Shell Helix 10w60 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use this stuff? ($60 a quart). I understand that this is the required oil for the Enzo Ferrari. The Enzo holds 12.2 qts. so a OC costs $732.00. I think I would want to go for extended drain intervals and UOA.

quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull:
Anyone use this stuff? ($60 a quart). I understand that this is the required oil for the Enzo Ferrari. The Enzo holds 12.2 qts. so a OC costs $732.00. I think I would want to go for extended drain intervals and UOA.

Heh - if you bought an Enzo, I doubt you would even blink at a $732.00 oil change. Of course you're forgetting the cost of a filter and labor at the Ferrari dealership.

I believe that this has been discussed several times. Someone said that the only way to get this stuff is from Ferrari dealers or to import it in 55 gallons drums.

Does Ferrari actually say in writing that you must use Shell Helix 10w60? If so, wouldn't they have to provide the oil for free? I'm sure there's something I'm missing. I imagine that Ferrari has an oil spec & this is the only one they found to meet their criteria.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by benjamming:
Does Ferrari actually say in writing that you must use Shell Helix 10w60? If so, wouldn't they have to provide the oil for free? I'm sure there's something I'm missing. I imagine that Ferrari has an oil spec & this is the only one they found to meet their criteria.
dunno.gif

as far as i know, they will not warrant the engine if you do not use this oil. thats a $200,000+ dollar engine. A ~$850 oil change is worth it in that case.

Brake pads costs more for the enzo. about $6000 for all four corners. and thr rotors are another about $4000.

I like the porsche carerra GT, i think it is more user firendly as far as maintenence goes. but ooohh...the enzo, if i even got one day with it, wait even one hour with it..i could die happy.

Pardon me if my redneck shows. But just exactly how much does one of these Enzo things cost?

But if you compare the cost of a brake job $10,000, to the cost of a normal auto brake job, then $700+ for an oil change. Seems to be right on the money. Cost me about $15 for an oil change using synthetic, about $150 for a brake job w/labor on me.

Sounds to me,like a dollar waiting on a dime.

Technically you'd have to pay more than that. They were all sold before they were made, so you'll have to convice one of the wealthy owners to sell theirs.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by tec97:

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
I agree with you that it is an interesting topic. It would be interesting if some posted a UOA of this oil. Wouldn't it be funny if dino Penzoil posted better UOAs.

Would that be a comment on the oil, or on the Ferrari engine? Who all uses this oil in other cars?

This was a comment on the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:

... Brake pads costs more for the enzo. about $6000 for all four corners. and thr rotors are another about $4000...

[/QB]

4 grand for all 4 rotors seems "cheap" for Ferrari. Or you meant for 1 rotor?

Ceramic disk brakes for Porsche GT3 (MSRP around $100k) come only as an additional equipment at about $9000. I guess if you buy each retail from dealer they would ask around 2500-3000 dollars for each rotor.

Such a high price in N.A. may be caused only by transport cost and limited offer. In Europe this oil is offered from $ 11-12/l to e 18-19/l. Available at any Shell gas stations. According to bar code it's made in UK.

Sometimes it's quite difficult to understand price strategy of oil companies. Mobil1 of N.A. origine is sold in Russia at $ 10-11/q, i.e. at the price equal to M1 0W-40 made in France or Finland. Well, it may be explained why not at $ 5-6/q like in N.A. But it's difficult to find explanation why Castrol sells Formula SLX 0W-30 at 12-19 euro/l in Germany against $ 6-7 in N.America and $ 10-11 in E.Europe. I know that some of our sellers often indicate considerably higher price for a product then it really costs just in the purpose to underline certain exclusivity and authenticity of their product. This helps to nicely deceive buyers and thereby to increase sales.

quote:

Originally posted by Titanium_Alloy:

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:

... Brake pads costs more for the enzo. about $6000 for all four corners. and thr rotors are another about $4000...
4 grand for all 4 rotors seems "cheap" for Ferrari. Or you meant for 1 rotor?

Ceramic disk brakes for Porsche GT3 (MSRP around $100k) come only as an additional equipment at about $9000. I guess if you buy each retail from dealer they would ask around 2500-3000 dollars for each rotor. [/QB]

meant to say $24,000 for the rotors. $6,000 for the pads. Enzo info

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:

quote:

Originally posted by twentynine:
Pardon me if my redneck shows. But just exactly how much does one of these Enzo things cost?

About 800 grand.
shocked.gif

That's if you buy it from Ferrari! If you buy it used....it's more!!
The reason is that Ferrari won't sell you an Enzo unless you have a history of owning Top of the line Ferraris. You must've owned an F40 and an F50 in order to get an Enzo. People with tons of cash pay more for a used one, especially if they don't necessarily have a history of owning Ferraris.....basically is like basketball or baseball finals tickets....the dudes outside the stadium rape you mercelessly!
Saw a few days ago an Enzo that the owner paid 1.2M for it.....the owner was getting new rims for. It was featured in one of those car shows on Discovery Channel.

quote:

I believe that this has been discussed several times. Someone said that the only way to get this stuff is from Ferrari dealers or to import it in 55 gallons drums.

Sorry SSDude but it has only been touched on in one thread http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000219

Thought it would be interesting to discuss with the members that are really sharp on this information to bring to light what might make a POA oil this expensive and why Ferrari states that this is the only oil that can be used in the Enzo??? Most of us complain about $6 per quart for a synthetic. How can this oil be worth 10X's more per quart? Since you think this has been discussed several times before (when I did a search I could not find any more than a cursory post) Please enlighten me with what you have learned about this oil. Thanks

I agree with you that it is an interesting topic. It would be interesting if some posted a UOA of this oil. Wouldn't it be funny if dino Penzoil posted better UOAs.

quote:

Would that be a comment on the oil, or on the Ferrari engine? Who all uses this oil in other cars?

quote:

Well, if you have to worry about the cost of a $700 OC, they you probably aren't (or shouldn't be) driving an Enzo. From an analytical perspective, I'd say two things are at work here. First, it is fair to allow for some degree of added cost resulting from distributing a very low volume product. How much that ought to add to the price, I'll leave to the oil industry insiders.

Second, raw supply and demand power is at work too. Remember the Hondas of the 1980s? I can remember brazen dealer stickers declaring "Additional Dealer Profit" on an Accord of $2,500! At least they were straightforward about it, unlike present day Toyota dealers who expect to stick you with a $650 "Toyoguard" wax job. The Enzo obviously has a very high performance engine that needs high performance oil (hmmm, not a 5w-20, either...). They know you need it, they've got it, and they know you can pay for it. A virtual recipe for an economic hose job.

[ May 07, 2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: ekpolk ]

quote:

Thought it would be interesting to discuss with the members that are really sharp on this information to bring to light what might make a POA oil this expensive and why Ferrari states that this is the only oil that can be used in the Enzo???

It's my theory that this Helix 10w60 is the specially blended Helix that Shell produces for Ferrari Formula race engines. And since the Enzo is basically a race car that has been refined for street use, but is nevertheless capable of 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and running well over 200 mph, Ferrari has spec'd the racing oil for it.

If my theory is correct, this oil is produced in such limited quantities that the cost would naturally be high. It could be that had Ferrari not spec'd the use of this oil in the Enzo, Shell probably wouldn't even be selling it at "retail," albeit through the Ferrari dealers only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back