Shell Helix Ultra 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've gone and done it now. Now mind you, I work for Shell and the only way I can purchase this product in the USA is in a 55 gallon drum.

So, I was at a meeting last week in Chicago and was talking to our Regional VP about me wanting to try this product, but I was not going to buy a 55 gallon drum of it. Well, he said see if you can find someone that has it in cases and order a case of it and put it on your expense account.

BINGO!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I called Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin Ohio (the Ferrari dealer) and ordered a 12 liter case of this liquid gold. Here is why I call it gold.

12 liters Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 @ $20.24 each = $242.88. Frieght and tax = $37.74, for a grand total of $280.62

The front of the bottle has a picture of the Ferrari horse and says Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 5W40. On the back it says, API SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4 98, VW 500.00 & 502.00 & 505.00, MB 229.3, Meets PSA E and D requirements, BMW Longlife-98, Jaso, Ferrari approved, Rover registered, endorsed by SAAB, Porsche approved. Made in the E.U. The case says Shell Oil UK.

This high dollar oil is going in my sons 1997 Audi A6 that has 111,500 miles on it. If I had to pay for this I would run it 10,000 miles and do a UOA, but since it was free, I'm going to do a UOA in 6,000 miles just to see where we are at.

I hope my son appreciates this. It's the last case of this he will ever get.
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:

12 liters Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 @ $20.24 each = $242.88. Frieght and tax = $37.74, for a grand total of $280.62

The front of the bottle has a picture of the Ferrari horse and says Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 5W40. On the back it says, API SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4 98, VW 500.00 & 502.00 & 505.00, MB 229.3, Meets PSA E and D requirements, BMW Longlife-98, Jaso, Ferrari approved, Rover registered, endorsed by SAAB, Porsche approved. Made in the E.U. The case says Shell Oil UK.
patriot.gif

That is what it cost when you license the Ferrari horse? Harley only costs 8+ per qt while the Mobil Triump oil cost 50 per gallon. Although the Rover registering, endorsement by SAAB, and Porche approval probably added some.

I can't wait to see the UOA on this one! At such a high price, we should see all zeros in the wear numbers columns!
grin.gif

quote:

I called Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin Ohio (the Ferrari dealer) and ordered a 12 liter case of this liquid gold. Here is why I call it gold.

[/QB]

Hey, that's one of the dealers I go to for service! Of course, I don't own a Ferrari but they do service peasants who own VWs too. Great dealership.

That sounds exactly like the stuff thats sold here in Australia. Its one of the cheapest synths you can get (XHVI) but is still quite a good oil. Can you post a pic of the bottle?

Patman: The only place you will see zeros is in the wallet.
grin.gif

Ken4: I need all the fuel economy I can get with my son driving.

VeeDubb: I delt with Michael Graham, their parts manager. Very nice folks.

Leo: I don't have a digital camera, but I looked on the Shell UK and Shell Australia websites and it looks like the same bottle.

It is one of the most easily found oils here and almost every shell gas station(there are many of them) carries it.
Shell , BP and the greek EKO dominate the gas market in Greece.
A friend of mine uses it in his Peugeot( PSA =peugeot and citroen) with 6000m OCI as specified by the car manufacturer. I think the E and D recuirements are dealing with extenvise oci and severe conditions.
Last time i checked its price was around 11 euros just like all the other synthetics. I wouldn't pay more for a group III even with the ferrari approval on it.

XHVI basestock (Group III?) and some ester according to Shell techline. Matches the TDS I downloaded yesterday. One of the cheapest 'syns' available in Australia. **** poor on our Timken too. Sorry to say I think Johnny got well and truly ripped off!

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
I wonder if adding a maintenance dose of Auto-Rx would help clean things up?

My engine is very clean. Just that when I tried using SHU 5w40, I noticed the soot level shoots up, and the oxidation and nitration levels remains low. Well, I would say this oil has more or less the cleaning ability of a dino oil. Isnt Group III a dino oil in disguise?

Johnny paid much less money compaired to the ferrari owners.
It is better if we say that johnny paid the same money with the average west-european(U.K) customer.
According to this test (also posted a few months ago here-i just don't remember the topic's title or anything relevant),
it is a decent oil.
web page

yannis: That's an interesting test. Makes me want to find some Elf Oil. Being that you are in Europe, do you know anything about Pentosin Pentosynth 5W40 oil.

This test made me also interested about elf.
I searched and found the wholesale dealer in my region.
If i want to buy from him i will have to buy at least a 24-liter case.
I was interested in their 10W40 sti A3,B3,B4 and porsche approved semisynthetic .It would cost me 7,5x24 euros, not that bad if you consider that its retail price was 10.75 in the only elf retail shop that i had found in my town!! yeap for a semisynthetic and this is what I call rip off.
The things i know about pentosin is the information somebody can find in their web site. Really impressive numbers though(5W40) ,i haven't seen it localy but didn't lose my faith
grin.gif

I'll keep on searching.

quote:

Originally posted by DavoNF:
Elf 10W-50, sounds good.

I see the Shell Helix Ultra came 3rd in its class, so it can't be all that bad.

Dave

Looks like the author's missprint because Elf "LUB HTX" range suitable for cars is offered in following weights only:

HTX 802 10W-50
HTX 822 15W-50
HTX 830 10W-30
HTX 833 15W-40

Thus, we can only guess which HTX was tested. If it's HTX 833, then the correct weight is 15W-40. If the weight is 10W-50, then its name is HTX 802.

It's also difficult to understand why the author places Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in the Group No.2. If to unite the first two groups, then Shell performance will be below average in these tests.

Yannis,
Test results published at exclusive-auto page are really very interesting and help to understand where is the general performance of this or that oil and brend, as well as confirm advantages and disadvantages of different oil base stocks. But taking into consideration the author's (rjhug1/rhspecr) relative works as Elf Distributor and the author himself does some work for Mobil from time to time, I would be very careful with results. The main question is what were the principals to give points and how they arounded the results. It would be great if we could see net values and not points. Otherwise "the only careless movement, and you are already father"
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back