SEPTA dodged a bullet (railfan news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SEPTA (Southeast Pennsylvania Transit Authority) pulled about 1/3 of their EMUs (Electrical Multiple Units) from service Friday. This was big in our regional news, but I didn't see it in the national news.

Short story: Friday AM when they're getting ready to roll for the day an inspector notices a car leaning. Looks closer, holy [censored] the equalizer bar is broken clean through, luckily it jammed preventing the truck (bearing the wheels of the train car) from collapsing. This is on a Silverliner V, the newest railcars in the fleet. They check equalizer bars on other Silverliner Vs: cracked, cracked, cracked, cracked, cracked, not cracked... 95% of the cars checked exhibited the flaw. From what I read, it's a stress crack at a weld. "Hey boss, we got a problem." They restricted the speed on units in-service and had them all off the lines by the end of the day.

It's going to be a long summer for SEPTA.

Here's one of the better articles I found: http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/07/03/septa-alternate-service-plan-regional-rail/

Last edited:
Hyundai using a "novel" method to weld the stabilizer bars.

What could go wrong ??

Wonder if they are a newer player in the NA rail industry, and haven't been through he school of hard knocks, like the previous supplier - GE.

It's always refreshing to see someone actually doing their job correctly, like that inspector, it's amazing how critical he was in preventing what could have been multiple catastrophes and also possibly hundreds of deaths.

Thank you to those that go to work every day and do their jobs diligently and correctly.
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Hyundai using a "novel" method to weld the stabilizer bars.

What could go wrong ??

Wonder if they are a newer player in the NA rail industry, and haven't been through he school of hard knocks, like the previous supplier - GE.

What problems did GE have in the locomotive industry ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back