September '09 Auto Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: deven
All I can say is that Ford is kicking asssssss. You know their product is good when you factor in the fact that their marketing is not all that great.

Still billions in debt and mortgaged everything two years ago. GM and Chrysler should have done the same but they werent in as bad of shape at the time. Ford needs to sell lots of cars to keep ahead of there burn rate. The media idiots forget to mention that part.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
All I can say is that Ford is kicking asssssss. You know their product is good when you factor in the fact that their marketing is not all that great.

Still billions in debt and mortgaged everything two years ago. GM and Chrysler should have done the same but they werent in as bad of shape at the time. Ford needs to sell lots of cars to keep ahead of there burn rate. The media idiots forget to mention that part.

Weren't in as bad of shape? GM has taken 70 BILLION dollars of taxpayer money and is STILL failing.

Yep, Ford took out debt. They also didn't take our money. The sales reflect what the taxpayers think of that.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: VNTS

Weren't in as bad of shape? GM has taken 70 BILLION dollars of taxpayer money and is STILL failing.

Yep, Ford took out debt. They also didn't take our money. The sales reflect what the taxpayers think of that.

So true.

I know so many people who refuse to buy GM or Chrysler for that reason.

Ford stands to gain more in the future because many people want and American name on their car, but refuse to buy from any business that took their tax revenue. That, combines with many good cars and trucks leads to a good future.

I don't really see how Ford can be competitive going forward.

Their arch rivals have jettisoned significant debt, while Ford is mortgaged up to the eyeballs.

All they have left is Volvo, and they will probably have to sell that to keep the lights on in the home office.

Since they have sold their British assets, they don't make anything that really interests me (other than some of the Lincolns), but if they would bring over the Falcon, I would be interested in buying that.

Here, the GM lots are bare from the firesale - they have no cars to sell.

Originally Posted By: Win
I don't really see how Ford can be competitive going forward.

Their arch rivals have jettisoned significant debt, while Ford is mortgaged up to the eyeballs.

All they have left is Volvo, and they will probably have to sell that to keep the lights on in the home office.

Since they have sold their British assets, they don't make anything that really interests me (other than some of the Lincolns), but if they would bring over the Falcon, I would be interested in buying that.

Here, the GM lots are bare from the firesale - they have no cars to sell.

Ours are bare because they closed them.

Two vacant lots, the huge Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealer (right next to the Ford dealer) and of course Saturn.

Our Chevrolet dealer has some junk stagnating. But then, its reputation has never been great.

Ford brought in 13 Mustangs including a GT500 at the beginning of the summer. They sold ALL the Mustangs and recently brought in a pile more.

Ford is leveraging their Mexico plants on their lower-dollar cars to increase revenue, and I imagine the concessions the UAW have agreed to make for the other two will be a point of focus for Ford, since they are entitled to the same leniency/adjustments that the other two will see or have seen already.

Ford is the only one of the three without bombing sales. As long as they can keep things in motion through the recession turn-around, they will likely do just fine.

AND, if Government Motors or the Fiat/Chrysler project fails, that just leaves them a larger market share to take over. Not too many people were happy that their tax dollars were being pi$$ed into the wind by nature of being dumped into those corporate black holes. They will speak with their purchases.

The pricing on the new stuff from all brands is getting too high. Come on. $45,000+ sticker on some of these 4x4 four door crew cab pickups? So what if it has the super luxo-sport trim pkg. And, yes, I know MSRP doesn't mean that much anymore, with the rebates and such, plus most buyers don't pay anywhere near sticker price, but I'm just saying. I think the problem is the leasing crowd that doesn't look at purchase price in the traditional way, and the fact that for purchase instead of lease they try to make it about the monthly payment and offer financing for up to seven years now. Seven year car loan. Talk about a butt rheaming, wow. Interest plus depreciation and you're buying it twice. Which I guess is why the leasing thing is there, but leasing usually isn't a good deal for most people, it is just a way to get something they can't really afford.

seven years! Boats will go even farther. Makes you wonder what the [censored] people are thinking.

No one ever looks at the loan costs, just the payment. That's the type of thinking that got us here.

I wonder how many people bought cars under the Cash for Clunkers program and can't really afford them?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I wonder how many people bought cars under the Cash for Clunkers program and can't really afford them?

A lot, I would bet. Unfortunately.

The people who self medicated by purchasing new vehicles (I think this # is quite high) won't be doing as much of that as the job market is non-existent. The cash for clunkers did not do anything but pull future sales forward which doesn't really help anything long term and it didn't get people to buy the right car for the times. Even though gas is $2.39 here now, the threat of $4.25 is firmly planted and we will most likely take a European attitude towards vehicles from now on, trucks for tradesmen and fuel efficient econoboxes for most. I'm sure the future scheduling of Lexus, Infiniti and Accura is being brain-slammed right now.

That generation of cars will die off quickly. Those people do little to maintain or repair them. A small accident and they will not be worth fixing.

TOYOTA already has a $750 cash back on the YARIS in some areas . Which is rare for this time of year . Tells that sales are still slow .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back