Shell buys free charging station operator Volta

Probably a good move if they can figure out how to capitalize on it. Electric cars are selling like crazy it would be a smart for oil companies to hedge their bets with it. As far as free charging I guess we'll see how long that lasts.

After thinking about it for a second I would think this would make perfect sense as far as the business agreements go that most need to secure land for charging. This would be easy enough for them to add on their already existing fuel stations. I doubt this is the last that we hear about this.

The idea makes sense. Combine electric charging at their big gasoline stations. They will need a choke and puke inside for customers to buy snacks and drinks while they wait. Rest rooms are already there.

The EV charging customers will be more of a captive audience than the gasoline customers.

Probably a good move if they can figure out how to capitalize on it. Electric cars are selling like crazy it would be a smart for oil companies to hedge their bets with it. As far as free charging I guess we'll see how long that lasts.

After thinking about it for a second I would think this would make perfect sense as far as the business agreements go that most need to secure land for charging. This would be easy enough for them to add on their already existing fuel stations. I doubt this is the last that we hear about this.
I think moving forward we can refer to them as energy companies. Electric, Oil, Gas, h2 and whatever else they have up their sleeve.
One thing for sure, 10 years down the road if you are one of the few that bought an EV to save money on gas ... well ... you're in for a surprise. Unless you provide your own solar energy.

No surprise here - Volta never made any sense to me.
The team that dreamt up that model clearly had no experience with EV travel.
If the ad pays for the whole thing who is going to buy the ads?

People don't generally stand around or bother looking at chargers for long after establishing connection.

Supercharger clients typically - go right to their cell phones, or off to a bathroom, snack, coffee, or simply get back in the car.
There is no interface on the charger, the car handshakes, and it starts.

Electrify America custmomers get to try to read and get everything going from outdoor screens with varying instructions with very little to usually no sunshading.

Last edited:
I think moving forward we can refer to them as energy companies. Electric, Oil, Gas, h2 and whatever else they have up their sleeve.
One thing for sure, 10 years down the road if you are one of the few that bought an EV to save money on gas ... well ... you're in for a surprise. Unless you provide your own solar energy.
Power costs would have to more than quadruple to cost more than fuel and if that happens we all aren't paying our power bills. Pretty ridiculous statement though because gas isn't going to get any cheaper either. It has lulls in price but it always trends upwards.

Power costs would have to more than quadruple to cost more than fuel and if that happens we all aren't paying our power bills. Pretty ridiculous statement though because gas isn't going to get any cheaper either. It has lulls in price but it always trends upwards.
How can you comment without saying how much you pay per kWh?
Many areas of the country also tack on peak electric charges. I can buy gas anytime of day.
Gasoline inflation adjusted isn’t very expensive at all. I haven’t done the numbers but suspect electric rates have gone up more over the past 50 years than gasoline.

Gas was over $1 a gallon in the 1970s now it’s just about $3 a gallon, gosh the taxes went up I think more than the gas itself!

But forget that, I can easily afford gasoline so I’ll take the convenience and SAFTEY for my main vehicle over a battery operated vehicle. I think as EV vehicles become popular safety is going to be an issue with many of these charging stations. I know one thing for sure I would not want my wife or daughter low on battery power to be stuck charging up a vehicle at night someplace or even day in someplaces.

The nation could never have enough power for battery operated cars without gasoline cars so be thankful EVs will only be maybe 30% of Americans main vehicle in the next 30 years.

Last edited:
How can you comment without saying how much you pay per kWh?
Many areas of the country also tack on peak electric charges. I can buy gas anytime of day.
Gasoline inflation adjusted isn’t very expensive at all. I haven’t done the numbers but suspect electric rates have gone up more over the past 50 years than gasoline.

Gas was over $1 a gallon in the 1970s now it’s just about $3 a gallon, gosh the taxes went up I think more than the gas itself!

But forget that, I can easily afford gasoline so I’ll take the convenience and SAFTEY for my main vehicle over a battery operated vehicle. I think as EV vehicles become popular safety is going to be an issue with many of these charging stations. I know one thing for sure I would not want my wife or daughter low on battery power to be stuck charging up a vehicle at night someplace or even day in someplaces.

