Sending UO to Blackstone (Canadians)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read some conflicting dos and don'ts when it comes to sending used oil to Blackstone. I've got my sample ready to ship and I have decided to use a 14x14x14cm box.

I will need to fill out a customs declaration. I will be sending it via FedEx ground. Do you indicate that it is USED OIL or what do you write. I see on the other thread that you shouldn't write "used" and then a post that says its okay.

Any input would be appreciated.

but he has to indicate the contents on the customs declaration form. I would use the least suspicious terminology possible, and not indicate that it's used, it's condition shouldnt be relevant. Maybe just "lubricating oil sample" or something to that effect?

i've used "commercial petroleum sample" and "commercial oil sample" with no difficulty at all. the only problem I had once was going to a post office at a 7-11 I only went to because they were open late, and stated Canada Post doesn't mail liquids. I coudn't even get here to check the post office manual. So i went home, printed the canada post rulebook part where it says mailing liquids is approved, and still no go. I jsst waited til the next morning and mailed it at the shoppers drug mart where i've had no problems before. only question they ask there is, is it flammable? nope.

I send mine via Canada Post (at the local Shoppers Drug Mart). I stuff the whole thing into a bubble envelope and it cost me about $6 last time I sent it. I wrote 'oil sample' on the customs sticker. I had the results from Blackstone in about a week. What's it costing you to send it via FedEx?

Thank You all for the replies. I think I will follow your suggestions. My biggest fear is the package being rejected for some stupid reason.

rcy, FedEx online calculator is estimating about $14 ground with tracking and CP is about $13.50 for "delivery confirmation", so i think I will pay the extra $1.50 for something more reliable. UPS is priced at $20 ground (yikes).

Originally Posted By: rcy
I send mine via Canada Post (at the local Shoppers Drug Mart). I stuff the whole thing into a bubble envelope and it cost me about $6 last time I sent it. I wrote 'oil sample' on the customs sticker. I had the results from Blackstone in about a week. What's it costing you to send it via FedEx?

You live in Burlington and don't use Wearcheck? You could just drive the sample straight to their office on Appleby Line! (that's what I do, and I often get the results the same day if I drop it off first thing in the morning)

Just send it by Canada Post. Small Parcel Air. It's like $7, they'll accept it in the black can that Blackstone provides because it is mail approved, and it gets to Blackstone in about 3 days.

Keep it simple.

sent two samples so far, no problems. Declared it a "lubricant sample" both times stuffed in a bubble envelope regular post for approximately $7.

But listen to Patman if you live near wearcheck.

I send mine via Canada Post (at the local Shoppers Drug Mart). I stuff the whole thing into a bubble envelope and it cost me about $6 last time I sent it. I wrote 'oil sample' on the customs sticker. I had the results from Blackstone in about a week.

Yikes! You are describing my routine exactly!

I am not sure if it is my imagination but I seem to get back the results from Blackstone sooner if I send the sample by land rather than by air
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman

You live in Burlington and don't use Wearcheck? You could just drive the sample straight to their office on Appleby Line! (that's what I do, and I often get the results the same day if I drop it off first thing in the morning)

I've used Wearcheck before. Last UOA I sent to Wearcheck, they told me the TBN on PP that had been in use for 8000km was 7 or 8. I emailed two different people there regarding this being an error, and neither bothered to answer my emails. Sent a sample of the same oil (oil was in use and I use a Blackstone pump) to Blackstone and got a TBN of 3, which seems more likely than 8. Plus, when I emailed Blackstone some questions, they answered the same day.

I'm sure Wearcheck is fine, and I HAD used them before, but I was not impressed with the customer service on that last UOA. They must like you, because it took 3 or 4 days for me to get my results.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Thank You all for the replies. I think I will follow your suggestions. My biggest fear is the package being rejected for some stupid reason.

rcy, FedEx online calculator is estimating about $14 ground with tracking and CP is about $13.50 for "delivery confirmation", so i think I will pay the extra $1.50 for something more reliable. UPS is priced at $20 ground (yikes).

Dunno if I'd call FedEx more reliable...I've heard horror stories. But why not save yourself some money and forget about the delivery confirmation. Maybe it costs more to ship from where you are in Canada, but like I said, I only paid 6 or 7 dollars to ship mine from Burlington.

I am in the GTorontoArea and I mailed off a sample to Blackstone late last Friday afternoon (air mail) and today, 5 days later (including the weekend) I have the pdf oil report in my inbox. Very quick.

I ship to Blackstone in a padded envelope via the "Air Small Packets" service. It ends up being $6 or so. I had my results back within the week.

On the customs form I indicate "Used engine oil for lab analysis" and a value of $0.

Never been asked questions, never given grief, and it arrives tout de suite.

I'd save my money on the box, personally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back