SHELL CHEVRON TEXACO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After searching in past posts, I am now more confused. Chevron and Texaco are one combined company, and Shell is a different company, right? Yet all the Texaco stations in my area are being renamed Shell. In an earlier post, it says something about Texaco/Shell stations are, and will be, selling Shell gas, after July 1 2004. But Texaco oil (Havoline) is Chevron/Texaco, and will continue to use the Texaco, or Havoline, name on its oil products. Could someone simplify this for my weak mind?

I guess my main question is whether, in 10 years, we will have Havoline oil, or Chevron oil, or Shell oil? Or Havronell oil?

Excuse me while I go get some aspirin........

In my area, Texaco went to Shell. Amoco went to BP but selling Chevron oil products. The Amoco/BP station owner I spoke with mentioned that BP purchased the gasoline refineries, etc from Amoco, and Chevron bought the lubrication refineries, etc. I was also told that Royal Purple gets their base stocks from Shell, just as Mobil-1, but that is another topic. Anyway, I think it comes from buyers buying certain parts of the companies and them being broken up in the sale process.

No clue, its a good thing Castrol didn't buy em though, or you might get Castor oil
grin.gif

The FTC allowed the Chevron and Texaco merger to proceed. However one of the terms was a requirement that they sell off the Texaco Refining and Marketing Assets in the USA because combined they would control to much of the US market. Shell bought some if not all of these assets. Since Shell owned a percentage (20%?) of Texaco prior to the merger their is a good chance a large part of this deal could be made on a non-cash basis.

Gene

[ June 25, 2004, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

These oil company mergers are very confusing. I try not to think about it much unless I see a drop in quality on the brands I use. Otherwise they'd have driven me crazy long ago.

OK, aspirin is not working.....
I am assuming we will continue to get Havoline oil, with their new synthetics, alongside Chevron oil, also alongside Shell oils?
What about Chevron Delo, alongside Havoline Ursa, alongside Shell Rotella?

Sorry to beat a dead horse here.

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
No clue, its a good thing Castrol didn't buy em though, or you might get Castor oil
grin.gif

lol.gif

Just today I noticed my favorite local gas station (Texaco) has been changed to Shell. It must have happened within the last 5 days because last weekend it was still Texaco.

I think I remember reading here that Shell used 10% ethanol. I don't know if Texaco gas contained ethanol but my car seemed to have some more zip with Texaco over Shell. I'm going to have to do some checking into which gasolines use ethanol and which don't.

quote:

Originally posted by MAJA:
OK, aspirin is not working.....
I am assuming we will continue to get Havoline oil, with their new synthetics, alongside Chevron oil, also alongside Shell oils?
What about Chevron Delo, alongside Havoline Ursa, alongside Shell Rotella?

Sorry to beat a dead horse here.

MAJA Re-Read my previous post.

1. Texaco Refineries in the US now belong to Shell.

2. Texaco Gas Stations in US now Shell.

3. Havoline has to much brand recognition in the consumer section to be discontinued.

4. Chevron Lubricants has to much recognition in the industial, commercial, and aviation industries to be discontinued.

5. Same product in different bottles.

Gene

For several years, Shell owned the Texaco name and marketed oil and gas under both names (the lubricants company was called Equilon). On January 1, 2002, Chevron took over the Texaco name, but with many provisions for Shell to continue doing business under the Texaco name concurrently with Chevron for a period of several months. For lubes in particular, Shell had the right to market Texaco-branded products until last summer. Shell pretty quickly quit making Texaco-branded lubes other than Havoline, which they produced right up to the end of their contract provision (last summer). Toward the end of their provisional period, Shell sold Havoline at ridiculously low prices, which hurt the brand's reputation somewhat. Equilon Havoline stayed on store shelves for quite awhile, and is probably still hanging around a few places. ChevronTexaco (CTX) has been producing and marketing Texaco lubricants (including Havoline) since January 2002. CTX is promoting Texaco lubricants, particularly Havoline, and will continue to produce Texaco lubes into the foreseeable future.