The nation could never have enough power for battery operated cars without gasoline cars so be thankful EVs will only be maybe 30% of Americans main vehicle in the next 30 years.

We have flat rate electric here. It's $0.13/kWh which equals about $10 for a full charge if I completely drained the vehicle. I actually have the energy company updating my bill to see if I would benefit from going to an on peak/off peak billing schedule. Not sure why you need my electric rate to decide whether it's cheaper. It would have to be almost $0.50 a kWh flat rate to cost as much as my 35mpg car.

Gas isn't more than it is right now because it's subsidized and it shouldn't be. Don't forget in this push for electric eventually the government is going to start pulling the plug on oil subsidies. They want electric to a level that is disgusting and I don't agree with them pushing it, though I'd rather drive an electric car I don't want everyone else to be forced to.

Explain to me how a gas car is safer? They're much less likely to catch fire. They almost never roll over due to the low center of gravity. I would recommend checking out Teslas's Model X rollover tests. It's really cool. The vehicle almost tips and then immediately rolls back onto its tires. It almost doesn't look real. They also benefit that there isn't an engine to compensate for in crumple zones they're typically rated higher and safer in front end collisions.

I don't know what you're citing for safety charging locations. That's a new one for me. I'm not saying there aren't some in unsafe areas, but I've been to gas stations and unsafe areas and I just tend to drive to the next one. I feel like this would be universal for both. I've yet to see one that wasn't in a safe lighted area by businesses. I plug in and go in the store for 15 minutes.

I really don't care if everyone went electric. I want people to drive what they want. I also would like for people who don't like it to understand that complaining with made up facts only causes disagreement and you aren't going to change anyone's mind. With facts you have no intention of changing your mind and that's fine, I have no reason to convince you to buy an electric car, it doesn't benefit me. I can also tell you that it doesn't benefit you to tell me why you don't want an electric car(especially citing made up issues). I still bought one and I'll buy another in a few years when I replace my VW. I also don't like being coal rolled by truck bros. I'd like them to get slapped with fines for illegally modifying their vehicles. I don't want diesel trucks to go away though and the fact is that even modified this way if they didn't try and blow smoke through my window then I wouldn't likely know they've modified it and I wouldn't care that they did. I still don't understand why this is a thing. It happened years back(intentionally lining up their exhaust pipe with my down window and trying to smoke me out) when I'd drive my GTO and now that I'm no longer driving a truck or SUV it happens in my GTI and it happens with the Tesla.

Keep in mind this is the electric part of the forum. Us electric car owners aren't going into PCMO and calling everyone idiots for paying for oil changes.

We have flat rate electric here. It's $0.13/kWh which equals about $10 for a full charge if I completely drained the vehicle. I actually have the energy company updating my bill to see if I would benefit from going to an on peak/off peak billing schedule. Not sure why you need my electric rate to decide whether it's cheaper. It would have to be almost $0.50 a kWh flat rate to cost as much as my 35mpg car.

Gas isn't more than it is right now because it's subsidized and it shouldn't be. Don't forget in this push for electric eventually the government is going to start pulling the plug on oil subsidies. They want electric to a level that is disgusting and I don't agree with them pushing it, though I'd rather drive an electric car I don't want everyone else to be forced to.

Explain to me how a gas car is safer? They're much less likely to catch fire. They almost never roll over due to the low center of gravity. I would recommend checking out Teslas's Model X rollover tests. It's really cool. The vehicle almost tips and then immediately rolls back onto its tires. It almost doesn't look real. They also benefit that there isn't an engine to compensate for in crumple zones they're typically rated higher and safer in front end collisions.

I don't know what you're citing for safety charging locations. That's a new one for me. I'm not saying there aren't some in unsafe areas, but I've been to gas stations and unsafe areas and I just tend to drive to the next one. I feel like this would be universal for both. I've yet to see one that wasn't in a safe lighted area by businesses. I plug in and go in the store for 15 minutes.

