Serpentine Belt Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know when the best time to change the main serpentine belt is? Mine looks good, no visible cracks or anything, with 108K miles on it. 2014 Elantra. Should I go ahead an do PM on it or let it go longer?

If the belt looks like it's in good shape, and there is no squeaking, you don't have to replace it yet
smile.gif

I would replace it if you ever have to replace the alternator or anything else driven by the belt, because you have to remove it anyway.

Trans Am is 20 years old has the original belt.

I think I changed the last trucks once when I had the water pump off. Had about 40,000 miles on it.

At 108K I would probably change it as preventative maintenance.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
EPDM belt wear diagnosis is from groove wear not from visual cracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRznjS03eoQ

Excellent Point.

I change mine at 50K. I think most would change them at 100K, maybe????? It's easy to do.

Yes, I'd change it. As CharlieBauer said, you can't visually detect wear with this new EPDM rubber.

Originally Posted by BigGee
My f-150 is an 03 with 284,000 on it and the belt still looks good.Having said that ,it will break tomorrow,lol

You should measure groove wear with that tool. I'm sure the grooves are worn out.

I replace them at the 100k service. Newer belts are made with EPDM so they don't crack like older belts. They just break when they go bad.

Good chance they can go longer but not worth it IMO.

I do mine at 120k but that is when Toyota says to. I'd by the manual for your car, unless if your vehicle is known for breaking belts (per any trends noted on various forums).

All belts have a mileage & time factor, rubber deteriorates even when the engine is not running, on average these days it's 100K miles or 4-5 years.

A quality serpentine belt for you vehicle is less than $30.00 and is a relatively easy change out. Why not just replace it? A tow is going to be much more especially if you have to wait 3 hours. For these simple maintenance items, just do it on your next oil/filter change it should only add 10-15 min to the "DIY service", while you're at it check your belt tensioners also.

If all the pulleys are in alignment and the belt shows no signs of excessive/unusual wear... modern EPDM serpentine "accessory drive" belts *can* go 100k miles. They are cheap and easy to replace so I would not push it any further than 90-100k, even in the best conditions. The original belt on my Tacoma went 100k and looked/worked fine but still replaced due to miles & age. Keep the old one in the car as a spare, in case something happens.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Trans Am is 20 years old has the original belt.

I think I changed the last trucks once when I had the water pump off. Had about 40,000 miles on it.

At 108K I would probably change it as preventative maintenance.

my Silverado 5.3 also 20 years and still has orig belt at 82000m

in 1975 i meet a factory rep from Daco. he had a new chevy. with a single belt on the front of his engine. he told us that some day ALL cars will have a single belt. i though REALLY?

I changed my serpentine belt at 177k miles... Bought a OEM belt from a Nissan dealership near me for $48. The groves still looked deep enough at the time I changed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back