Shell Helix HX5 10w30 (mineral oil) is A3/B3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are probably some old specs, before 2001 as the A2 is no longer valid. Like finding an API SF oil. I wouldn't use that oil in a new engine

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Those are probably some old specs, before 2001 as the A2 is no longer valid. Like finding an API SF oil. I wouldn't use that oil in a new engine

It says A3, not A2. It's an SN/CF, ACEA A3//B3 oil.

Yes, but in the SL 10W-40 they put the A2/B2. And they are not allowed to do that because is obsolete. I assumed that since they are comfortable in putting obsolete specs, that they would do the same in the SN. If you claim an ACEA rating, it must be the actual one. Lesser oils normally get around this by puting ACEA A3/B3-04 or something like that so they are claiming not an actual rating but an earlier one.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Yes, but in the SL 10W-40 they put the A2/B2. And they are not allowed to do that because is obsolete. I assumed that since they are comfortable in putting obsolete specs, that they would do the same in the SN. If you claim an ACEA rating, it must be the actual one. Lesser oils normally get around this by puting ACEA A3/B3-04 or something like that so they are claiming not an actual rating but an earlier one.

I see your point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back