I really don't care if everyone went electric. I want people to drive what they want. I also would like for people who don't like it to understand that complaining with made up facts only causes disagreement and you aren't going to change anyone's mind. With facts you have no intention of changing your mind and that's fine, I have no reason to convince you to buy an electric car, it doesn't benefit me. I can also tell you that it doesn't benefit you to tell me why you don't want an electric car(especially citing made up issues). I still bought one and I'll buy another in a few years when I replace my VW. I also don't like being coal rolled by truck bros. I'd like them to get slapped with fines for illegally modifying their vehicles. I don't want diesel trucks to go away though and the fact is that even modified this way if they didn't try and blow smoke through my window then I wouldn't likely know they've modified it and I wouldn't care that they did. I still don't understand why this is a thing. It happened years back(intentionally lining up their exhaust pipe with my down window and trying to smoke me out) when I'd drive my GTO and now that I'm no longer driving a truck or SUV it happens in my GTI and it happens with the Tesla.

Keep in mind this is the electric part of the forum. Us electric car owners aren't going into PCMO and calling everyone idiots for paying for oil changes.
I answered your post in a sincere way and you accuse me of "made up facts" (your words) So let's get off the high horse as you posted in the long last paragraph. I think sometimes it really does come from some EV owners but maybe a bit from each side of the debate. You say you dont care what someone drives but you attack someone when they present a valid counter view.
Unlike you, I truly do not care what one drives as referenced in many posts in here, it will always be gasoline for my main vehicle, there is no EV that can replace it but I ALWAYS said one day for my wife's car which is a second vehicle at the right price an EV would be a contender for sure.

Now to answer your legitimate questions before that long last crazy paragraph.
1. From posts in here I have read some areas of the country, I THINK CA, pay as much as 30 or 40 cents a kWh.
I pay roughly 10 cents, DO the math my friend. Now, if I charge an EV at peak times, my electric co-op with take the highest kWh of the month and add that to my bill. DO you know how much that is? It is $12 a kWh. (TWELVE DOLLARS)

2. Here we go with subsides again, I could care less to answer this. I pay what I pay, just like someone right now gets a $7,500 subsidy on an EV right now, today. I wont bite on this subject. Gas cost me what it does and you want to deflect that its within the cost of inflation for the last 50+ years. Come on man.

3. Ohhhhh... the gas fire thing sorry I could care less about EV fires and Gas fires.
You lose of the personal safety front by a mile. If you think your loved one isnt at risk sitting alone in the dark (or even daylight) with no one around for 20 plus minutes while your car charges vs almost an unlimited amount of lit up gas stations with people around, well then its pointless even having a discussion with you. I think about this all the time when I pass the chargers at a nearby Walmart. Kind of an urban setting and in a dark remote area on the Walmart parking area right outside this area on the main road there are multiple gas stations and I dont know where you live, but modern gas stations are staffed and lit up almost as bright as sunshine at night.

4. You're delusional if you think I called you an idiot or called anyone in this forum an idiot.

Maybe you need to re-read my post. I posted it below word for word for the benefit of others, I take your comments as an offense.

"How can you comment without saying how much you pay per kWh?

The nation could never have enough power for battery operated cars without gasoline cars so be thankful EVs will only be maybe 30% of Americans main vehicle in the next 30 years."

Last edited:
I answered your post in a sincere way and you accuse me of "made up facts" (your words) So let's get off the high horse as you posted in the long last paragraph. I think sometimes it really does come from some EV owners but maybe a bit from each side of the debate. You say you dont care what someone drives but you attack someone when they present a valid counter view.
Unlike you, I truly do not care what one drives as referenced in many posts in here, it will always be gasoline for my main vehicle, there is no EV that can replace it but I ALWAYS said one day for my wife's car which is a second vehicle at the right price an EV would be a contender for sure.

Now to answer your legitimate questions before that long last crazy paragraph.
1. From posts in here I have read some areas of the country, I THINK CA, pay as much as 30 or 40 cents a kWh.
I pay roughly 10 cents, DO the math my friend. Now, if I charge an EV at peak times, my electric co-op with take the highest kWh of the month and add that to my bill. DO you know how much that is? It is $12 a kWh. (TWELVE DOLLARS)

2. Here we go with subsides again, I could care less to answer this. I pay what I pay, just like someone right now gets a $7,500 subsidy on an EV right now, today. I wont bite on this subject. Gas cost me what it does and you want to deflect that its within the cost of inflation for the last 50+ years. Come on man.

