Shell Helix Sport 50 - datasheet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wondering if anyone has a datasheet for this (Shell Oz website datasheet link is dead).

The oil is a 25W-70.

As it's winter, I want to do an early drain on my delo400 in the Camira (and keep a sample), and fill with a 25W-70, to get a data point on the thin/thick debate.

25W-70 will be run 3-4,000 miles, from snow to early summer.

Anyone have a datasheet ?

Sorry, Shannow, I tried, but struck out too.
frown.gif

Shannow, you must be fearless to try that stuff in the winter!
shocked.gif
Are you sure you don't want to try something like 10W-60 or 20W-50 just to be on the safe side or wait until spring time? Anyway good luck and I look forward to your results.

offtopic.gif

Sin City,

I already told Shannow in another thread that if he actually puts 25W70 in his car he is my hero.
bowdown.gif
On the other hand, Las Vegas in the summer might be a GREAT place for a 25W70!!!!

[ July 29, 2003, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Shannow GET SERIOUS!! 40W70 or your wasting your time. No seriously I ran Penrite turbo 25W70 for many years in my Mazda turbo and still fine. 25W70 to 5W30 should be a good comparison.

Well it's "installed" as of this afternoon.

Did the freezer test the other night, and it flowed marginally worse than Valvoline XLD 20W-50 (which I used to use religiously in everything). Figured that it couldn't be (much) worse than 20W-(anything), which is what Holden recommended for the Camira.

Oil pressure came straight up after the oil change (sans filter, as it's very very new - short changed the Delo to catch some winter months on the thick stuff).

So it's sitting, waiting for tomorrow morning to see whether I blow the filter onto the pavement with a cold start or whatever.

As to the specs
FLASH POINT 208

VISCOSITY @ 100°C 27.6

VISCOSITY @ 40°C 310

Don't know the HT/HS, but a competitor's 20W-60 runs at 6.6.

Chasing up companies to do a UOA some time around Christmas.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Shannow GET SERIOUS!! 40W70 or your wasting your time. No seriously I ran Penrite turbo 25W70 for many years in my Mazda turbo and still fine. 25W70 to 5W30 should be a good comparison.

Yep, I used to run the STP 25W-70, Penrite and all sorts of "high protection" oils in my cars a decade ago.

Will give a 5W-30 a go starting in summer.

I've got meticulous mileage logs for the last few years, so should be interesting.

I'm confused, why are you running the 25w70 in your wintertime but then plan to go to 5w30 for the summer? It should be the other way around.
confused.gif

Patman,

You forgot...Australia is in the southern hemisphere and the Coriolis Effect actually makes the oil a 70W25...it is perfect for winter driving............if you can just get your car started in the morning....

[ August 06, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Patman,
I want to add a data point or two to the thick/thin debate is all.

I've got meticulous mileage records on 10W and 15W-40 in this car, and want to see the effects mileage wise of the thickest oil that I was comfortable with, along with the thinnest.

Both will get about an equal mix of winter/summer.

See, my logic is that this morning, after going from 15W-40 to 25W-70, I will have a very clear impression of how it starts and warms up. Then it will run 'till summer.

In summer, I'll grab a sample, and go to the thin stuff, and once again have a very clear impression of how it runs in the hotter months.

Besides, the car is only a 1987 Camira (J Car)station wagon, that I would get virtually nothing for, in spite of it's good mechanical condition (doesn't look pretty).

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Patman,

You forgot...Australia is in the southern hemisphere and the Coriolis Effect actually makes the oil a 70W25...it is perfect for winter driving............if you can just get your car started in the morning....

LOL, the coliolis effect isn't quite as great as some think.

There seems to be a point at which it fades out of the picture. Our toilets rotate in opposite directions, but our speedways are both run anticlockwise.
dunno.gif
dunno.gif

Shannow,

With all that countermovement going on, which direction do the toilets at the speedways flow when they flush?
grin.gif

PS I marvel at how skilled we are at moving completely away from the central theme of a lot of these threads....but it is SO MUCH FUN when we do. We are a bunch of loquacious buggars aren't we?

[ August 06, 2003, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

pscholte, it's one of the great things about this board, that we can veer off a little, just like a good conversation.

But back on topic.

The oil has been in the Camira a week so far.

Initial observations are that it takes no longer for the oil pressure light to go out, and the oil to hit the top end (I guess that it doesn't drain back very well). Cranking seems a little slower at -6C than the Delo.

The car IS down on performance, feeling a bit sluggish until really well warmed up, then the seat of the pants dyno reads about the same.

First tenk of juice (not conclusive, as it's only one, and is only the first), shows about a 1km/l mileage drop (about 3MPG). Guess that this oil isn't CAFE approved.

Bump thread resurrection...

Never got the UAO, sold the car in favour of a 4Runner RV6 back in the day.

Note observation at the time that oil pressure light took no longer to go out.

Mileage hit was about 1km/l, (7ish %) on a 15km commute.

G'day Shannow,

I didn't realise it was an old thread bumped to start with. I wasn't concerned about your oil viscosity choice, more that you openly admitted in a public forum that you own a Camira,
eek.gif
I thought uh oh, the Aussie members are going to give it to him for this one for sure.
grin.gif

Best wishes,
Jason.

Last edited:
Jason, it was the "big block" 2.0L, but I agree, 23+ cars in my career, and it was without a doubt the stupidest purchase that I ever made.

Was supposed to be some sort of sensible family man thing (wagon, with air con and a third row of seats...Parent's had a Pulsar Vector SSS with the Camira motor in it, and I loved it...not the Camira 'though.

Plain dumb, I agree.

I was only doing a bit of good old fashioned Aussie stirring but they certainly weren't well regarded in their day, that's for sure. What about the upmarket, sporty model, the SJ I think it was called, if I remember correctly the advertising slogan was "you're mother will hate it", hilarious.

Best wishes,
Jason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back