SHELL HELIX- Now if we could only get this stuff in NA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got $60 a quart, no problem.
grin.gif

Isn't Rotella Synth the same basestock with more additives?

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
I've got $60 a quart, no problem.
grin.gif

Isn't Rotella Synth the same basestock with more additives?

No. Rotella T Syn is comprised of 70-80% XHVI with NO esters or PAO. Helix Ultra has about 10-20% XHVI with the rest of the base oil being PAO and esters.

For purposes of comparing Rotella T Syn to Helix, it is more like Helix Plus than Helix Ultra. Helix Plus is primarily XHVI based.

G-man, you know your shYt. Helix Ultra, Helix Plus...so many oils...arrrgh! Thanks for the info, again. I am attracted to Rotella Synth by process of elimation. ACEA A3 spec, HT/HS = 4.0, 5w winter rating, all for $3.25 at the store I visit weekly anyway for GROCERIES !
tongue.gif

Hmmm. 6.5 quarts per change, $60 per quart = $390 each time w/o a filter... 9 changes in 100K miles = $3510.

Pass. I'll pull the motor and replace it every 100K instead...

wink.gif

[ October 14, 2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Helix Ultra uses a mix of PAO, esters, and XHVI (Shell's proprietary Group III wax isomerate). You can get it in North America at Ferrari dealers—just be prepared to pay anywhere from $20.00/qt (0w40) to $60.00/qt (10w60). These are the only two grades imported.

Base stock depends on Helix Ultra grade (see links):
http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/products.php?c=2

http://www2.shell.com/home/se-sv/ht...ukter/varuinformationsblad/smorjmedel/dir.htm

http://www3.shell.no/op/hmschess/chess/html/grp_4/dir.htm

In Europe retail prices of 0W-40 and 10W-60 are nearly equal and may vary from country to country:
- E.Europe: $ 9,50-13,00/l
- W.Europe: e 10,00-19,00/l
and they are in line with those of Shell competitors. The highest price I saw was at Shell Gas Stations in Germany: e 19,00/l for any grade: 0W-40, 5W-30 5W-40, 10W-60.

Given Distributors' wholesales prices in E.Europe
5W-40: $ 5,70-7,65
0W-40: $ 7,15-9,10
10W-60: $ 7,70-9,70
min. 15 % margin, 10 % Import Duty and 20 % VAT, I would suppose their price in the USA and Canada may be in the range of $ 9-11/l, if naturally Shell decides to supply 0W-40 and 10W-60 to your market. At least they should not exceed prices of Mobil1 0W-40 and Motul 8100 0W-40.

Guys,

I was REALLY excited about Helix Ultra too until I saw this in another thread from sprintman:

"yannis if that is the same Shell Helix ultra 5W40 as we have here in Oz it's the worst performing syn of all time with respect to anti-wear on our Timken tester and that's saying something. BP Visco 5000 5W40 eats it but then so does anything else"

Of course, one post and one Timken does not a performance reputation make, but it surely cooled my enthusiasm!

Hi,
Shell Helix Ultra is an extremely good lubricant with a great reputation

Shell have been manufacturing synthetics for a very long time - for engines and driveline
My first use of their diff and gearbox synthetics occurred about 25 years ago

I have used Helix Ultra for at least a decade in a variety of engines. From ride on mowers to a Porsche
UOAs for this oil in my Porsche have been posted here four times

I believe that Shell's XHVI base stocks are used by other oil makers too

Regards

I belive Amsoil buys VII's from Shell also. So what is $5,75? Is that $5.75qt? Most likely if they sold it here, it would be priced high to start and then drop as they sold more. M1 owns 63% of the market so they can afford to sell there oil at $5qt. However, Shell Helix looks to be a better oil. To be honest though, we have Amsoil and Redline in the US which are as good as any oils out there in the "high end" syn lube market. Amsoil just buys from all the big guys and builds a good oil..
smile.gif

Thanks Patman for making the link smaller.
cheers.gif

[ October 14, 2003, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

buster, Do you have a quick link to A3 spec.? buster did you ever decide if you were going to keep the case of Redline you bought? I am asking out of selfish reasons really. I am trying to get as many people to try Redline as possable to get some data. I am especialy interested since it would be going in your trusty Corolla! Thanks!