3. Ohhhhh... the gas fire thing sorry I could care less about EV fires and Gas fires.
You lose of the personal safety front by a mile. If you think your loved one isnt at risk sitting alone in the dark (or even daylight) with no one around for 20 plus minutes while your car charges vs almost an unlimited amount of lit up gas stations with people around, well then its pointless even having a discussion with you. I think about this all the time when I pass the chargers at a nearby Walmart. Kind of an urban setting and in a dark remote area on the Walmart parking area right outside this area on the main road there are multiple gas stations and I dont know where you live, but modern gas stations are staffed and lit up almost as bright as sunshine at night.

4. You're delusional if you think I called you an idiot or called anyone in this forum an idiot.

Maybe you need to re-read my post. I posted it below word for word for the benefit of others, I take your comments as an offense.

"How can you comment without saying how much you pay per kWh?

The nation could never have enough power for battery operated cars without gasoline cars so be thankful EVs will only be maybe 30% of Americans main vehicle in the next 30 years."

Peak here is $4.50 a kWh, but almost no one is on that plan. It's a flat $0.13 per kWh which makes it much cheaper here. Lowest off peak is $0.08 and since I just use slow charging for now I doubt I will see a benefit by changing to one of these variable rates as even during off peak times the car's only adding about 1.4 kWh per hour to charge. For me is a huge cost savings but like you mentioned rates are much different in different areas. Gas is also more in CA as well. Definitely a huge turnoff for being there for sure.

I'm just trying to understand your point on safety. If you're only talking about charging that's one thing. I read that as the cars themselves were unsafe. If that's not what you meant then I'm sorry. It seems that EV fires are always a point of attack and if that's not the case I read into that too much. I'm sure there are poorly set up charging stations but I've only ever used Tesla's Superchargers aside from one local charger before our home charger showed up. I've never seen a poorly lit one here, but the main benefit we see is we just charge at home and it's rare we're out far enough away to charge. Even then we've always plugged in and went into the store. The few times we've done it we've planned out where we were going and charged at that location we wanted to shop at. I'm really not sure how this is any less safe the fact that I plugged something into my car before I went into the store as opposed to parking my gas car and going into the store. I'm sure they've been planned for better in some areas than others. Obviously vehicle usage/location plays a huge part in this, I've just yet to see it be a problem here.

I know this doesn't mean much and I would have never thought this before buying a Tesla, but even with people I work with half the conversations end up being some stupid political rant from them. I'll admit I'm defensive about it. I love cars and I find the technology extremely interesting. It just seems like a good amount of the time there's a lot of misinformation and flat out hate involved. If I misunderstood some of what you said I apologize. It's obvious electric cars aren't for you. I can respect that. I've always liked them but up until a couple of years ago I would have never considered buying one. Like anything though we all make concessions for the things we want and you've got to really want it to make it work. That's not to say it's worse than a gas car, but it may be too much of a change for many. If you tried to convert someone to a gas car that had only ever had electric it would be a hard sell to stop and put smelly liquid in a fuel tank and change the oil when necessary.

Peak here is $4.50 a kWh, but almost no one is on that plan. It's a flat $0.13 per kWh which makes it much cheaper here. Lowest off peak is $0.08 and since I just use slow charging for now I doubt I will see a benefit by changing to one of these variable rates as even during off peak times the car's only adding about 1.4 kWh per hour to charge. For me is a huge cost savings but like you mentioned rates are much different in different areas. Gas is also more in CA as well. Definitely a huge turnoff for being there for sure.

