"SF Quality" oil at Wal-Mart for $0.74 per qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my local Wal-Mart, a no-name brand with the "SF" label is taking up space on the shelf. This is happening while the stock of M1 and Chevron seem to be getting less and less in recent weeks. Hopefully, this is a Christmas thing.

Who buys SF rated oil anymore? Why would anyone want SF quality oil for anything?

I'm frightened that some guy who usually picks up the ST house brand will find this a better "value" and use it in his new SUV. Then forget to change it for 4000-5000 miles.

I have seen this at Walmart, they actually had 2 different brands of the SF rating. One of the bottles said it was made for the older cars that only required an SF rating.
Must be for the owners of 60's / 70's cars who think the oil spec'd for those cars is best.

Agree that little good can come out of this. Maybe the purchaser will confuse older as in a 69 Chevy with older as in needing high mileage oils.

My son-in-law bought a bottle of similar stuff at a c-store. Actually paid over a buck for it when SL brand oils were available for a quarter more.

Frightening.

Around here, Chevron Supreme is constantly at $0.69/qt after rebate at Kragen. Not much reason to spend more than that on worse oil.
rolleyes.gif

SF oil is still on the shelves here in almost every supermarket. Its about as cheap as 2 bottles of coke.

I cringe every time I see someone go thru the cash register with it....

Didn't notice the chevron, but my local wallyworld is actually making more room for M1. That SF oil never moves. Only once did I see some shelf space in front.

Actually, my friend bought some crappier oil....

I occasionally do his oilchanges as a favor... so he came over one time and I drained his oil after checking the dip stick (there was nothing on it). So I asked him when was the last time he changed his oil. "Last time I was here..." which was about a year and more than 10k miles ago on cheap dino oil. So I asked him when he checked it last and he never did. Then he pulled out this bottle of 10w-40. Only information it said on the front was "NON DETERGENT" and with small print on the back "Not for use in automobiles"

He told me he bought it at a gas station.
crushedcar.gif

Funny story. 10w-40 ND oil, lol. No wonder the engine was dry, the oil all had turned to sludge!

There is a large fraction of the buying public which just buys the cheapest stuff on the shelf. What is really crazy is that they will go to a relatively expensive for motor oil retailer like the grocery store or a gas station and then buy the cheapest stuff they can find. Thus we have people spending $2/quart for no name non detergent and/or "SF" oils when for half that money they could be a much higher quality product by shopping smarter.

Laziness and it's twin cousin perceived convenience result in lots of really poor choices being made ... and not just about motor oil
smile.gif

Joh

Being a cost savy customer customer is one thing.

ie...Bravo to Chevron/Havoline for a great oil at a great price.

However I despise outright cheapness.

Those that buy Guardsmen B rated tires...or those buying this SF oil in an application requiring SG or above.

I think my next topic will be:

"Why is there API, when ACEA spec's are far superior?"

As topper oil its probably fine or on an older model car that does have much life. Walmart SuperTech is a much better buy and has a larger display so customers will likely go for it. The oil section at Walmart and most stores is pretty large and confusing in my opinion for average consumer. Fortunately there are some recognizable brands for most consumers like Mobil or Havoline Texaco or Chevron. My fiancee has a small stash of Havoline in her trunk as emergency now filler oil. I asked her reasoning, she recognized the Texaco symbol. At least its great oil and proper grade.

Most oil is backword compatable, unless your trying to avoid SL specs? I think quaker state high mileage was SF or SJ.

-T

quote:

Who buys SF rated oil anymore? Why would anyone want SF quality oil for anything?

Those that only think about the cost of a product. I know one fella who just got a new $44,000 Silverado HD E. Cab with the DuraMax diesel and Allison trans. I was over BS'ing with him last week. He purchased the cheapest oil and filter he could find. I don't recall the exact brands but they came for Fleet-Farm or something like that. He like to tell everyone he bought the best truck he could get but when it comes to oil etc, elcheapo is all that will do.

Some can be "penny wise and pound foolish"

Does anyone know if newer GM's require SL graded oil? We have a 99 Olds Silhouette and a 2002 Grand Am GT and in the owner's manual for both of them it only specifies to use 5W30 (or 10W30 above -18C is acceptable). It specifically says not to use a thicker oil such as a 10W40, but gives the ok for syn 5W30 or a 0W30 for real cold climates.

As for the API rating, all it says is that the bottle must have the "API star" on it, but does not indicate anywhere if it is ok to use SH or SJ rated oil or if SL is required (not that I'd go and look for something other than SL, but will it cause any damage / void the warantee).

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
I think my next topic will be:

"Why is there API, when ACEA spec's are far superior?"

I'm looking forward to it.

Here's a few starters.

1. The US auto industry can't control what ACEA does.

2. The US gumnt has virtually no influece over what ACEA does.

3. The API was here first and does a good enough job.

offtopic.gif
Hey,lets not put down Gaurdsman 'B' rated tires.There are many people that dont drive like they are in the Daytona 500 on the highway and a 'B' rated tire is all that is needed.I have used and am using 'B' rated tires and they have done extremely well and lasted quite a long time.No problems at all.The 'B' rating only applies to the tires heat capability.Unless you drive 100 mph and or on hot coals for extended times this should be of no real concern.Tires are made by only a few companies like Goodyear(Kelly-Springfield),Cooper(Mastercraft),Bridgestone(Firestone,Dayton) etc. and this is only a very partial list.I think sometimes people get wrapped up in things like ratings when a lesser rating is completely acceptable and is all that is required.Many times people pay for something only because they want to out do others and say they bought the best.Its like gas,people will pay for Super when all they require is Regular,waste of money.

quote:

Originally posted by john_ertw:

As for the API rating, all it says is that the bottle must have the "API star" on it, but does not indicate anywhere if it is ok to use SH or SJ rated oil or if SL is required (not that I'd go and look for something other than SL, but will it cause any damage / void the warantee).

You won't find SH oil for your car that legitimately has the API star on it. SH is obsolete unless it is preceded by a C rating, a combination I don't believe you will find on a viscosity GM recommends for your car.

quote:

Originally posted by motorguy222:
offtopic.gif
Hey,lets not put down Gaurdsman 'B' rated tires.There are many people that dont drive like they are in the Daytona 500 on the highway and a 'B' rated tire is all that is needed.

I've had my fill of cheap B tires, they usually handle like crap compared to a good mid range or better tire. And you don't need to be pushing it to feel the difference. Different strokes for different folks.

More proof that uncle wally will do anything to lower prices, regardless of how this affects the consumer or community.
frown.gif

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back