"SF Quality" oil at Wal-Mart for $0.74 per qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
There is a large fraction of the buying public which just buys the cheapest stuff on the shelf. What is really crazy is that they will go to a relatively expensive for motor oil retailer like the grocery store or a gas station and then buy the cheapest stuff they can find. Thus we have people spending $2/quart for no name non detergent and/or "SF" oils when for half that money they could be a much higher quality product by shopping smarter.

Laziness and it's twin cousin perceived convenience result in lots of really poor choices being made ... and not just about motor oil
smile.gif

Joh

Joh, you are right. This is why I hate to buy a used vehicle. I take extra care of my vehicles and I don't want to own someone elses problem.

My father in law uses that cheapo $.74 brand in his 1982 Ford work truck with 289,000 miles on it. It consumes or leaks oil at the rate of around 1QT/600 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull:

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
There is a large fraction of the buying public which just buys the cheapest stuff on the shelf. What is really crazy is that they will go to a relatively expensive for motor oil retailer like the grocery store or a gas station and then buy the cheapest stuff they can find. Thus we have people spending $2/quart for no name non detergent and/or "SF" oils when for half that money they could be a much higher quality product by shopping smarter.

Laziness and it's twin cousin perceived convenience result in lots of really poor choices being made ... and not just about motor oil
smile.gif

Joh

Joh, you are right. This is why I hate to buy a used vehicle. I take extra care of my vehicles and I don't want to own someone elses problem.

I'll third that! If you cant afford the new vehicle you want, get one with less options or pick one you can afford. Its 95% about being basic transportation for me.

quote:

My father in law uses that cheapo $.74 brand in his 1982 Ford work truck with 289,000 miles on it. It consumes or leaks oil at the rate of around 1QT/600 miles.

That's an oil change every 3000 miles. He only needs to top it off, never change it! It'll be worthless though, soon into 300K.

My brother had a car that burned a lot of oil. He'd pull into a gas station and say, "Fill it up, and check the gas too"!

quote:

'B' rated tires and they have done extremely well and lasted quite a long time

Ewww, nothing is worse than bad tires. Have you even tried something modern and high-quality like Falken, Dunlop or Michelin? Consumer Reports article on tires was quite accurate imo. (had so many different tires myself it is stupid) The bottom of the list was all the crap the tire shops push on sr citizens and housewives..Cooper, Kelly, Uniroyal..junk. If you are comparing a generic tire to those ones, you are missing a whole new world of computer-modeled tires that did not even exist a few years ago.

ps long wear=less grip, the rubber compound in those "cheap" hard-wearing tires gets even harder in the cold..+25 degree wet pavment, yeah I want the rock-hard 80,000 miles tires.
rolleyes.gif
They get even harder with age, as all tires do, and never wear out until dry-rot takes over. Our Conti Extreme Contacts and Falken Ziex 512s are incredible and the cost is peanuts, within 10% price of the "ElDorado" whitewalls. lol, sorry. Turanza, XGT, SP A2s, I was using them before CR's article and they are the top picks, no surprise here.

Henry Ford said "Americans don't care about tires as long as they are black and round".

[ April 26, 2004, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

offtopic.gif
I have used different tires over the years.Cooper,Firestone,Dayton,Goodyear and the cheaper tires are just as good in many instances.Wal-Mart has 'A'rated Douglas brand tires,some of which are made by Kelly-Springfield(Goodyear).Many tites are like oil.Chevron costs less than many but you get a good product.There are many tires and many are good,just like Chevron.The 'B' rating only applies to stopping distance on dry pavement,that doesnt really tell you a lot about a tires handling in every day life.Tires are like many other things,you have good and bad in all brands.Uniroyal is Michelin owned and used by many people with good results.As I said before.Unless you drive like you are in the Daytona 500 a 'B' rated tire is fine for the majority of people.
itschy.gif
Cooper Tire was rated equal with Michelin recently in the truck tire category.Cooper must be doing something right.

quote:

Many tites are like oil. Chevron costs less than many but you get a good product.There are many tires and many are good,just like Chevron

No, I disagree. Building a quality tire requires much more than a extra touch of calcium or moly measured in ppm. Materials technology and manufacturing process are beyond skin-deep and cannot be replicated or simplified without compramise of the original design. My Conti's feature "Shark-Fin Biomechanics" for water dispersal and dual-layer tread that exposes softer rubber as it wears for more grip. What do the Douglas tires offer?

