SG,SF Oil required for my new snowblower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new Craftsman SnowBlower in NOV 2011 prior to Thanksgiving
Owners manual was written 5/11/2011.
26" 2 stage blower w/208cc LCT motor
0 to 60 deg F...5W30 motor oil...-40 to 60 deg F...0W30 synthetic.

In the section about maintaining the oil level and oil changes it states that SG,SF oil is recomended. WHAT!...I don't even have any SG,SF hanging around in the garage!

After I cleaned the driveway yesterday and the engine was nice and ))HOT(( I change the oil as the OM calls for the 1st OCI @ 5 hrs. We haven't had much snow this winter and I have now used the blower ~5+ hrs.

I used VWB 5W30 SN/GF-5...Is this OK?

Last edited:
If you blow a lot of heavy snow, you might want to consider something like an HDEO, say Rotella T-6. I use this in mine; the blower is about 25 years old with the original 8 HP Tecumseh engine. It runs fine on this and I feel I am getting some better engine protection when I am blowing deep or plow-compacted snow.

Your selection is fine. I've used 5W-30 conventional and synthetic in my snowblower for 20 years without any sign of engine trouble.

That said, it's surprising how fast an air-cooled aluminum-alloy engine can lose heat in the winter. I would tend toward the 0W-xx synthetics for that reason as almost every start is a cold or very cold start. I'll be switching once my out-of-control stash of 5W-30 is gone.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I realize that all OM call for 4 cycle detergent motor oil for automotive use but, SG?

Sorry! I should have said: 4 Stroke(not 4 cycle) detergent oil.
And also, when I reread the manual a couple of times, it became more clear to what was being said! It states to use 4 Stroke automotive engine oil that..."Meet or Exceedes" US Automotive Industry Standards for SG,SF oil.

I guess that we can say that any newer oil including the current SN/GF-5, "Meets or Exceedes" US Automotive Industry Standards for SG,SF motor oil, Hmmm?

I guess I answered my own question!

Sears is just trying to help Kmart get rid of there SG,SF oil before the API makes them remove it from the store shelves.

Probably not going to happen.

I was at Wal*Mart last night, and had a banana I just picked up in the store as a snack before I got home. Tossing the peel in the trash can at the cart corral I saw a bottle of Accel oil. You know, the oils you see for cars built sometime in the Eisenhower administration
smile.gif
(Actually, I do know it was Reagan)

They probably picked it up at Wal*Mart and it may or may not have actually been suitable for the vehicle.

But I doubt the API will do anything as long as it's properly labeled.

Consumers simply don't read labels, they go on price, pictures, what their dad/uncle/buddy told them.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Sears is just trying to help Kmart get rid of there SG,SF oil before the API makes them remove it from the store shelves.

I'd like to keep this post OPEN if at all possible as I do have another question...

Being that this snowblower is using a 208cc LCT motor(from CHINA???), the owners manual also mentions nothing about using fuel stabilizer for long period storage. The OM specificly mentions to drain/run out all of the fuel including the carb for long term storage as from season to season.

I have been for a very long time, used STA*BIL in all of my small equipment during storage and have had great success doing so.

ATMOF, I have had better success using STA-BIL in the small engines, than running them dry in reguards to restarting them when I do bring out the equipment in the next season.

Useing Sta-Bil in the fuel has allowed me quicker starts the next season and the engines seem to also run better during those seasons. I also properly dose(1oz/2.5 gal) all of my gas cans with STA-BIL when I refill them at the gas station and use STA-BIL throughout the season(s).

What is your opinion(s) guys? Can I store these new LCT motors with fresh fuel and STA-BIL instead of leaving the system dry???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back