Shannow or other Aussies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've marathoned all the Mad Max movies and seen Fury Road twice, now and I keep wondering.

What oil would Mad Max have been using in his V8 Interceptor, circa 1979?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
over9000W-googolplex

Probably, given the climate, he's an Ozzie, and that 'clutched cutout' blower he had sitting on that Cleveland (??). LOL

If you're asking what Max would have used in the "last of the V-8s"; probably whatever he could get his hands on, since there was a shortage of oil.

In real life, I'd guess 10w-40 (or thicker).

1979, would have been 20W50 almost for sure...the only one that you ever saw on TV was GTX 20W50.

All the service stations had their own home brands in pint and half quart glass bottles, but usually had a rack of Castrol GTX, and XL on the other side of the door.

BP Corse was 25W50, and had a following.

Mid 80s, Shell Super SF was 20W40, and they brought in 15W30 XMO, which flopped (would have been a great oil, being the start of XHVI).

Early/Mid 80s, things started to move into the ultra thick oils. If memory serves, it was STP that fist started with 25W60 and 70, an bizarely, the silliness took off from there.

And was the inspiration for Dundee's big knife clip.
(sorry)

AU fans, take a look on you tube 2015 Sydney Opera House
"lighting of the Sails"

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
over9000W-googolplex

Probably, given the climate, he's an Ozzie, and that 'clutched cutout' blower he had sitting on that Cleveland (??). LOL

IIRC,In the First Movie, the blower wasn't plumbed into the intake, and the belt was routed to the A/C compressor(which is what the switch was hooked up to), by the second movie it was a working Blower, they just shot those scenes with the car on a trailer, and the effect was achieved by simply starting and stopping the engine.

The civilians in the background would have been using Castrol GTX 20W-50, the go-to oil of the day.

Max would have been using Penrite HPR30 a 20W-60 that was the heavy duty performance oil of the day.

Always annoys me how they call it "gasoline" in the Mad Max movies - you're in Australia, it's petrol!

I agree he'd have been using at least 20w50
smile.gif

Yeah it's petrol or at least fuel.

I didn't mind it when they called it "guzz-o-line", but that may have been MM2. To be honest MM2 and MM3 were pretty crrap but I liked Fury Road and nothing beats the original.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
In reality he probably would have to drain oil from wrecked cars and use that

Yep, no shops in the outback to buy his choice of new oil.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Yeah it's petrol or at least fuel.

I didn't mind it when they called it "guzz-o-line", but that may have been MM2.

Yep, MM2 was where they pronounced it "guzz-o-line". Ironically, that's my favourite one, but you can definitely see how the producers had started catering to the American market, a trend that obviously increased through Thunderdome and Fury Road. A real shame I reckon, I wish they would've kept the Aussie flavour...but I guess a potential audience of 300 million or so people is a powerful influence!

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I've marathoned all the Mad Max movies and seen Fury Road twice, now and I keep wondering.

What oil would Mad Max have been using in his V8 Interceptor, circa 1979?

LOL! Ford Motorcraft of course!

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
In reality he probably would have to drain oil from wrecked cars and use that

Yep, no shops in the outback to buy his choice of new oil.

By MM2 he was definitely in scavenging mode.

But for the first half of MM1 he was a cop with a job, and a mate on the inside to set him up with the last of the V8 interceptors. And I still vote for a sump of HPR 30 as FF.

True ... I tend to ignore the first film as it's so much different from the later films. MM3 is my favorite, have not seen 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back