Consumer Reports picked the Falken for #1 and they are dirt cheap. For a few dollars less you would choose the generics? Something that has life or death differences? Turanza shortened stopping distance 15ft with the new version of their great tire. Like I said, all those crap brands were on the bottom of the test results, check for yourself.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireProductsByBrand.do?step=products

quote:

The 'B' rating only applies to stopping distance on dry pavement,that doesnt really tell you a lot about a tires handling in every day life

Are you serious?
dunno.gif

The local Walmart does not have Chevron Supreme or Quaker State Mercon-V
frown.gif

The one in NJ has everything though.

I ended up buying 1 qt of Mobil Drive Clean 5W-30 to top off my engine that had been filled with M1 5W-30.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Who buys SF rated oil anymore? Why would anyone want SF quality oil for anything?

I use a CH-4/SF/SG rated Esso XT2 HDEO 20w50 for my 1987 MB260E. It has no CATs so Im not worried. The label says this oil is specially suited for trucking, construction and agricultural equipment.

offtopic.gif
I am serious.Tires have 3 ratings on the sidewall.(1).The tread life in numbers,400 for example.(2).The tire has a traction rating,AA-A-B-C.(3).Temperature,A-B-C.I did however make a mistake in the previous post,the 'B' rating is for stopping on wet pavement.I have Cooper tires on one of my cars and they so far have been the best I have used.As I stated before,I have used others(Goodyear,Firestone).The name doesnt always mean the best.There are good and bad in all of them.Go to www.tirerack.com and look at the survey results.Or go to www.epinions.com and look for tire results.Michelin,Falken etc. can be 'paying for the name only'.

offtopic.gif
Douglas tires that I am aware of are 'A' rated.Once again,just because a tire doesn't say Falken etc. doesn't make it a bad tire.As I said before,tires are made by only a few companies regardless of the name on the sidewall.It all comes down to every day driving and according to the NHTS there is a good percentage of drivers with 'B' rated tires.As long as I can get a good quality tire,it doesn't matter if it won a race.I am not racing and don't drive as if I do.As far as Dunlop goes,they are actually I believe a Goodyear company now.They are in the same company as the terrible Kelly-Springfield.Do the tire makers push their lesser known tires? No,they want every one to buy the more expensive(not necessarily better)named tire when the lesser known tire may be as good.Most of the tire marketing is just that,marketing.

[ April 28, 2004, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: motorguy222 ]

Tire price certainly is not directly correlated with tire performance or quality. The Chevron/Pennzoil motor oil situatin is a good parallel. Pennzoil has a "better name" than Chevron and usually commands a significant percentage price premium as a result. Pennzoil spends big bucks on advertising while Chevron Lubricants spends almost nothing on consumer level advertising.

In any given tire category, Michelin tires are generally the most expensive to buy. However, there are other brands which depending upon category and application can provide as good or better of a tire than the similar category Michelin tire and do so at much lower cost to the consumer. For example, Falken, Continental, Dunlop and Pirelli often offer a much better value in a tire than does Michelin. Kumho out of Korea is developing a reputation for building very high performance tires at rock bottom prices. Expect to see Kumho supply Wal Mart house brands soon
smile.gif

Goodyear long has tried to get the same kind of premium pricing as Michelin enjoys, but Goodyear is finding that hard sledding these days.

Careful research and shopping rewards the astute buyer with a better value.

I buy Chevron Lubricant products much more often than Pennzoil and Continental Tires more often than Michelin because I like to get the most value for my money possible and get a high quality product at the same time.

Oddly enough, Chevron is very proud of their gasoline here in California and is often the highest priced brand in our area ... and I almost never buy from them. Why would I pay $.05 more per gallon for Chevron branded gasoline than I would for Shell or $.15 more than for Costco house brand? There are only a handful of refineries sourcing the fuel in Northern California. Fun Facts - list of California Oil Refineries

John

[ April 28, 2004, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: jthorner ]

There is no more dramatic demonstration of the disconnect in price and quality than the oil filters at Wal-Mart. Motor Craft are about the same, and ST is about half the the price of Fram.

I am weakening on continuing to pay the premium for Pennzoil. Maybe once the Chevron/Havoline thing settles down, I will switch. In the meantime, my son in law may score some of the $.89/qt. stuff at Pep Boys'.

In the 80's, you could buy great BF Goodrich tires under many private labels. I put 2 sets of Strattons on my Phoenix. They rode better, stuck better, and out wore the Firestones that came on it. Unfortunately BFG walked away from that business under new ownership, and now many of the private labels are the crappy Cooper tires. They wear like iron, but ride and hold the road the same way. When I have to replace the Goodyears on my Cavalier, I may spring for Pirellis.

What really gripes me is that I pay more for the P205-55-16'' tires than the P205-75-13'' ones, when the difference is that the hole in the 16'' ones is bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back