Shelf life of motor oils???

Ive got some 2007 vintage mobil 1 5w30 quarts in an outdoor shed that have turned kinda red like old transmission fluid. The old caravan hasnt complained

I would feel fine using the oil, as long as it met the API spec of your engine. If you want to be real conservative, use 3 quarts old oil with the rest new oil.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
There are many BITOG members who will tell you to use oil in sealed containers regardless of age. They tend not to believe anything the oil companies say. Everything the oil companies say or do is a conspiracy to sell you more oil. The same members will also tell you that getting the maximum number of miles or the most time out of an oil change is paramount. They would have you spend all your oil change money on UOAs to prove that old oil is still good. Some of these members will also tell you that 50 year oil in the crankcase of a barn find is perfectly good. IMO if you care about your vehicle, give the old oil to one of the members I mentioned above and buy some new oil for your car.

Me! Me! (Except the analysis bit. Waste of money)

But postage is the killer.

Let's see - it's been in the ground for a few hundred million years, in a tank farm for a while, on the store shelves for a while and in your garage for a few years. Sounds good to me. If you don't want it, I'll help dispose of it nicely
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Let's see - it's been in the ground for a few hundred million years, in a tank farm for a while, on the store shelves for a while and in your garage for a few years. Sounds good to me. If you don't want it, I'll help dispose of it nicely
laugh.gif

Didn't he say it was synthetic?

That'd make it about the same age as the bottle, IF synthetic meant anything in American.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
What is your “Pride and Joy”?

It is a 2003 Jaguar XJR
42,331 miles
Never driven in the rain!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You might want to be aware of the oil spec. And older spec oil would not be appropriate for some modern engines.

It is a 2003 that requires API SJ. The oil in question was packaged on 5/24/11 and is API service SN.

Originally Posted By: anotheroldguy
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You might want to be aware of the oil spec. And older spec oil would not be appropriate for some modern engines.

It is a 2003 that requires API SJ. The oil in question was packaged on 5/24/11 and is API service SN.

Then you are good to go. Ignore the “cheap insurance” crowd. They haven’t come up with a compelling reason as to why you should dump it.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: anotheroldguy
"About six years ago, I moved, and apparently, I misplaced 5 one quart bottles of Platinum Full Synthetic SAE 5 W 30 motor oil. I just found them a couple of days ago. Very soon I will be due for my next oil change on my "Pride and Joy". Since this particular car has an eight quart capacity crankcase, I am 3 quarts short. My question to you is if I could safely mix or combine this "old" oil with three quarts of "new" oil. I remember reading somewhere that now Pennzoil synthetizes their oil from natural gas rather than from conventional oil stocks. I have no idea what the synthesis procedure was six years ago. I just want to make sure that this "two different oils" are miscible with one another and that I WILL NOT harm my engine."
The answer was short and sweet, somewhere along the lines of: Pennzoil Motor Oil has a shelf life of four years.We recommend you dump this oil and buy new one.

Can you post the exact response? Thanks.

Here it goes.....

Oil compatibility
[email protected]
Fri 12/1, 8:42 AMYou
Jose,

We have a four year shelf life on all of our engine oils. This is outside of the shelf life and would recommend recycling this engine oil.

Sincerely,
Don
Pennzoil Technical Information
1-800-237-8645 Option 3, 2
www.pennzoil.com

Hi Guys.....

First off, thank you all for the warm welcome to BITOG and for all the replies I have had to my question.

I have been convinced by you all that it is ok to use the "old" oil. Now, I'm still not so sure about the mixing of this "old" oil with some of the "new" oil. This "new" oil that I'm looking to buy is "Pennzoil Platinum with Pure Plus Technology". The "old" oil that I have (from 5/24/2011) is just "Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic", and I really don't know what the heck kind of technology it is
confused.gif

So......anyone? Please?

This is in the FAQ by Pennzoil. From the homepage. It concurs what Don from Pennzoil stated. *Note "If". It's all boiler plate terminology.

25. What is the shelf life (in years) of the new Pennzoil® motor oils with PurePlus™ Technology?
Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oils with PurePlus™ Technology can have a shelf-life of up to four years if stored properly.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Valvoline say it doesn't matter do they? I bet if every single person boycotted Pennzoil and used Valvoline purely for longevity, you'd see Pennzoil very very quickly change their 4 year answer to match Valvoline.

It's like baby formula. First time around I remember the manufacturer saying the un finished bottle could be refrigerated and reused (once) within 24 hours. Now they say discard immediately if unfinished. Load of rubbish again.

They simply want you to through the baby formula as fast as possible so you buy more. And then the anti conspiracy do gooders come out and say: Wow don't you care about your child's health! Discard it! They had a big old meeting upstairs brainstorming how they could increase profits by xx amount by doing nothing. Person who came up with immediately discarding the milk earned himself a fat Xmas bonus.

Old oil is fine, but it may have a plastic taste from the bottle leaching out.

I would have asked Pens, if its ok to tell everyone that their oil go's bad in four years. and what exactly has gone bad in the oil??

Total BS on there part(Imo).

Old oil is fine, but it may have a plastic taste from the bottle leaching out.

I would have asked Pens, if its ok to tell everyone that their oil go's bad in four years. and what exactly has gone bad in the oil??

Total BS on there part(Imo).
"anotheroldguy" hasn't been back on for over four years, hopefully he figured it out by now.

Especially the taste part.

Back