Seven months to my vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else do motorcycle rallies? I signed up for my first this year.

What have I gotten myself into?!?!

I've never done one
21.gif
... You'll have to let us know how it went. I usually ride solo, which is fine while riding, but it would be nice to have company during rest stops and meals.

7 months away...must be Sturgis in August? Used to go to them in my younger days, but not anymore. 24/7 Loud pipes, drunks, half naked women, puke, lines to the portajohns, puke, 100 degree heat, price gouging, puke. I used to Love bike rallies!

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

I have done a few long distance, and many local poker runs. Been riding for ....let me do the math....well ph*ck me close to 40 years !! Mostly I have Japanese sport bikes, probably 500k miles on bikes.
Not sure if your looking for advice- just make sure all the routine maintenance has been done at least 1 week before you leave, and ride it around town to give it a shakedown.
Things that have happened to me suddenly; chain out of adjustment, broken teeth on a rear aluminum sprocket, bad spark plug, bad plug cap, fried alternator- left me stranded and needed a tow. Flat rear tire.
Bring at least $50 in cash in case of problems with card, ATM, store etc. Plan gas stops in advance if you can. If your in a group, have at least 1 person bring a quart of good oil and a small funnel that actually works on your bike.

I've been to some Rallies. Sturgis would be the most well-known. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. Anymore Sturgis is ridiculously crowded, lots of bike trailers parked in nearby towns. The Black Hills are nice, and best experienced at any other time of the year. Unless traffic jams of open-piped Harley's are your thing, then it's the place to be.

Just about any other M/C Rally you attend will be less crowded.

Rallies not my thing. I went to one called little sturgis once, got told to move my non-HD motorcycle because the parking in that particular spot was only for HD's. Guess first impressions really are lasting impressions like the saying goes because that little brush with brand specific ridiculousness turned me off to ever attending another.

Originally Posted by gman2304
7 months away...must be Sturgis in August? Used to go to them in my younger days, but not anymore. 24/7 Loud pipes, drunks, half naked women, puke, lines to the portajohns, puke, 100 degree heat, price gouging, puke. I used to Love bike rallies!

And that mustard on a wiener competition thing.
banana2.gif

Last edited:

I'd like to go to Sturgis just once just to see what it's like. The half naked women and the beer would be nice, but all of the Harleys would get real annoying real quick!

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Wait, you gave it up after your crash didn't you ?

Wrecked my bike

I made the wrong decision and got another bike...I wasn't able to get to the DMV and get the endorsement taken off my license.

Not Sturgis.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken

I have done a few long distance, and many local poker runs. Been riding for ....let me do the math....well ph*ck me close to 40 years !! Mostly I have Japanese sport bikes, probably 500k miles on bikes.
Not sure if your looking for advice- just make sure all the routine maintenance has been done at least 1 week before you leave, and ride it around town to give it a shakedown.
Things that have happened to me suddenly; chain out of adjustment, broken teeth on a rear aluminum sprocket, bad spark plug, bad plug cap, fried alternator- left me stranded and needed a tow. Flat rear tire.
Bring at least $50 in cash in case of problems with card, ATM, store etc. Plan gas stops in advance if you can. If your in a group, have at least 1 person bring a quart of good oil and a small funnel that actually works on your bike.

No chain on my bike, I'll be doing plenty of riding as a skakedown to get it ready-only has ~2200 miles.

Not that kind of rally...the kind where people RIDE! I'm doing the How the West Was Won III rally in Colorado.

And, as I should have known, it was my usual utter failure. Didn't even make Grand Junction.

I really need to stop riding.

And, as I should have known, it was my usual utter failure. Didn't even make Grand Junction.

I really need to stop riding.
. What happened Jarly?
frown.gif

Combination of weather (lost my entire time cushion to thunderstorms in Missouri and Colorado) and feeling terrible, with no energy and a pounding headache. No idea why...altitude, maybe.

More to the point, I find that I am terrified of curves and have no idea why. Curves I'd have taken at 50 and scraped my pegs in last year, I'm taking at 30 trying not to wet my pants. Might be time to give up riding and start drinking.

Yeah, that's messed up. Going from touching pegs to wetting in your pants at 20 mph lower. For what it's worth, I have days where it just doesn't feel as good and therefore I ride accordingly. Other days it feels right and it just goes better. Riding a motorcycle isn't any different than going for a run after work or a ride in the mountains in your car. You just have to know what you're capable of at the time you're doing it and stay within that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back