Service Station Nozzles

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

This type of nozzle (shown) is very easy to use because it does not have the sleeve over the nozzle. I can insert it into the filler neck and it will stay there without my assistance. I can then put the trigger lock on - let go and relax while I'm filling up the tank.

Question: Why do some service stations have the other kind of nozzles (not shown) that have the rubber sleeve extending the full length of the nozzle to where you have to stand there and hold pressure on the nozzle so it won't fall out? What a PITA!!!
mad.gif

The rubber shield is a splash guard and vapor seal. With some jurisdictions, it may be required that the pumps have a vapor recovery system to further reduce emmissions. I guess some cars' filler necks are more sensitive than others but I've never had an issue with the nozzle popping out.

After I wrote my post I figured I'd get a "why don't you try it" answer. Why not, that's what I would have said!

Cool link.

Since that little port that operates the auto-shut-off valve is on the underside of the nozzle, I would think it would shut-off later than it should; possiblely causing over-fill,over-flow.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

I have noticed a sign on some pumps about an emergency shut off, but can't find it. In the old days there was a lever and some self serve pumps have a lever on the front, but some have no lever and I don't know how you would emergency shut them off. There needs to be a big red panic button on top or something.

Emergency shut off's do not refer to the individual pump that you are standing next to, they are ussually a big red button on the side of the building that shuts off power to all of the pumps in the station, mainly in the event of a fire. They are generally not for small spills.
The days of levers are not 'old' days, and they were on the side before they were on the front, old days would be when they had the glass top pumps to fill up from.

Downunder, there were some instances of people leaving the car unattended with the nozzle locked on, and some big spills if they fell out.

They all were banned, due to the idiots walking off to the toilet, rather than wiping the windows.

As I understand it, the vapor recovery type nozzles are required in CA if the flow rate of the pump does not meet a certain volume per minute.

Those vapor recovery boots are a PITA especially when filling up a motorcycle. You have to pull the boot back while squeezing the lever or it will shuthe conveninent off. And, most times, there is leftover fuel in the boot that spills all over your nice custom paint job when you pull the boot back.
mad.gif

In CA, it is against the law to leave the pump while it is in operation. I am waiting for the saftey police to take off the trigger lock becuase too many people don't stand deligently next to the pump while it is in operation.

I had a pump one time where the nozzle's shut off valve was broken. I stood right there waiting when suddenly gasoline started shooting out the side of the van with great force. My arm ended up coverd with gas as I managed to shut it off.

I have noticed a sign on some pumps about an emergency shut off, but can't find it. In the old days there was a lever and some self serve pumps have a lever on the front, but some have no lever and I don't know how you would emergency shut them off. There needs to be a big red panic button on top or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back