SG rated oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SG rated oil is very old, since then we've had SH, SJ and now we're on SL. I believe SG was from the late 80s/early 90s! Very old!

What does that mean in terms of detergency and usefulness for a daily-driven car?

Some people believe SJ oils are better than SL oils, so how does SG compare?

What you must realize is that 300V is for racing use only. It is not for street driven cars. I have seen reports of people having major problems with this oil.

Motul does offer a wide range of excellent street oils. Their X-cess oil is API SL, ACEA A3/B3/B4 rated and has a number of latest manufacturer approvals, including the rare GM-LL-B-025.

You might want to try Motul's 0w40 instead. A guy I know in my car club owns a speed shop in Woodbridge and he sells that stuff (although it's pricey, at $13.50 per liter!)

Thanks for all the responses. I was leaning towards the 0W-40, but 300V is 100% Ester based...

Patman, I can get the 0W-40 for $12 after tax if you're interested.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Isn't redline ester based?

Yes, but I consider European oils to be of higher quality than North American oils, and Redline is much more expensive here in Canada (C$17/L)

300V or whatever is also used in motorcycles and most motorcycles run SG oil. This is to accomodate the wet clutch. I don't think the oil is formulated to just meet the 'SG' specs.
wink.gif

[/qb][/QUOTE]

Also the reason its SG rated is purely because of the high zinc/phosphorous levels. Same reasons as Redline really... 300V was built for engines that are stressed hard as a first priority, not manufacturers approval. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I was under the same impression but their zinc/phosphorous levels were quite normal (around 1.1) at least officialy..
You can always ask them...

I had the same question when i was using 10W40 and wanted a fully synthetic one -Motul's 300V 10W40(**** , there is no other 100% synthetic 10W40 in europe.Amsoil, red line do you copy???,we are waiting for you!!) so i asked motul about it.
The answer i got was something like .. they are using an obsolate approval in the label just to have something there because racing designed oils don't get bought for their approvals
wink.gif

" Dear Mr. Kariotis,
nice to hear from you again; thank you for your inquiry and for your interest in our products. Attached you will find detailed information regarding your request.
The 300V series was designed only for racing application and therefore no need for actual approvals. You can use it without any risk in your car . But if you are driving under heavy stressed conditions you have to drain the oil earlier. Because the manufaturer says: 15.000 km or once per year for this car when it runs under normal operating conditions.
If you are only looking for an approved product you can take:
MOTUL 6100 SYNERGIE 10W40, but this is not a fully synthetic one.
I hope these information helps you further.
Best regards,
MOTUL Deutschland GmbH
Alexander Hornoff
Technical Dept. "

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
What you must realize is that 300V is for racing use only. It is not for street driven cars. I have seen reports of people having major problems with this oil.

Can you give me some evidence of this? Im skeptical of it. 300V is Motuls best...

Also the reason its SG rated is purely because of the high zinc/phosphorous levels. Same reasons as Redline really... 300V was built for engines that are stressed hard as a first priority, not manufacturers approval.

quote:

Originally posted by Leo:

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:

Can you give me some evidence of this? Im skeptical of it. 300V is Motuls best...

Also the reason its SG rated is purely because of the high zinc/phosphorous levels. Same reasons as Redline really... 300V was built for engines that are stressed hard as a first priority, not manufacturers approval.

I am sceptical about RedLine in street driven vehicles just as much. I know what you are saying about ZDDP levels, though.

I can direct you to www.auto.ru/wwwboards/oil. You will probably be able to use the search function (top of page, type in field with long button on the right) to search for Motul or 300V. If you don't read Russian, use an on-line translator after you get results
rolleyes.gif

[ September 22, 2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: vvk ]

Just read that PDF. Dang! Viscocity Index of 196! Thats gotta be one of the highest figures I've seen for a motor oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back