Shell RGT just a (good) high mileage oil?

Hear me out :D

After looking at a bunch of oils, trying to find an equivalent that's more easily available, i noticed some trends.

Truck/SUV oil seem to have the following in common
  • Deals with high temps better than other oil
  • More moly
  • more anti-oxidants
  • Higher viscosity within their range (in the 11.x for 5w30)
  • None of them have ACEA A5/B5 ratings
  • RGT at least has an unusual bottle marking of "all mileage"

That last one gave me a clue, i started looking at the high mileage oils, many sharing similar traits, higher viscosity, missing ACEA A5/B5 ratings when their non -high mileage version of the same oil does have it.

Whilst i don't doubt there is a formulation/additive package difference for the trucks, the similarities between a quality high mileage synthetic oil and the truck/SUV oils was quite interesting.

Any thoughts?

I have no particular thoughts on this. However, I am coincidently using this Shell RGT 5W30 full synthetic currently in the Firebird in my signature, in which I had been previously using high mileage oils for the past 15-ish yrs.

Also, I am using RGT based on some member reviews/VOA/UOA and the fact that some of our local auto parts stores here in the STATES where at that time, discontinuing RGT from their store shelves at some serious discounts. So therefore I bought as much as I could in 0W20, 5W20 & 5W30 grades.

And another thing I have ONLY heard on this forum is that, Shell RGT and its sibling Quaker State Ultimate Durability(a.k.a. QSUD) are very close in their makeup.

Last edited:
My thoughts...none of that really matters in the end. For a well-maintained and properly working engine, within reason of OCI and specs, I have seen little to no evidence that different oils make any difference. This entire site is 95% worthless theoretical mental masturbation for people with OCD fixated on engine oil.

P.S. - This includes myself...

P.P.S - The 5% of useful information here are simply the threads that aren't at all about engine oil.

My thoughts...none of that really matters in the end. For a well-maintained and properly working engine, within reason of OCI and specs, I have seen little to no evidence that different oils make any difference. This entire site is 95% worthless theoretical mental masturbation for people with OCD fixated on engine oil.

P.P.S - The 5% of useful information here are simply the threads that aren't at all about engine oil.
Have you ever considered becoming a motivational speaker? 🤣🤣🤣

I can see it now...life, who really cares? You sit before me wasting your time and I’m here to tell, you ARE wasting your time. Thank you for your time. Make sure you buy a copy of my book on your way out.

I loaded up on RGT when they had their sales and rebates...seemed like “good” oil to me. Used it in my 2018 Silverado for a period of time spanning over 20,000 miles. And I’ve used it in my 2016 Avalon over a period of maybe 10,000 miles. Seems good, however I no longer look for it or buy it...I only buy whatever is on sale (name brand synthetics). I’ll jump on whatever rebate is going on, or whatever clearance is happening. And if I can’t find that? I’ll just buy Super Tech at Walmart. The key to me is keeping my intervals at a reasonable level (say 5k-6k miles). Works for me.

Have you ever considered becoming a motivational speaker? 🤣🤣🤣

I can see it now...life, who really cares? You sit before me wasting your time and I’m here to tell, you ARE wasting your time. Thank you for your time. Make sure you buy a copy of my book on your way out.
Lol...some things DO matter...just not the oil you choose within a particular spec.

Im using RGT in my SUV, and have a couple years worth in a stash. Only because PEP Boys was giving it away.

"If it's free, it's for me."

You must be the master debater.

Pennzoil platinum euro L 5w-30 sounded like it fits the bill. It's a thicker on the scale mid saps euro rated oil that i don't believe is a5/b5.

Hear me out :D

After looking at a bunch of oils, trying to find an equivalent that's more easily available, i noticed some trends.

Truck/SUV oil seem to have the following in common
  • Deals with high temps better than other oil
  • More moly
  • more anti-oxidants
  • Higher viscosity within their range (in the 11.x for 5w30)
  • None of them have ACEA A5/B5 ratings
  • RGT at least has an unusual bottle marking of "all mileage"

That last one gave me a clue, i started looking at the high mileage oils, many sharing similar traits, higher viscosity, missing ACEA A5/B5 ratings when their non -high mileage version of the same oil does have it.

Whilst i don't doubt there is a formulation/additive package difference for the trucks, the similarities between a quality high mileage synthetic oil and the truck/SUV oils was quite interesting.

Any thoughts?
I tried RGT in a 2 litre Subaru Crosstrek, we were not impressed, but that engine preferred the ultra light Idemitsu Subaru 0W20 anyhow.
The finest reasonably priced oil I have used recently has been Valvoline Advanced. I don't know if it the 'cleanest' due to its extremely high moly load, but it certainly makes for a smooth running engine. Mobil 1 Ep is also a high performing oil. In fact it may the the best available for ~5 dollar a quart on 0W20 grade.

The above is all opinion, with no data other than hints of formulation through available VOA, UOA and SDS
_ken

Pennzoil platinum euro L 5w-30 sounded like it fits the bill. It's a thicker on the scale mid saps euro rated oil that i don't believe is a5/b5.
Hmm, whilst i can find Euro L marked bottles at walmart for sale, i don't see any traces of it on Penzoil's website, only Euro, no L - which is a5/b5 and clocking in at an 11.9 cSt.

The above is all opinion, with no data other than hints of formulation through available VOA, UOA and SDS
_ken
Meh, my post is nearly all opinion with little data, so.... :D

I liked the resistance to heat (as i know the engines RGT was designed for run hot) and running an engine under load for hauling/towing is harder on the oil at least for heat.

I see Castrol advertising high heat resistance etc. Trying to see if at least some of the HM oils are a good replacement - exception being Valvoline, who's HM stuff is all blend, but by all means a good cleaner and suitable oil for oil burners that i can see.

SHELL R.G.T. 5w-20 torture test . Oil drained , inside cylinder walls viewed ( 8:49 ) and oil is analyzed ( 11:06 ) . Starts at 6:39 . There are videos 1 > 5 ( Shown ) .

Last edited:
That's even thicker at 12.5! what's the 5w30 range again?

Still can't find the EuroL on their website, but i can find it for sale, WTH SOPUS!?

Back