sharpen chain or buy new ones?

Sharpening is part of proper chain saw maintenance. It's easier to keep one sharp than to get a completely dull one sharp again. A few strokes of a file during use does wonders. Do you buy a new lawnmower when the oil needs changing? (That may not be a good example as some people run to failure).

I saw a stone for sale on ebay, that you put the end of the saw in, pull the trigger and give it a couple of seconds to sharpen the chain. Don't know if it really works. But it was cheap.,,
Those don't work to sharpen the chain. They can file down the rakers, but that seems to be all they are good for, I don't recommend using them.

A hand file is cheap and works well, shouldn't take long especially on a 12" bar. I'm not the best at sharpening chains, I used to drop them off at a local family owned hardware store that did an excellent job for cheap. I'd drop off the chains and they would be done by the end of my work day. My dad cuts more wood than I do, and I bought him an electric sharpener that mounts to his workbench. He loves using it so I bring all my chains to him now. 🙃

As others have said, sharpening with by hand with a round file is not hard. I sharpen my chains by hand, even on my 32 inch bar.

I would have a spare chain. Avoid cheapo chains. Husky and Stihl make decent homeowner chains. Hitting the ground/dirt dulls them instantly.

As others have said, sharpening with by hand with a round file is not hard. I sharpen my chains by hand, even on my 32 inch bar.

I would have a spare chain. Avoid cheapo chains. Husky and Stihl make decent homeowner chains. Hitting the ground/dirt dulls them instantly.
I've also had great luck with Oregon chains.

I saw a stone for sale on ebay, that you put the end of the saw in, pull the trigger and give it a couple of seconds to sharpen the chain. Don't know if it really works. But it was cheap.,,
If it's what I'm thinking, those work with a special type of chain that sharpens from the top plate. They generally suck at cutting and the stone doesn't last long. Very gimmicky homeowner "As Seen on TV" type stuff.

ok going to do both. get a set of chains as spares and learn to sharpen them . i picked up this little echo 280e recently and its an amazing little saw for its age.

I have a Husqvarna Rancher 16 inch with a windsor chain. I just sharpen it. Came with the saw in 1978. Heated with wood for 7 years so it saw plenty of wood. It is still on the saw and still going strong. Cuts so fast that it is amazing.
Huskys are great saws! Pricey, but man do they rev and cut!

Sharpening a chain saw is not rocket science. Sure, there is nothing like a new chain, but just follow the original angle.
Push and twist for a few strokes. Just remove the dull with shine and you will be good to go.

Pro chains are the way to go. My 20'' 455 Rancher can chew through some big stuff. Even my cheapo Crapsman 16'' that I use for trimming cuts like a champ with pro chains on it versus homeowner chains.
I hit the chain with a file every other tank of gas and before starting the task. Sharp chain makes for less work.
Always have a spare chain, crap happens when you're on a roll mid job.

Last edited:
Back