I'm just trying to understand your point on safety. If you're only talking about charging that's one thing. I read that as the cars themselves were unsafe. If that's not what you meant then I'm sorry. It seems that EV fires are always a point of attack and if that's not the case I read into that too much. I'm sure there are poorly set up charging stations but I've only ever used Tesla's Superchargers aside from one local charger before our home charger showed up. I've never seen a poorly lit one here, but the main benefit we see is we just charge at home and it's rare we're out far enough away to charge. Even then we've always plugged in and went into the store. The few times we've done it we've planned out where we were going and charged at that location we wanted to shop at. I'm really not sure how this is any less safe the fact that I plugged something into my car before I went into the store as opposed to parking my gas car and going into the store. I'm sure they've been planned for better in some areas than others. Obviously vehicle usage/location plays a huge part in this, I've just yet to see it be a problem here.

I know this doesn't mean much and I would have never thought this before buying a Tesla, but even with people I work with half the conversations end up being some stupid political rant from them. I'll admit I'm defensive about it. I love cars and I find the technology extremely interesting. It just seems like a good amount of the time there's a lot of misinformation and flat out hate involved. If I misunderstood some of what you said I apologize. It's obvious electric cars aren't for you. I can respect that. I've always liked them but up until a couple of years ago I would have never considered buying one. Like anything though we all make concessions for the things we want and you've got to really want it to make it work. That's not to say it's worse than a gas car, but it may be too much of a change for many. If you tried to convert someone to a gas car that had only ever had electric it would be a hard sell to stop and put smelly liquid in a fuel tank and change the oil when necessary.
Great reply, thanks.
I too take things personally if someone thinks I am being, ugh ... argumentative and we can all (and I do) at times read posts wrong.

To clarify for you, Recently we sold our house, it sold so fast we had to rent an apartment, while our new house is built, we live in what is called a gated luxury apartment, to me luxury its not really but the gated part is nice and secure feeling.

My only point that I thought raised what I think was a legitimate concern was one that has only occurred to me recently, which I posted. There is a Walmart just a mile or two away, its in one of the nearby state capital busy shopping and dining areas. I took notice of the charging station there, it's been there a while now. This is a HUGE shopping area and the area the chargers are is not the best lit areas. My thought about safety was I cant imagine my wife or daughter (or even my son or I) being stuck with a battery getting low on a trip someplace and having to use a station like this one to recharge. Kind of would feel like a sitting duck waiting to get robbed or worse.
I say this because much has changed in the area (and in this country) from even 10 years ago, even though this is REALLY a major dining and shopping area, its not anywhere near what it used to be. Seems like in the least 5 years or so, all of a sudden we have pan handlers, homeless in the area, just a bit more uncomfortable. The area even though the population is growing like crazy on the outskirts the main dining area has taken on a bit more urban feeling in the downtown.
Actually sort of why we are moving and a been there, done that feeling, time for a new experience.

Gosh, another long post.
So anyway, that was the only reason I mentioned safety, a personal notation in my mind of what could be a charging station that you might have to use if stuck between a rock and a hard place. Just after that post I saw some guy posted a you tube (I wasnt looking for it) he was driving past charging stations in San Fransisco, they were like, in the middle of a tent city.
As far as batteries being safe vs gasoline I would care less, Im sort of an anti media person, gosh we are a nation of 350 million people, there will always be an event blown out of proportion and in my mind EV battery fires are one of them. It's whatever story of the day creates more clicks. So I was in no way implying that battery powered cars are more dangerous than gasoline.

BTW - I misquoted my previous electric rates before we jsut sold out home that we lived in for 16 years. My average was 10 cent kWh.
Off peak is 5.5 cents a kilowatt hour and a 4 hour period each day is $12 a kWh. The $12 kWh rate is only factored in for the highest one day a month peak usage. South Carolina also has some of the lowest gasoline prices in the country, but in many areas of the country people seem to forget that their gas prices are what they are because they voted for the people who raised taxes on the gas! (no politics, just a fact *LOL*)

Anyway thanks for the reply. Im not an anti EV guy, there is a purpose for both type of vehicles in my mind well into the future. I do think one day something better needs to come along to make EVs more convenient for a certain part of the population as far as recharging. I still think we are only at the beginning, I mean, when does modern technology ever stand still? Im still a proponent of h2 EVs but know nothing about the subject.

