Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in Mercedes OM 647 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the fuel sulphur % in SA now ?
If >50ppm, the Helix Ultra would be fine, if >500ppm, use the oil with the higher TBN (Rimula
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted By: tdi-rick
What's the fuel sulphur % in SA now ?
If >50ppm, the Helix Ultra would be fine, if >500ppm, use the oil with the higher TBN (Rimula
wink.gif
)

I only use <50ppm in the vehicle. This is readily available in SA.

IMHO none of these you listed suits your application well...
I`d go with any of the 229.5 oils available (0w-40,5w-30,5w-40)..or (if you insist on HDEO oils)-any MB 228.51 5w-30,0w-30 like R6LME,Castrol Elixion Low SAPS or http://www.mobil.com/Germany-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_LE_5W-30.asp
..you may want to ask the dealer what they think first..but they certainly allow 228.X1 oils in all modern diesels(+ULSD mandatory)-this is for G-Klasse 320 CDI for example:
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual-cars/ba/cars/463/en/in-depth/d13e32498.shtml

Edit-just checked the sites and Elixion Low-Saps is not available in SA,D1 LE neither..

..and if using 5w-40 oil doesn`t bother you,Delvac 1 should be available. Many oils to choose from...

Last edited:
Sprintman, following suit and put in Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 i picked up for $6 and added a bottle of Auto-Rx, will try to run it for 7000km as my second clean phase. Brave enough to use it now in my VX Holden 3.8litre v6 with 220,000km as weather cold. Thinnest oil i have used since 80,000k's. Lowest previous was 10w40 and ranged from 15w40 to 20w50 since then till now.

Does sound a lil tappy in the engine, not sure how in the U.S you guys get quiet engines from thin oil....

Last edited:
This 2nd clean will be 8,000 kms (5,000 miles). 1,100 kms in and the oil has darkened noticeably which is a surprise. 5W40 is a good choice for a Melbourne winter, make sure your engine runs nice and hot for a good result. Not a problem in a BMW as they run oil temps 105-135C.

I run dual fuel LPG, so i certainly have the extra heat there. So you recommend a longer drain ? PM me the results you were after for the d-base.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sprintman
I'm thinking now of running this clean for 10,000 kms instead of eight. Then rinse for 10,000 kms (6,200 miles). I really get my moneys worth that way.

have you noticed any difference between the new SM Helix and the older SL helix ?

lol, nah clearance at K-Mart of the SL 5 litre bottles to make way for the new ones. When i self scanned it read $6. I didnt believe it. So i asked a worker, she was rude and all saying 'if it says $6 dollars, then thats what it is!"

Work mate went down straight away to snap up the last one. I should have grabbed both but was concerned i would not be able to use it on my 200,000k commodore. He used it in his missus Ford Focus. He went to other K-marts to see if any other cheap ones, and $60+ lowest he saw it for. Big W in one areas has the new bottles for $54, thats where i will get it next. Yesterday grabbed a 1 litre bottle of the SL version on clearance at Coles Supermarkets for top ups in case it burns @ $5.90, even that is a bargain. If they had 5 i would have got them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back