Serpentine belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
AKA accessory drive belt.
smile.gif
Seems like 30K pops into my head. Your local automotive parts and scooter store should have it. By the way, some people swear by Goodyear Gator Back.
dunno.gif

I change mine at around 75K, but if I have to replace/rebuild an accessory such as the alternator, I do a belt change since I have to remove the old one anyway. In that case I keep the old one in the trunk as an emergency spare.

When they look really cracked or frayed. They are usually good for ~50Kmi. Dealers LOVE to change them for you for around $100+ when they still have plenty of life left in'em.
rolleyes.gif

G/luck
Joel

I usually change them in the 30-40k range.

I second keeping the old one for a spare. But don't forget the tools you need to change it. Usually one wrench will do, for me it's a 15mm open ended wrench.

Just changed out the one in my Ranger (84k miles) yesterday. The Haynes manual I referenced suggested 60k intervals, barring any visual damage to the belt. As for brand/price, I picked up the Goodyear one at Autozone for $32, though they had a cheaper brand for ~$22.

One thing to remember: If the belt is on a Ford and has a lot of miles on it be aware their belt tensioners have a reputation for getting noisy/going bad after a belt change.

quote:

Originally posted by Mustang_Cougar:
One thing to remember: If the belt is on a Ford and has a lot of miles on it be aware their belt tensioners have a reputation for getting noisy/going bad after a belt change.

Funny you should mention that. I replaced the belt on my '01 Windstar about a month ago (64,000) and I think I can hear the bearings going out on the tensioner. At least I hope it's the tensioner...
dunno.gif

generally expect about 60000 miles out of them. but they should be good til they get cracked. imo Gates are the best belts on the market.

Check your manual for the replacement interval. My car is 60k, some of the newer ones are 100k or more. It varies a lot.

you can have quite a few cracks on the ribbed side and still have a good belt.

It's when it starts squealing from being stretched out, or when the ribs actually fall off in 1 cm long bits, that a belt is really "done". Even then you usually have a little warning, like squealing when the power steering is under heavy demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back