P.S. How does Redline 5W30 and Amsoil 5W30 compare in reguards to A3 spec.??

[ October 14, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

Hi,
in pricing terms Shell Helix Ultra is sold here at the low end! Typically it sells for
Castrol R series is around the same to 10% higher and Mobil's new M1 for about 10%-15% higher

I don't think Helix Ultra is a big seller here
but honestly I don't know

Every dealing I have had with Shell's Engineers in the past has been most professional
Shell was the original factory fill of Porsche for probably over 30 years until the mid 1990s

Regards

I know one UOA doesn't tell the entire tale, but one of our very best UOAs on this board was from Ken in Singapore who ran 10w50 Shell Helix in his Toyota.

And it's still the record holder for worst syn we have tried on our Timken. I know it's only looking at anti-wear capability but should be a lot better IMO. Several dino's beat it particularly Lubrication Engineers, Fuchs, and several BP oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
Shell Helix Ultra is an extremely good lubricant with a great reputation

Shell have been manufacturing synthetics for a very long time - for engines and driveline
My first use of their diff and gearbox synthetics occurred about 25 years ago

I have used Helix Ultra for at least a decade in a variety of engines. From ride on mowers to a Porsche
UOAs for this oil in my Porsche have been posted here four times

I believe that Shell's XHVI base stocks are used by other oil makers too

Regards

Believe 15W-50 is one of the best, but it is not available even in Spain with their hot climate.
Everything is OK with 5W-30, contradictionary opinions on 0W-40, but as for 5W-40, given what I know about this stuff myself I would trust to Shell employee at gas station in Germany who, showing 5W-40, shortly said: "scheisse". Not really, but slightly above an average oil and worse then Helix Plus 10W-40. Think it was really good only in early 90th.

quote:

buster, Do you have a quick link to A3 spec.? buster did you ever decide if you were going to keep the case of Redline you bought? I am asking out of selfish reasons really. I am trying to get as many people to try Redline as possable to get some data. I am especialy interested since it would be going in your trusty Corolla! Thanks!

P.S. How does Redline 5W30 and Amsoil 5W30 compare in reguards to A3 spec.??

John, I don't have the RL. I sold it. My wife's car is on Amsoil and I've used both Amsoil and M1 over the course of 138k miles. RL is expensive for me and I have a pref. customer rate with Amsoil so I wanted to take advantage of it. I'm going to start using just Amsoil/Mobil 1 in the future for cost and availability reasons and the fact they are very similar. I also think these might be better extended drain oils and this winter I really want to get away from changing it often. I still believe RL will prove to be a great oil. I do sometimes wish I tested in the Corolla bc the engine is very clean. Sorry.
frown.gif

Redline oils are not ACEA certified, but that doesn't mean anything. If any oils meet these specs., it's RL! Amsoil 5w-30 does meet the A3 spec.
smile.gif

To me, it is strange that within an oil family, i.e. Helix Ultra, performance varies by weight. I know that Ferrari's reliability in F1 has been excellent with Shell engine oil, but then who knows what blend they actually are running, since I am sure that Shell engineers are constantly tinkering with the race oil, maybe even race by race. Who knows if Helix Ultra on the street even vaguely resembles what's in the dry sumps of the F1 cars. I have a very high regard for Shell and I am disappointed that Helix Ultra doesn't appear to be a solid performer across the board. As I believe Doug Hillary said, it was recommended by Porsche for years...maybe more than a financial arrangement led to them moving to M1.

It's a safe bet to assume that any large oil company such as Shell, ExxonMobil and others can make superior oils due to R&D. I'm not specifically saying RETAIL oils, but in the Racing circle, Terry has stated, that Mobil makes Polyester based oils like RL for certain racing applications. The engineers at these big oil companies know what there doing, trust me. They get the top chemists to work for them.

click here

They make some awesome oils. Factory fill for Ferrari and their 5w-30 is A3 rated. Are most group IV or III's or both?

edit-made the URL a shorter width clickable link

[ October 14, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back