Service cost

I am considering buying my neighbors 2004 Soft Tail Deuce Harley. The bike has 15K but has sat for some time. It runs ok but needs a full service and tires. The asking price is $4700. Bike is in very nice shape but I am curious as to the cost to make it safe and reliable. Been doing a little research and it looks like the cost for what I would want done would be over $1000. Am I in the ballpark?

Nice bike! Personally I don't haggle with friends and neighbors. If I overpay a bit it will come back around.
Whether it's worth it is up to you. In my experience motorcycles are expensive toys!
Definitely get new tires and full service before riding, regardless of cost.

I am considering buying my neighbors 2004 Soft Tail Deuce Harley. The bike has 15K but has sat for some time. It runs ok but needs a full service and tires. The asking price is $4700. Bike is in very nice shape but I am curious as to the cost to make it safe and reliable. Been doing a little research and it looks like the cost for what I would want done would be over $1000. Am I in the ballpark?
Figure more especially if done at the dealership. For many reason ($$$$) and specifically to cover their risk you will be in for brake pads and a clutch job. Tires as mentioned for certain. If it has sat without Stabil etc the fuel system will most like need some attention. Not a bad price initially but going into the deal with more knowledge about what will be a realistic service cost may having you negotiating a lower price. Speak with a service manager at the nearby Harley dealership first before serious haggling begins. Your neighbor shouldn’t be alarmed. Any Harley owner knows what it takes to keep them safe and reliable.

Motorcycle mechanics aren’t cheap, if the bike sat for a while, carb work alone can be $200-300, although this bike has one, but still not too many mechanics left that can do carburetors. Then, gas tank may need cleaning, petcock rebuilt, brakes, clutch, drive belt, tires. I would budget more than $1k, closer to $2k.

The other option is to download service manual and do most, if not all the work yourself. Harleys are very simple machines and what can cost $1k at a mechanic or dealer, can be done with $200-$300 worth of parts and your labor. Except tires, that costs a lot regardless.

That being said: I wouldn’t mind owning a Harley just to crank and listen to the idle. Potato Potato Potato
Im too old to ride now. Broken bones and road rash won’t heal right at my age.

Don't buy/sell vehicles or large purchases to neighbors/friends/family unless you are willing to take a bath to maintain a relationship.

When selling, sell low so that no matter what happens, it was still a good deal for them.
When buying, pay more so that no matter what happens, it was still a good deal for them.

Good relationships are worth more than material things.

Thanks all. I decided to pass on the sale. They needed an answer today and it did not give me enough time. It was something I wanted not something I needed.
It's pretty common to pay some costs when buying any used motorcycle. Tires almost always need replacement, either because of age or wear. That is a cost you can't get around. Almost everything else can be done in your garage if you're handy for just the price of parts.

Motorcycle mechanics aren’t cheap, if the bike sat for a while, carb work alone can be $200-300, although this bike has one, but still not too many mechanics left that can do carburetors. Then, gas tank may need cleaning, petcock rebuilt, brakes, clutch, drive belt, tires. I would budget more than $1k, closer to $2k.

The other option is to download service manual and do most, if not all the work yourself. Harleys are very simple machines and what can cost $1k at a mechanic or dealer, can be done with $200-$300 worth of parts and your labor. Except tires, that costs a lot regardless.
Forget carb work on something that has sat with modern fuel, just get brand new carbs if available.
2 for this Harley I would assume, although I don't really know.

Forget carb work on something that has sat with modern fuel, just get brand new carbs if available.
Say what? Have you ever heard of a carb cleaner or for severe cases a chem dip? Heck I would rather buy an ultrasonic cleaner than brand new OEM carbs even if I only had to use it once.

Agree to disagree. Rebuilt lots of carbs back in the day from Dominators to lawnmower carbs, I'm over it.

Only exception I'd probably make is for a Holley 4150 variant, because parts are so plentiful and there are lots of upgrade options. Billet metering blocks, for example. Plus I know them like the back of my hand.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree. Rebuilt lots of carbs back in the day from Dominators to lawnmower carbs, I'm over it.

Only exception I'd probably make is for a Holley 4150 variant, because parts are so plentiful and there are lots of upgrade options. Billet metering blocks, for example. Plus I know them like the back of my hand.
Well, motorcycle carbs are quite a different animal. For most models out there, it’s extremely hard to find a new one, maybe new-old stock. There is almost zero aftermarket too. Probably because motorcycle market is tiny when compared to cars.

On top of that a lot of models will have four carbs. So as you can see it can add up very quickly.
There are people that rebuild motorcycle carbs and sell them on eBay and such, so that would probably be the only viable option. Everybody else has to rebuild what they have simply because there aren’t many other options available.

The 2004 Deuce TC 88 was also available with EFI. IIRC about half of the 03 and 04 bikes came with EFI. If the one you’re considering has EFI and it’s clean, with a good maintenance history, it would be worth the asking price. I’ve always liked the look of the deuce with the front spoked wheel and “wide glide” look and the rear aluminum disc rear wheel with the “fat boy” look. Make him an offer, no biggie! Now is the time of year to buy a mc, camper, boat etc. (y)

if you have the time, tools, + desire DIY can save $$$$. independents are cheaper than dealers for sure with $100 an hr on average depending on where you live + if they are honest on the time $$$ adds up quick! i would join harley forums to read + learn + you may even find a good local motorcycle shop near you!! anything that sets a decently long time will prolly have a mucked up fuel system so be sure it at least RUNS $$$

Don't buy/sell vehicles or large purchases to neighbors/friends/family , PERIOD
This is the rule to live by.
( unless you are willing to take a bath to maintain a relationship. )
but if you do....

When selling, sell low so that no matter what happens, it was still a good deal for them.
When buying, pay more so that no matter what happens, it was still a good deal for them.
Get it but you're hosing yourself on either end and the other party makes out? What about their side of being a good friend,neighbor, relative? Refer back to first rule.:unsure:

This is the rule to live by.

but if you do....

Get it but you're hosing yourself on either end and the other party makes out? What about their side of being a good friend,neighbor, relative? Refer back to first rule.:unsure:

If they are a good friend/neighbor/relative, they are already giving you a good deal, and willing to take the bath themselves. This is the mentality to enter into the discussion.

But yes, refer back to rule #1.

Kind of like...never "loan" money to friends or family...just give it to them, as you will never expect to see it again.

Thanks for the feedback. For the right price I would have considered but not at asking and I did not want to insult with a low ball offer that workded for me. Another neighbor bought at full price. Better for all concerned.

The OP said the bike ran OK ... so I'd just run a few tanks of fresh gas through it with some Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner and go from there.

Back