Share the motor oil in your market stories...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I'm running into my local Wal-Mart to pick up a jug of QSUD I glance at what the other shoppers around me are buying. It fell in line with what I also saw when I worked at O'Reilly during college.

Dust is on all the bottles of NextGen, PP, G-Oil, etc. One guy grabbed a 5qt jug of Castrol 10w30 and another grabbed one of some SuperTech oil.

I would love to tell the people about rebates and the benefits of using a better oil, etc but I am sure they are perfectly happy using what they have been for many years.

This also brings up many other hypothetical situations.

What if everyone changed at the manufacture interval? (eg 7500 miles)
What if everyone used G-Oil, NextGen, or EcoPower? Would if have an impact on the oil market?

I have educated a few at my workplace currently on motor oil and other related automotive topics. I am a network engineer and have found that many people up here just want to pay Jiffy Lube and be done with it, but had no clue oil changes only take 15 minutes and can be done with higher quality oil and filters for less than $10 and we use my MityVac and they gain knowledge of their vehicle.

Any similar in your area?

Quick-lubes rule the market up here.

They must, as there are so many of them.

As for store purchases, whatever is on sale/cheapest is what gets bought. Only thing I've really seen people go out of there way to buy/ask for is Castrol GTX.

About a year ago I seen a man dumping 3 qts of oil he just bought at the dollar tree into a late model Camaro SS.

My coworkers often talk about $40 oil changes at the Quick Lube place but have a hard time getting in because it is so busy. When I mention that I do my own myself, and get a synthetic change very cheap, they ask me "Don't you get your hands dirty"?

Most people do NOT sit around and read about motor oil. They think it is BORING and could care less. Some people do NOT know how to check the level of oil much less care about how to change it. Then there is the minority who do change their own vehicles oil. Some are glad just to get it done, have no leaks or major spills, and get the oil off the garage floor. Then they ask "What do I do with the oil I just drained?" And then that becomes another hassle to take it to the store or disposal center. Then there is the very small percentage of people who will read and learn about oils, their advantages and disadvantages. Some of them become oil nerds and hang out at BITOG. And most of them look forward to the changing of the oil. NO I am not surprised and realize most people do not study oil like those of us oil nerds. Have a nice day.
beer3.gif
I think I will have me a cold one and dream about oil.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CTownIntegra
What if everyone used G-Oil, NextGen, or EcoPower? Would if have an impact on the oil market?

If that were the case, you can be very certain that the other oil companies would be jumping on the recycled oil bandwagon in short shrift.

As for the market, I notice more people buying based on specials up here, too. Personally, I wait until something I prefer is on special, then buy a boatload.

GTX is very popular here, because it's ALWAYS on sale. So, it never is out of stock or bought by rush buying. PYB gets occasional sales, so tends to be sold out quicker on special. VWB gets more regular specials (but with deeper cuts), so is kind of in between GTX and PYB for availability.

10w-40 & 15w-40 are still very commonly used here. I have plenty of customers ask me at work if they're ok to use in their late model Toyotas
cry.gif
I usually try & sell them some 5w-30 & explain to them why it's better.
Took me months to track down some reasonably priced 0w-30 for my own vehicle. The joys of living at the bottom of the world I guess.

You can't walk thirty feet without banging your head on a Castrol sign in NY. Every single car wash/ lube place is completely decked out in Castrol decorations.

The car wash I use has a lube side to it. They have dino, blend, hm, syntec, and edge all lined up nice, plus the bulk. They also have Mobil 1 hidden somewhere and the factory stuff like toyota, honda, and mc incase people ask for it.

The section of Castol oil in almost every parts store by me is larger than others.

Basically, NY is Castrol land.

My Son does tires and lube at Canadian Tire. I just asked what's popular and he said it's mostly bulk, which I would think is Shell. Before Christmas they had a Quaker State promotion on and most people went for that, QSGB for about the same price as bulk.

He did a Cobalt SS today, supercharged, guy got QSAD and a Motomaster cartridge (rebranded Fram) and it cost him $80!

Posting in order to vent frustration right now...

Co-worker and I at my workplace having a conversation. Keep in mind this guy always needs to borrow money for lunch, etc.

Him: Yeah, I have to run my car by the Ford dealer and get my oil changed, guess I can't eat this evening.

Me: Why don't you just do it yourself? Won't take but a minute and we could knock it out pretty quick after work.

Him: It's only $80

Me: We could do it for $30 or less easily with a better oil than what they are using.

Him: I have to do it there or it voids my warranty.

Me: Nah, that's a common misconception, as long as you keep good records you are fine. They have a law protecting consumers for stuff like that.

Him: Yeah but they check all the other fluids and stuff that a normal person can't. By the time you do all that it's not worth it. I have to go by there anyway to let them install a headlight bulb. You have to practically take the whole front end off.

By this point I see there is no point in trying anymore.

Me: Oh, ok. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back