Shell RGT 5w30 shortage?

Canadian Tire has had RGT on clearance for a couple weeks now. Went to Walmart last week and they had RGT on clearance for $24. I ended up getting Quaker State Full Synthetic for $26.97.

I have run RGT 5W-20 for about 18K KM in the HEMI and about 10K KM in the Escape and no complaints with the oil.

I don't think RGT is selling all that well and if Walmart and Canadian Tire are clearing it out then it may go the way of the Dodo bird.

I got some in 5W-30 for my G5 on clearance recently for $27 a jug.
All the stuff on the shelf is SN/SN plus; never seen it in SP

I think this product has been functionally discontinued. Haven’t seen it at Walmart, Tractor Supply or any automotive stores in the last 8 months it’s available online at an inflated price. I picked some up over the winter at Home Depot for 15 bucks a 5qt jug and they were from Q1 2019. You’d have an easier time finding Rotella T6 in 5w30 than RGT 5w30. Bummer as I liked the product.

I think this product has been functionally discontinued. Haven’t seen it at Walmart, Tractor Supply or any automotive stores in the last 8 months it’s available online at an inflated price. I picked some up over the winter at Home Depot for 15 bucks a 5qt jug and they were from Q1 2019. You’d have an easier time finding Rotella T6 in 5w30 than RGT 5w30. Bummer as I liked the product.
If SOPUS pushed Rotella T6 MV, it would have just as much of a cult following as T6 5W-40.

How would the ROTELLA Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 be for the G.D.I. with carbon deposits ? Know it's thicker and may benefit with oil consumption .

How would the ROTELLA Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 be for the G.D.I. with carbon deposits ? Know it's thicker and may benefit with oil consumption .
HTHS is definitely higher. I think it’s a 3.5. I haven’t looked at a VOA/UOA recently for it. I know SOPUS says Napa and Advance can order it. I paid $70 for a case of 3 gallon jugs.

If it has a heavy slug of Ca, it might not be the best for TGDI.

IMHO, if Shell marketed RMV 5W-30 more and repacked their former oil for BMW service(BMW is back with Castrol supposedly - the new 0W-20 TwinPower Turbo oil met both API SN and LL-14) and get it to pass dexos1 tests, they could rebrand it as Pennzoil Platinum Truck & SUV or Platinum Extreme.

Last edited:
There is a shortage of Rotella T 15w40 bulk oil right now. Our supplier said Shell is having trouble getting additives for the oil.
Texas blackout is still having ripple effects - Sherwin-Williams is still out of most of their paints, there’s also a plastics shortage too. Seeing how SOPUS has a bulk of their operations in the Houston/Baytown area, easy to see why.

Other than not being on shelves, (can still buy on Amazon) has anyone found anything suggesting it's been discontinued yet?
Amazon is way too expensive, depending on which one they want over $30 for a 5 qt jug, I had it on subscribe and save to help with the cost but I'm not paying that much when other options are cheaper and more widely available.

I really do like this oil and still have enough to last for awhile.

Current Amazon prices.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211030-093744.jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-093744.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 32
Back