Semi Auto 20 Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering a gas operated semi-auto 20 gauge for home defense. maybe a Remington 1100 or 11/87, is this a good overall home defense weapon with OO buckshot?

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
Considering a gas operated semi-auto 20 gauge for home defense. maybe a Remington 1100 or 11/87, is this a good overall home defense weapon with OO buckshot?

Yes, lightweight and packs huge wallop with little recoil and fast follow up shots.

Why semiauto? Just wondering as a pump will probably be more reliable. Also, bad guys knows the sound of racking slide on a pump.

Why fool with a twenty when you can have a twelve? I have a Moossberg 930 that is a 12 semi and it's a great gun.

Best buy in the home defense world or maybe the gun world is a 12 Ga. Mavrick pump for about $220. Marverick is owned and made by Mossberg. Our family has sevral and no problems at all. Good well made shotguns.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
Also, bad guys knows the sound of racking slide on a pump.

Why do we have to hear this nonsense every time a shotgun and defense get brought up? It's silly. Some bad guys aren't so impressed when you put holes in them. Nothing wrong with a pump but racking used as a defense tactic is not wise.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Also, bad guys knows the sound of racking slide on a pump.

Why do we have to hear this nonsense every time a shotgun and defense get brought up? It's silly. Some bad guys aren't so impressed when you put holes in them. Nothing wrong with a pump but racking used as a defense tactic is not wise.

It also tells the you might not be ready and gives away your location.

I have all 20s. No need for a 12 as my 20 is lighter and more accurate. As less kick for the woman.

Get a Saiga. You can modify it to be a really really good Self Defense shotgun.

As for the Remingtons, they will work, but if you go up to a 12ga, you will find more accessories if you want to make it more tactical and less like a hunting gun that does double duty. Remington also makes off the shelf self defense shotguns if you go to a 12ga.

If you want light, and wont be tactical-izing it, then I would actually look at the Franchi AL48. Super light, and runs on the long recoil system like the Browning A5 of old. I have the 12ga version and love it. It is my go to field gun because its so light and never hangs up. No gas system to clog.

Last edited:
Why semiauto? Just wondering as a pump will probably be more reliable.

The Remington 1100 semi-auto holds the worlds record, something like 11,000 rounds without jamming I believe.

Thanks for all the input, I'm now leaning toward a Mossberg SA 20 tactical, short 20" barrel and 5 + 1 capacity, looks like a fine balance of features and cost.

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
Thanks for all the input, I'm now leaning toward a Mossberg SA 20 tactical, short 20" barrel and 5 + 1 capacity, looks like a fine balance of features and cost.

Only problem with Mossberg semi autos, is that the models don't tend to stick around long. I also believe that gun is made overseas for Mossberg. If it gets discontinued, you would end up with an oprhan gun quickly. While the Remington has been in production since the early 60's and parts would never be an issue.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Just as an aside, a 20ga pump or auto is an illegal assault weapon in Oz...

just saying.

I still remember seeing footage of BEAUTIFUL high grade FN/Browning Auto 5 shotguns getting chop sawed when they went down in Oz. Still makes me want to cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back