Semi OT - tire threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed while looking for a stock set of rims for my Civic HX, that many of the 'kids' selling the rims/tires on craigslist will say "decent threads", or "80% thread left" and it bugged me. Tires have TREAD, correct? Then I just noticed that wally world has all their tires listed as "•Threadwear Warranty: 70,000 Miles", etc.
confused2.gif

Guess I've been in the wrong? Always thought tires got re-treads, not re-threads.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Then I just noticed that wally world has all their tires listed as "•Threadwear Warranty: 70,000 Miles", etc.
confused2.gif

Was this a makeshift sign by one of the walmart employees? Their website says "tread wear".

'Tread' is correct. Always has been, always will be.

Also, you're looking for wheels. I hate when people call them 'rims'. Drives my OCD nuts!
wink.gif

Craigslist is just a breeding ground for poor grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. If you can wade through that, you'll find some good deals there.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Craigslist is just a breeding ground for poor grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. If you can wade through that, you'll find some good deals there.

Truth.
It's the same here with Canada's most popular classifieds, Kijiji.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
'Tread' is correct. Always has been, always will be.

Also, you're looking for wheels. I hate when people call them 'rims'. Drives my OCD nuts!
wink.gif

Much more likely to get hits on CL while searching for 'rims', though
wink.gif

Walmart threads
^I'm not blind, right? I'm seeing 'threadwear warranty' for all the online walmart tires.

Remember "used tire math" says new is 10/32 (it can be 11/32- 16/32 or more) and 2/32 is still 20%. Those numbers don't brake down right for me.
wink.gif

Much more likely to get hits on CL while searching for 'rims', though
wink.gif

True, sadly.

Quote:
Walmart threads
^I'm not blind, right? I'm seeing 'threadwear warranty' for all the online walmart tires.

Wow, that's really dumb. Probably 'fixed' but some young webmaster who thought he knew better.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Walmart threads

Oh, wow! That's thragic.
smile.gif

Eggcellent!

I occasionally look at the CL ads for tires. I've never seen one that looks like a good value:

- If there are pictures, the life left is clearly overestimated -- a worn-out section with lots of tread elsewhere is still a worn-out tire.

- It's $25-$50 to have a tire mounted and balanced. Lower cost places such as Walmart won't mount a used tire. So the price has to be that much lower to be worthwhile.

- Why would someone be selling just tires? Probably because they are failing, loud, have a flat spot or perform really badly.

Originally Posted By: djb

I occasionally look at the CL ads for tires. I've never seen one that looks like a good value:

- If there are pictures, the life left is clearly overestimated -- a worn-out section with lots of tread elsewhere is still a worn-out tire.

- It's $25-$50 to have a tire mounted and balanced. Lower cost places such as Walmart won't mount a used tire. So the price has to be that much lower to be worthwhile.

- Why would someone be selling just tires? Probably because they are failing, loud, have a flat spot or perform really badly.

Critique my ad please. Be brutal!
wink.gif

Some people can find good deal with misspellings. For example, if you're looking for a diesel, try searching using "deisel". With less traffic, you are likely to have less competition and can score a good deal.

This is a good one:

"Got some civic hx rims
It tires r still in gewd conditions. It's about
50-60 percent of thread
Askin for $320 Or

Text me ONLY at (559)-xxx-xxxx"

Are public skewl sistem is doin a gud job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back