Shampooing Your Hair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lather up the hair, and let it "soak" in shampoo while I wash the rest of my body...the rinse everything together. Showers are between 3-5 minutes depending on if I shave or not.

Gebo: Since your mother was also getting her hair styled, I'm guessing the second wash was to make sure her hair was completely cleaned.

I shampoo my hair 2-3 times a week depending on how much I sweat during my workouts. Of course, i rinse my hair with every shower. I read a few years ago shampooing every day is unnecessary.....unless you have a skin or hair condition like dry skin, etc.

"Lather, rinse, repeat"
thumbsup2.gif

That being said, I believe it's better to use shampoo sparingly.
You don't want to constantly strip away all the natural oils in your hair/scalp.
This will lead to dry scalp, split ends etc.

Remember, more is not always better.
Too much of anything can be detrimental.

As I understand it, the first shampoo gets your hair clean. The second one strips your hair of oils. Hence, the need for conditioner.

I only shampoo once. I've sometimes gotten compliments on my hair from those that touch it.

I shampoo every day, working in home remodeling I usually have enough saw dust or drywall dust in it to last a life time...

First shampoo is good for exfoliating dead skin particles but they can be trapped in the hair during the rinse if the hair isn't very short.

2nd shampoo should be much lighter with minimal skin abrasiveness (just enough to build up a lather) to get the dead skin in suspension to rinse away.

The more often you shampoo, the less often you should need 2 in a row unless you have a particularly flaky scalp. It should be remembered that in some areas of the world, the average person does not bathe daily, or their cleaning is more like showering without getting their hair wet at all.

Last edited:
Heres a worry I dont have being bald lol. When I did have hair, I only shampoo'd once in the shower, if that didnt do it I never bought that brand of shampoo again.

Originally Posted by OldSparks
I forget which comedian pointed it out, but has anyone noticed that homeless people are less likely to be balding?

Maybe the same one who noted that as you lose the hair on your head you gain more in your ears and nose.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Third question is, "Can you scientifically explain why two shampoos are better for my hair/scalp than one?"

There is no scientific explanation to almost anything that goes on at a beauty salon.

That being said, if your mother likes it, then do it. It is in both of your interests to make her happy.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by Gebo
Third question is, "Can you scientifically explain why two shampoos are better for my hair/scalp than one?"

There is no scientific explanation to almost anything that goes on at a beauty salon.

That being said, if your mother likes it, then do it. It is in both of your interests to make her happy.

It's also in the interest of the salon, as they can make more $$ off the job too!
Everybody wins!
cool.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by billt460
Only to the company selling you their product. They want you to use twice as much. If I buy a shampoo that I have to use twice in order for it to work properly, I'm never buying it again. That is simply marketing nonsense, nothing more.
Is it possible that those shampoos that clean so well with only a single application contain more harsh detergents that dry out your scalp more? I'm sure there is a fine balance there somewhere. We all have different skin that may or may not get irritated due to use of certain cleaning products.

Also, the duration between washes matters. If you wash your hair every day, the hair will be less greasy and so a single shampoo application may get the job done. I try to give my scalp a break and don't wash my hair every day.

Can you name anything else you have that requires you to wash it twice every time in order to get it clean? I can't.

Would you wash your car twice? Your dishes? Your clothes? Your floors? Your windows? Your bathtub and toilets? So why should you have to wash your hair twice? You shouldn't. If you do it's because the product is inferior.

Call me crazy, but if I bought a product to clean any of the above, and it didn't work, I wouldn't reuse it again. I would throw it out and buy something that did. Shampoo is no different.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Only to the company selling you their product. They want you to use twice as much. If I buy a shampoo that I have to use twice in order for it to work properly, I'm never buying it again. That is simply marketing nonsense, nothing more.
Is it possible that those shampoos that clean so well with only a single application contain more harsh detergents that dry out your scalp more? I'm sure there is a fine balance there somewhere. We all have different skin that may or may not get irritated due to use of certain cleaning products.

Also, the duration between washes matters. If you wash your hair every day, the hair will be less greasy and so a single shampoo application may get the job done. I try to give my scalp a break and don't wash my hair every day.

Can you name anything else you have that requires you to wash it twice every time in order to get it clean? I can't.

Would you wash your car twice? Your dishes? Your clothes? Your floors? Your windows? Your bathtub and toilets? So why should you have to wash your hair twice? You shouldn't. If you do it's because the product is inferior.

I certainly do wash greasy pans twice sometimes. Same thing with windows and glass tables to get rid of any remaining smears.

Could I find a stronger dish detergent? Maybe, but the skin on my hands may not appreciate it.

Clothes? If they are extra dirty, I will certainly select a longer wash cycle.

Wash car multiple times? I absolutely do when I detail it.

As far as shampoo, there are all sorts of nasty ingredients in some of the shampoos out there... sulfates, parabens, formaldehyde, sodium chloride, Dimethicone, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, triclosan, etc.

Again, I am not telling you what you should use and how often. If you found something that works great for you, then that's awesome. But we are all different and our bodies react to various ingredients differently, some of us have more hair than others, and some of our scalps produce more oil than others, so what works for you may not work for others.

Plain old soap and water every morning. One pass.

If I've been working outside with a hat on, I'll shower a second time and wash my hair again. No foo-foo hair stuff needed, just plain old soap and water.

Originally Posted by OldSparks
I forget which comedian pointed it out, but has anyone noticed that homeless people are less likely to be balding?

If you're getting your information from comedians, then you should consider a new source.

I can. My washing machine does a few passes to make sure the clothes are clean. My dishwasher does multiple passes to make sure the dishes are clean. Even when I drive through the car wash, it makes at least two passes over the pickup to make sure it gets clean.

Is that enough for you, or would you like more examples?

Years ago Consumer Reports did a story on Shampoos and basically said expensive or cheap shampoo don't make difference, important thing is not to use same shampoo everyday (causes build-up). Use different shampoo if you can to avoid it.

I buy cheap shampoo and spray Mr Clean every other day LOL.

Originally Posted by Kestas
As I understand it, the first shampoo gets your hair clean. The second one strips your hair of oils. Hence, the need for conditioner.

I only shampoo once. I've sometimes gotten compliments on my hair from those that touch it.

Yes...when I used to make my own soap, I learned to leave it sit so the the glycerine got sucked back in, otherwise it was too drying.

Which is eactly what modern soap IS...they harvest the glycerine, make a drying soap, and sell it as moisturiser.

My morning brew...there's a science in it.
750ml pump pack, empty, and add
* half a cup of ridicuolous strength coffee (caffeine)
* Fill to about the 2/3 way mark with zinc based dandruf shampoo/conditioner 2 in one.
* Fill most of the rest of the way with Selsun blue (Sellenium based additive pack).
* a couple teaspoons of proper Niacin (Nicotinic Acid, not Nicotinamide)
* a teaspoon of ascorbic acid.
* a couple of good lengths of copper wire...preferably from the last batch.
Some neutralise it with baking soda, I don't bother.

I'm not letting it soak as long as I used to because of my Wim Hof cold shower while I brush teeth, then warm it up and shampoo.

Washes out and is managable without additional conditioning...I've got lots more hair than most of you, so I know this stuff.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
If I'm running the grinders at work (coolant mist) or got all hot and sweaty, I'm using shampoo. Otherwise I'll go a day or 2 without washing my hair. It doesn't seem to get greasy. And I only shampoo it once... but I shower every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back