbo.
So, I would say that you're fine, but would follow manufacturer's recommendation at minimum.

I think talk is just that, talk. I haven't done a UOA, but I run it out until my OLM says around 10% which puts me around 6,500-7,000 miles. It's just another SN+ group III motor oil, probably no significant difference from any other SOPUS offering. (or any manufacturer really) Especially the way you and I are using it. I have a similar situation as you, I bought everything BJs had on the floor, and have 42 quarts left.
I actually like that the RGT has a higher flash point than Pennzoil Platinum from looking at both product data sheets. But yeah, I think you are right. Sopus knows how to make good oils. I'm pretty confident that it woudn't break a sweat at 8k in either of these non-DI engines. I have some of the 5w30 flavor, too and have run it in my 3.5 Ecoboost, but I won't go beyond 5k in that engine like I do with M1 EP. (I do 10k OCI's with EP in that engine and it has held up well.)

I'd love to see a couple UOA's with longer OCI's with the Ow20 to see how it looks.

For non-GDI turbo, RGT 0w20 is probably good for 7k miles. It's a Pennzoil product, and full synth oils today are good, so you shouldn't have any issues.

Considering that Blackstone themselves have stated that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA results between oils I doubt that’s a criteria I’d use to determine “quality.”

I've run two UOAs on RGT 0w-20; First one was 6 mo., 5,538 mi. OCI, TBN was at 1.8. Second was 4 mo., 5,669 mi. OCI, TBN was at 2.3. No fuel dilution, but viscosity was down into low-mid 7cSt range. Wear numbers were good on both though.
I have an 8qt sump.
I like the oil, but it is not a long drain oil for me. 6 months or 6,000 miles.

I've run two UOAs on RGT 0w-20; First one was 6 mo., 5,538 mi. OCI, TBN was at 1.8. Second was 4 mo., 5,669 mi. OCI, TBN was at 2.3. No fuel dilution, but viscosity was down into low-mid 7cSt range. Wear numbers were good on both though.
I have an 8qt sump.
I like the oil, but it is not a long drain oil for me. 6 months or 6,000 miles.
Low-mid 7cSt is still well within grade.

ILSAC oils are OLM oils. But as I have found with my Ford with D.I. , at 50% OLM and 5 months my Excellent Valvoline was toast. This car horrendously over-fuels. The car ate a quart on an unusual 60 mile highway trip and started running hot.
In non D.I. applications I have had excellent UOA with Valvoline and Castrol; I don't expect RGT to be any different. I tried and didn't like that oil in a Crosstrek, but the Subaru wants an "Asian Thin" 0W20, not a big-boned Dutch girl.
- Ken

Look at the oils ratings, what the manufacture recommended and what the owners manual recommends, a bit shorter oil change intervals is better than a bit longer oil change interval.

Low-mid 7cSt is still well within grade.
Minimum is 6.9, my last sample read 7.10 (the one before that was 7.29).
Yes, 7.1 is still within grade, but getting close to the lower limit.
It is a very good oil, but not meant for 'extended' intervals IMO. Feels like this oil was built to perform within the bounds of manufacturer-recommended OCIs, but not much further.
Good oil if you stay within those limits! Iron ppms seem to always be better than average!

For the record, my UOAs were in a DI, non-turbo V8 (GM L84).

if it meets or exceeds the manufacturer apecifications run it to the automakers recomendations based on service.
Ihave run Rtg to 7500 but wasn’t interested in a uoa, but it was likely premature with the service.
I currently have 9000 mile 5 month old Kirkland synthetic in my trucks sump and will do a splash and fill @10k I have a 20k -1 year filter so that’s how long it’s staying.

i would run the rgt stash with confidence to the OCI recomended by the carmaker for the service it is used under.

Back