Shallow or Deep socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be purchasing a 32mm impact socket to remove a hub/axle nut from my Honda Civic. Is shallow or deep better? What are the differences? Does one offer more torque?

Shallow AND Thicker walled socket has more torque.
IDK if you need a deep socket but, use what you need.
Not all impact sockets are created equal which is why I say "THICKER"

Last edited:
Most impact sockets are pretty beefy, even the deep ones. So it should be fine for an axle nut.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: llmercll
I'm going to be purchasing a 32mm impact socket to remove a hub/axle nut from my Honda Civic. Is shallow or deep better? What are the differences? Does one offer more torque?

These should work for you. I have a set and they are good for the price.

https://m.harborfreight.com/13-pc-12-in-drive-metric-impact-deep-socket-set-69279.html

thumbsup2.gif
Well worth the money.

Originally Posted By: llmercll

I would go for deep ones, much more useful. If they are chrome plated, they are not impact sockets.

I can't see why the deep wouldn't work so I'd just get that.

Advance Auto Parts should have these individually FYI. Chrome moly construction too.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
If the axle stub is sticking out of the nut you need a deep. The Taiwan harbor freight ones are great!

This is what I'd do.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Just in case, I'll throw it out - One can always rent it from local auto parts store as a loaner?

Totally, you can rent them individually here.

If you like to wrench and plan to own more cars, it might be worth getting the set. I have rented a macpherson strut compressor enough that I would probably buy one if I caught one on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back