Shell 10W-30...Good oil...or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A local Advance Auto store sells it for 92 cents a quart. Black and yellow bottle. Want to run it in a 95 Maxima with 147,000 miles on it. Any good? Local Wal-Mart sells Mobil 10w-30 dino drive clean for 94 cents. Is one better than the other?

Do not know about the Shell oil but I have read many a good posts about the regular mineral Mobil Drive Clean oil.

Steven

used to have a 1990 chevrolet corsica with the 2.2L engine and used nothing but shell motor oil. I sometimes used 5w and the 10w and never had a problem. It is SL rated and the price can't be beat. I too got it from Advance Auto Parts. Remember when Advance had their own brand? It was reformulated and I used that too-never a problem. I have not seen it in awhile though.

Both the Shell (Formula Shell) and the Mobil Drive Clean are good choices. Shell uses Group II base stock with their Shell additive package and the Mobil Drive Clean uses a Group I base stock with a very robust additive package.

Here is a spreadsheet clip comparing Super Tech and Mobil. I'm sure Mobil has better detergency, but its flash point and viscosity looked a bit low, This was ST SJ and Mobil SL 10W30:

10W30 SuperTech Mobil
Visc. 40c 73.2 70.0
Visc 100c 11.0 10.4
Visc. Indx 140 134
Flash-F 410 392
Pour-F -29 -33
Low Pumping-C -25 x

[ August 19, 2002, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: csandste ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back