Sequence IIIH Engine Test

I read that part? of sequence iiih test is about maintaining protective viscosity and thermal durability of oil that resists breakdown and stay-in-grade performance. Also how the oil resists the damaging effects of heat ...
For the SN+? the proposed viscosity increase specification limit is 150 percent!

So the %150 is the limit for oil viscosity increase (thickening)! Is that correct?
Curious how you figure out other factors. If the viscosity goes up, how do you measure the ability of one oil to lubricate better than another? Is there a term or any measurement for that?

Do you know what I mean? Hypothetically speaking if an oil got thick within the limit but it is no longer slippery (e.g. turned into honey) as oppose to another oil that got more thick but it is still slippery (i.e. can lubricate better). How do you measure that?

Hopefully this question won't make the experts mad.
shocked2.gif

I don't have the best track record with my "curiosity" questions ...
grin2.gif

Is that 150% of, or 150% more, than the original KV100? Big difference there. But even if it's only 150% of the original viscosity, that seems like an easy limit to meet.
If I saw that amount of increase in one of my UOA's, I'd consider it a failure and start searching for a different oil.
How much does an oil have to oxidize to increase viscosity that much?

The maximum allowable viscosity increase is:
%150 IIIH SN/SN Plus/GF-5
%100 GF-6

I see your point that too much thickening is not desirable ... However, IF these limits are way over the industry standard, why is it not lowered? Do you know the industry average?

I've have seen some very thick looking oil out of our DI engine but my test was dumping some in clear glass bottle and shaking it. Was going to send it for uoa but never did. I've never done a uoa. Don't want to add another task to my list.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer

I've have seen some very thick looking oil out of our DI engine but my test was dumping some in clear glass bottle and shaking it. Was going to send it for uoa but never did. I've never done a uoa. Don't want to add another task to my list.
grin.gif

I didn't want to add an extra task, or spend extra money on a UOA either. Now that I've done it, it was money well spent! For under $10 for the UOA with TBN I have useful data for my vehicles. You might want to reconsider, it could be a task well worth the effort for you.

Based on data below, %150 increase will push KV40 of a 0w20 into the range of a 5w50!
%153.7 increase in KV40.

I am guessing KV100 of used oil doesn't necessarily follow the same percentage! I mean let's say KV40 increases by for example %130 but KV100 only increases %20

Maybe used oil % KV40 increase is relatively much higher than % increase of KV100 (relative to a new oil) or the impact of thicker oil is much more significant at cold temp than the operating temperatures ... and that's why the test doesn't have a limit for KV100.

Does anyone know why KV100 increase is not specified or tested?

Data:
I had Amsoil .pdf handy:
SS 0w20 KV40 = 47.1 KV100 = 8.8
SS 5w50 KV40= 119.5 KV100 = 19.4

I've never seen a UOA on one of my vehicles that showed anything more than barely thickening or thinning, at all. And I mean barely. That's compared to the published PDS for virgin oil. I've only used big brands, mostly Mobil 1, and maybe one run of Supertech, which came back just like the others. No issue there. And most of those were SN rated.

I've never seen a UOA on one of my vehicles that showed anything more than barely thickening or thinning, at all. And I mean barely. That's compared to the published PDS for virgin oil. I've only used big brands, mostly Mobil 1, and maybe one run of Supertech, which came back just like the others. No issue there. And most of those were SN rated.
Most drain oils earlier than need be, myself included.

IIIH is a high temp test.

"Test Parameters Using unleaded gasoline, the engine runs an 8-minute initial lubricant leveling procedure followed by a 15-minute slow ramp-up to speed and load conditions. It then operates at 137 bhp, 3900 rpm, and 151°C (303.8F) lubricant temperature for 90 hours, interrupted at 20-hour intervals for lubricant level checks"

The viscosity limit is now down to 100% from 150%

This was Mobil 1 Triple Action's rating in the IIIH =

View attachment 155625

Seems like they finally listened to average oil user suggestion and lowered the limits. lol

My other question was that why the test doesn't specify a limit for KV100? Or does it?

Maybe at the operating temperatures, there is not much of a concern since KV40 test (being at lower temperatures) provides a better test coverage ... Meaning any "thickening" issues is better tested, caught or covered at 40C and the 100C test or spec will be a redundant!
Basically testing it where it matters most or more meaningful.

Back