Fuel is another matter. I'm not as familiar with the fuel situation, but Shell has continued to market Texaco-branded fuels and intended to convert all existing Texaco outlets to Shell by the summer of last year, to remove Texaco's name from the market as much as possible. They weren't 100% successful. On July 1, 2004 ChevronTexaco will begin marketing fuel under the Texaco name and you will begin to notice many more Texaco fuel outlets in areas where the brand recognition is strong (mainly southeastern states).

If you're curious about any other aspect of the Shell/Texaco/Chevron relationship, feel free to email me.

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
I think I remember reading here that Shell used 10% ethanol.

A number of states (New York and California included) have mandated ethanol instead of MTBE (fouled aquafer and attendant health concerns) as the emissions reducing oxygenator. In some locales with significant smog problems, bordering states have had to adopt ethanol, too. Since California adopted ethanol this year in January, I noticed an immediate 10 cent a gallon increase in gas pricing (before the big run-up) and a consistent 1 mpg reduction in city driving. Life's three universal caveats:

>This won't hurt a bit.
>Don't worry - I had a vasectomy.
>We're from the Government and we're here to help you.

Just about all the Texaco stations here have switched to Shell. I think I have seen one Texaco station, and I don't know why they haven't switched.

Shell has a near monopoly in Arkansas, or so it seems to me.

I have had no problems with Shell gasoline, except for one particular station! I always get 3-4 mpg less with gas from that place.

quote:

Originally posted by acovington:
For several years, Shell owned the Texaco name and marketed oil and gas under both names (the lubricants company was called Equilon).

Careful - Shell has never exclsuively owned the Texaco name.

Texaco was a totally independant company prior to the merger with Chevron.

Texaco did operate many facilities in partnership with Shell, operating under the Equilon banner.

That is why you could find two completely different Havoline oils, depending on whether it was produced and marketed by Equilon or exclusively by Texaco, even well before the ChevronTexaco merger.

Shell cherry picked the stations it wanted from the Texaco network while it has had exclusive rights to the Texaco gasoline brand. The ones it doesn't want are forced to go independent, join another brand, or wait until ChevronTexaco regains use of the Texaco brand for gasoline, which as pointed out will happen soon, and eventually Shell will not have any rights to the Texaco name - they will have all reverted back to ChevronTexaco.

Now I'm more confused. In PA, we still have Texaco stations. No Chevron stations that I know of, and very few Shell. But when I travel, I always try to find Chevron because my car seems to run best on Chevron gas. Can someone tell me if and when my local Texaco stations will be selling Chevron gas?

Texaco gas station info from the website:

Q: What is happening with Texaco stations in the United States?

A: ChevronTexaco is the owner of the Texaco brand. As part of the Oct. 9, 2001, merger of Chevron and Texaco, Shell Oil Products US and Motiva Enterprises, LLC hold, until June 30, 2004, exclusive licensing agreements to the Texaco brand in the U.S. gasoline market. ChevronTexaco has announced that it will begin selling gasoline under the Texaco retail brand beginning on July 1, 2004.

Q: Who currently owns and uses the Texaco and Havoline family of brands in the United States?

A: ChevronTexaco is the owner of the Texaco family of brands, including Texaco, Havoline, Xpress Lube, Ursa and others.

Currently, ChevronTexaco does not sell motor fuels under the Texaco brand in the U.S., nor does it operate Star Mart convenience stores in the U.S. It has licensed Shell Oil Products US and Motiva Enterprises, LLC to use those brand names in the U.S. for the marketing of gasoline, diesel fuel, synthetic gasoline and diesel fuels and other synthetic fuels for motor vehicles, and automotive products sold through Texaco-branded retail stations, exclusively until June 30, 2004, and then on a nonexclusive basis until June 30, 2006. ChevronTexaco has announced that it will begin selling motor fuels under the Texaco retail brand on July 1, 2004.

Texaco Website Source

ChevronPhillips makes Group I-III and Group IV PAO oils as well.

I thought ConocoPhillips merged, not ChevronPhillips???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back