sharpen chain or buy new ones?

been doing a lot of trimming of trees and shrubs. my chainsaw is a 12 inch echo . works great. i think the chain is getting a little dull after all this work. was thinking of getting a file and sharpening it, but with the price of chains i can get 3 new ones for around the same price as a good sharpener.

this chainsaw only gets used once every couple of years. what would you do? sharpen or buy new chain.i can get 3 chains for around $20 off of amazon

Last edited:
A file and a guide aren’t that much. A few strokes on each tooth, with a good file, will restore the teeth. With practice, it doesn’t take long. Honestly, you don’t need a power chain sharpener.

That said, I always have spare chains. At least four or five. There are times when a chain is damaged beyond sharpening, or when daylight is fading and I need to keep running the saw.

Get the standard Dremel tool and chain saw sharpener add on. I use it all the time works great. Takes just a few minutes to fully sharpen an 18 inch chain. I can even sharpen from the 110V outlet in my truck. While you are ordering, buy a couple extra sharpening stones sized to match your saw. My saw uses 3/16 inch stones, but it is significantly larger than your Echo. Having a sharp chain is a game changer.

I went through the same question several years ago when I lived on acres of timber. I bought the sharpener and then I ended up buying new chains. I am slowly reducing many questions like this down to time. How much is a new chain vs. how much of my time does it take to sharpen one? It doesn't take long for the new chain to make sense.

One more vote for sharpening. It's a good skill, easy to learn and useful. Makes a big difference - cuts easier, quicker, safer. I used to sharpen the chain on my Stihl every tank of gas.

like sluggo mentioned, Dremel with the nice saw sharpener fixture. I've got chain(s), & I still prefer to Dremel sharpen, because it saves the time of demounting / remounting a fresh chain. That's a hassle.

You probably need a 5/32 chain saw file. Follow the tooth angle and clean up those teeth. 2 or 3 strokes will do it once you get the hang of it. Focus!
There is nothing like a new chain for sharpness, but I take pride in a good sharpening. Putting the saw in a bench vise helps, but I just sit on the ground and go for it.

I have never used a guide or power tool to sharpen a chain saw.
By the way, Echo is a lotta saw for the money. They seem to just run everyday.

I bought a Husqvarna 16 Inch 435e II a couple years ago, and used it to take down two huge Mugo Mugo pines. Those grew about 20' across, and 7-8 feet high.

The chains dulled very quickly, possibly from stone/mud dust incorporated in the branches as they grew (chain oiling was working fine). They dulled even quicker when I decided to cut the huge roots out of my mud/cement 'soil'... :D

I like doing my own maint, so bought several different types of manual sharpeners. I've spent *dozens* of hours working the chains (3 in rotation). Sharpening *well* takes skill and practice. Buying high quality chains (Oregon M66 16-Inch SpeedCut) is quick, inexpensive, and easy.

I recommend just buying a few new chains (Oregon has a reputation as the best...).

both? you should have an extra chain or 3 and sharpening doesnt take long
Is a file 40$? because chains should be around 15-20$ for a 12"

If you only use it once in a while than I'd find a local shop and have it sharpened for a few bucks. I wouldn't be against just buying a new one either, probably close in price these days. If you don't use it much, it's really not worth learning to sharpen yourself.

I would sharpen the chain and also buy a spare. It only takes one quick touch of a rock or some dirt to dull a chain. A dull chain can also cause a saw to over-rev.

I saw a stone for sale on ebay, that you put the end of the saw in, pull the trigger and give it a couple of seconds to sharpen the chain. Don't know if it really works. But it was cheap.,,

I have a Husqvarna Rancher 16 inch with a windsor chain. I just sharpen it. Came with the saw in 1978. Heated with wood for 7 years so it saw plenty of wood. It is still on the saw and still going strong. Cuts so fast that it is amazing.

If you’re DIY’ing here and there getting a project done, get new chains. Any more than that, I’d entertain sharpening.

I have a Husqvarna Rancher 16 inch with a windsor chain. I just sharpen it. Came with the saw in 1978. Heated with wood for 7 years so it saw plenty of wood. It is still on the saw and still going strong. Cuts so fast that it is amazing.
That is incredible.

I would sharpen the chain and also buy a spare. It only takes one quick touch of a rock or some dirt to dull a chain. A dull chain can also cause a saw to over-rev.
Many actual dealers will include a new chain with a resharpening job. My dealer runs a special a few times a year. Also getting a running a chain in the dirt will dull it quickly as well.

If its not used heavily I’d get new chains. And find a local place to sharpen the dull chains. Sounds like no big deal either way for you, not holding you up.

You might be fine with not buying any chains--just send the chain out for sharpening. Won’t be able to use the saw for a week or two, but that might be the lowest cost option.

Back