Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in Mercedes OM 647 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this forum.

I drive a 2004 Jeep GC 2.7 with the Mercedes OM647 fitted.

The dealer used Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30AB but this oil is not available in South Africa anymore.

The vehicle has completed 100,000 kms (60,000 miles).

Will I be safe to move to Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 or even Shell Rimula 10W-40?

Thanks

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

I would use the Helix Ultra 5W-40 over the Rimula 10W-40.

Thank you for the "Welcome" Johnny. Why would you prefer the Helix Ultra?

Sprintman - Excuse the ignorance but what does "Auto-RX/rinse clean" mean?

Originally Posted By: PT1
The Shell Helix 5w40 is factory fill for Ferarri V8 engines so you should be fine with it.

The OM647 is a 5 cylinder diesel though!

Originally Posted By: marsian
The Shell Helix 5w40 is factory fill for Ferarri V8 engines so you should be fine with it.

It still should be robust enough.

I have done some more homework..

This is the same engine used in the E270 CDI Merc.
Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 has a MB229.3 spec
Mobil Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 only a MB228.5 spec.

Mobil Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 only a MB228.5 spec.

Only? That is a diesel engine oil spec. requiring the oil to have a huge nut sack. Just check the sulfated ash percentage on the product data sheet to make sure it's not really high (>1.5% would steer me away from it).

The Mobil SHC has sulphated ash percentage of 1.8 but I cannot find any info on this for the Shell Helix Ultra.

I believe Shell Helix 10W-60 is actually factory fill for Ferrari engines...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

I believe Shell Helix 10W-60 is actually factory fill for Ferrari engines...

This is factory fill for only 1 model of Ferrari, Moderna i think. BUt can be used universally and may be called Enzo as well. I have my $6 for 5 litres Ultra 5w40 sitting ready to go in, and the coloured Ferarri logo couldnt be any more clearer..........

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sprintman
I'd be using Mobil Delvac 1 if it was a diesel engine. I missed that

Whats your opinions on Delvac MX or Delvac1 in Petrol cars ? I've read of a Subaru performance engine builder recommending Delvac MX. It seems the CI-4 spec can be quite superior, but the alternate argument is a diesel engine (lower revs) runs different to a petrol engine, and the base and additives wont withstand the higher revs. Someone even claimed the extra detergents in diesel became acidic once petrol entered the crankcase and attacked the engine. 12TBN i cannot quite believe this.

Personally I would prefer Rimula compared to Helix for diesel engine especially if I go for long OCI. The problem with gasoline motor oil on diesel engine is it may not have enough detergent and TBN to handle the combustion byproducts, and in some case not enough EP to handle the massive torque/vibration generated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back