I can understand you being defensive, I know the posts you talk about.
I do get involved in debates about the price of Tesla stock but not whether it's worth it for someone to own an EV.
Just look at my comment on the first page of the thread about BMW 14,000 vehicle recall. It's a non event, I pointed out the words "could" and "software" update but some can make it look like a bigger deal than it is and those some people are the media and others.
I love the words from the media "could" "could' means it didnt happen but it can happen and a software update will make sure it doesnt.

The cool part is there are going to be dozens of new models hitting showroom floors in the coming 12 months+ and people will be able to decide right there in the showroom what will work best for their needs, gas or EV.

Last edited:
This is the main point most people ignored. Even if you just buy it for fun it is a good deal, you get to keep some stuff and probably look at how to run it and maybe pick up a few talents.
I agree, it could be a good deal, but one could have said that when it was $400 a share, they would have lost almost 70% their money by now.
and what about the people who bought it at half the price $200 a share they lost 25% of their money and had a hair raising dip to almost losing 50% of their money.
One needs to pay attention to valuations. The stock is all over the board. I am not saying it's a bad deal but buyer beware. I was tempted to buy at 105 just the other week but was afraid then. *LOL*

One must remember, it is just a car and selling at a sky high multiple compared to all others. One must ask, if long term, do they think dozens of new models of EVs from all other makers in the next two years are going to impact Tesla?
Im not saying either way but there is always a danger with high fling stocks, danger = high profit potential but also high loss potential Like the people who have been wiped out that bought it at $400 a share, than 350, then 300, then 200.

At what point is it a good deal is the question????? Maybe 75? 50? 150? 175? 200? It used to be 400
It will be interesting, in less than two years the market is going to be flooded with EVs. Tesla will just be another player like all the others but the others will still have gasoline models to sell if EV adoption predictions fall short. Some have been cut in half already.
GM is building a new factory that is going to make big V8 engines for some of its trucks.
Time will tell, it certainly is interesting and yes. I too wish I bought Tesla at 105 a couple weeks back but how did I know it wasnt going to go to 75? To be valued like the other car companies it would need to be closer to $40.

Even in the last year, when was the good price to buy in? Will it be now? Maybe, maybe not and that is the risk/reward of high flying stocks. Danger = great potential for high returns and also high loses.
Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 9.33.41 AM.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, it could be a good deal, but one could have said that when it was $400 a share, they would have lost almost 70% their money by now.
and what about the people who bought it at half the price $200 a share they lost 25% of their money and had a hair raising dip to almost losing 50% of their money.
One needs to pay attention to valuations. The stock is all over the board. I am not saying it's a bad deal but buyer beware. I was tempted to buy at 105 just the other week but was afraid then. *LOL*

One must remember, it is just a car and selling at a sky high multiple compared to all others. One must ask, if long term, do they think dozens of new models of EVs from all other makers in the next two years are going to impact Tesla?
Im not saying either way but there is always a danger with high fling stocks, danger = high profit potential but also high loss potential Like the people who have been wiped out that bought it at $400 a share, than 350, then 300, then 200.

At what point is it a good deal is the question????? Maybe 75? 50? 150? 175? 200? It used to be 400
It will be interesting, in less than two years the market is going to be flooded with EVs. Tesla will just be another player like all the others but the others will still have gasoline models to sell if EV adoption predictions fall short. Some have been cut in half already.
GM is building a new factory that is going to make big V8 engines for some of its trucks.
Time will tell, it certainly is interesting and yes. I too wish I bought Tesla at 105 a couple weeks back but how did I know it wasnt going to go to 75? To be valued like the other car companies it would need to be closer to $40.

Even in the last year, when was the good price to buy in? Will it be now? Maybe, maybe not and that is the risk/reward of high flying stocks. Danger = great potential for high returns and also high loses.
View attachment 137084
Are you talking about Volta or Tesla?

Shell is buying up gas stations in Canada to add chargers. The idea is you’ll spend 40 minutes in the over-priced convenience store while waiting on a charge.
Same idea why Tesla would like to put Superchargers at open-air shopping malls and fast food joints. But if I was Shell, I would have reinforced Toyota and Cummins’ H2 push.

Back