Serpentine belt

AKA accessory drive belt. [Smile] Seems like 30K pops into my head. Your local automotive parts and scooter store should have it. By the way, some people swear by Goodyear Gator Back. [I dont know]

I change mine at around 75K, but if I have to replace/rebuild an accessory such as the alternator, I do a belt change since I have to remove the old one anyway. In that case I keep the old one in the trunk as an emergency spare.

JTK

When they look really cracked or frayed. They are usually good for ~50Kmi. Dealers LOVE to change them for you for around $100+ when they still have plenty of life left in'em. [Roll Eyes] G/luck Joel

I usually change them in the 30-40k range. I second keeping the old one for a spare. But don't forget the tools you need to change it. Usually one wrench will do, for me it's a 15mm open ended wrench.

Just changed out the one in my Ranger (84k miles) yesterday. The Haynes manual I referenced suggested 60k intervals, barring any visual damage to the belt. As for brand/price, I picked up the Goodyear one at Autozone for $32, though they had a cheaper brand for ~$22. One thing to remember: If the belt is on a Ford and has a lot of miles on it be aware their belt tensioners have a reputation for getting noisy/going bad after a belt change.

quote:
Originally posted by Mustang_Cougar: One thing to remember: If the belt is on a Ford and has a lot of miles on it be aware their belt tensioners have a reputation for getting noisy/going bad after a belt change.
Funny you should mention that. I replaced the belt on my '01 Windstar about a month ago (64,000) and I think I can hear the bearings going out on the tensioner. At least I hope it's the tensioner... [I dont know]

you can have quite a few cracks on the ribbed side and still have a good belt. It's when it starts squealing from being stretched out, or when the ribs actually fall off in 1 cm long bits, that a belt is really "done". Even then you usually have a little warning, like squealing when the power steering is under heavy demand.