Serviced the atf in my moms 2013 Chevy Cruze

2014 Chevy Cruze LS. Total base model car, 1.8 non turbo and 54k miles

Car has been religiously serviced with synthetic 5w30 it’s whole life at 5k intervals but never had anything else done. I figured it was a good time to to the atf and coolant. I jacked all 4 corners up, level as I could and bought one of those measuring buckets from Home Depot and let it drain for about 2 hours. Couldn’t believe it was so black ! I know color doesn’t mean much but it felt good to change about 50% of the factory fill.

The car was completely cold, I know there is a check plug but I didn’t mess with it. I put back in what came out ( 5qts). I used valvoline dex 6. The car shifted smoothly before, now you can hardly feel it shift at all.

I let the coolant drain as well too. I was surprised it only took just over a gallon to fill back up. I used Prestone dex cool and distilled water. 50:50

Here are a couple of pics of the atf and bucket
5DC82E43-6295-4A55-A1F1-F433F3EAC78F.jpeg
C50FE7AB-8C85-4562-B02A-F2F8A5AD05D4.jpeg

Re the gallon of coolant:
I too was surprised and pleased when opening the drain valve in my neighbor's Honda (2010 Accord 2.4l) yielded exactly one gallon.

I get just over 4 qts out of my 2014 trans. Not sure if mine had ever been serviced before so around 105k I drained and fill with Valvoline Max life ATF 3 times. Running the engine and shifting through the gears for a few minutes between 1 and 2, The third time I drove it for a couple of weeks

Same here on my 2015 Trax, just a shade over 4 qts. I didn't change mine until 75,000 miles, black as coal. It took me 4 more changes over the next 10,000 miles to get it to come out Dex VI red again. It's always been a great shifting transmission though.

I think most auto transmission manufacturers require that you fill the transmission with the transmission "warm." Otherwise the actual fluid level will not be correct. Do you know what company make the car's transmission?

I think most auto transmission manufacturers require that you fill the transmission with the transmission "warm." Otherwise the actual fluid level will not be correct. Do you know what company make the car's transmission?
The actual procedure is to get it up to temp , about 200 degrees and pull a check plug on the left side of the case. I didn’t have enough time to warm it up and do all that, but I have no reason to think the fluid level isn’t close to where it should be. It is bone dry underneath, so I have no reason to think it was low to start with. I got about 4.9 qts out and put 5 qts back in. I’m not sure if it matters if the trans is warm when you fill it, it just needs to be warm when you check it due to fluid expanding

13 equinox mine was black at 50k changed 5 or 6 times in 500 miles. Didn't matter hot or cold most drain was almost 5 quarts least 4. Changed it till it turned red then change it every 10k. Used either ac delco or castrol dex 6. Never smelled burnt.

Is that one of those vehicles where you can get an aftermarket transmission pan that has a drain plug?

Did you change the transmission filter?
I don’t believe it’s serviceable, at least without extensive work to remove the transmission

The actual procedure is to get it up to temp , about 200 degrees and pull a check plug on the left side of the case. I didn’t have enough time to warm it up and do all that, but I have no reason to think the fluid level isn’t close to where it should be. It is bone dry underneath, so I have no reason to think it was low to start with. I got about 4.9 qts out and put 5 qts back in. I’m not sure if it matters if the trans is warm when you fill it, it just needs to be warm when you check it due to fluid expanding
I'm on several BMW forums. The techs say that the fluid pan of ZF and some GM transmissions needs to warm to the touch using the back of a hand. Then, top it off until the fluid starts to dribble out the fill hole.

Dont confuse adding fluid to checking fluid. If you had previously checked the level by removing the side plug with the vehicle level and the transmission at the correct operating temp (which can vary by vehicle and can be verified with a tech tool) then you only need to add back whatever volume drains out during the service. Mine drains about 4.1 qts when I pull the bottom drain plug. Since there are no leaks and I have already determined the level is correct I only need to pour in 4.1 qts.
And Yes, there is no serviceable filter or "pan" on this trans.

2014 Chevy Cruze LS. Total base model car, 1.8 non turbo and 54k miles

Car has been religiously serviced with synthetic 5w30 it’s whole life at 5k intervals but never had anything else done. I figured it was a good time to to the atf and coolant. I jacked all 4 corners up, level as I could and bought one of those measuring buckets from Home Depot and let it drain for about 2 hours. Couldn’t believe it was so black ! I know color doesn’t mean much but it felt good to change about 50% of the factory fill.

The car was completely cold, I know there is a check plug but I didn’t mess with it. I put back in what came out ( 5qts). I used valvoline dex 6. The car shifted smoothly before, now you can hardly feel it shift at all.

I let the coolant drain as well too. I was surprised it only took just over a gallon to fill back up. I used Prestone dex cool and distilled water. 50:50

Here are a couple of pics of the atf and bucket View attachment 102141View attachment 102140
The GM 6T40/45 series transmission needs drains and fill frequently the filter is not Servicable

Back