Selling your favorite car....and regretting it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss my '02 Green Accord. Totaled. That was a fine machine. It even had the woodgrain kit and a moon roof. EX trim. I was the man.

I like my truck and my little 97 a lot though.

I regret selling the 98 Firebird Formula I bought new in April 98 and then traded for a 97 GTP in the fall of 2000. I should have just hung onto the Firebird longer and then I could've gotten into my Corvette a year sooner. Instead I ended up trading that 97 GTP for a 95 Formula in October 2001, and kept the 95 until August 2004. Those two cars in between the 98 Formula and my Corvette were still ok cars, but were definitely a step backwards and that really bugged me for a while.

About the only vehicle I miss is my '47 GMC 1/2 ton PU. 10/30/69, I was on my way home and the headlights failed. I wedged it in between 2 trees. Totalled. I have been missing that truck since. Price one today if you can find one.

A few years back I was in the process of restoring a Model T and let my cousin talk me in to selling it to him. If you've never driven a Model T, you don't know what you're missing. A great blast from the past for tooling around town in the spring and summer months. A great piece of American automotive history. I miss that old jewel.

I miss two:

1) My '94 Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe, gold ("metallic beige," GM called it) with a tan velour interior. I put fancier rims on it, though the same size, and enjoyed it immensely. I traded it for an '84 Mercedes 280CE gas engine coupe, which was great, but I still love the styling and color of the Olds.

2) The '86 Mercedes 420SEL, a big grey on grey sedan with the midsized V8. I bought it at 136K and drove it -- over half of Colorado, part of New Mexico, and in 2001 back from Colorado to The Swamp -- up to 198K. At that mileage, still looking superb at 18, it was totalled while parked by a drunken teen yakking on her cell phone. Grrr. . . .

When my Dad passed away I was driving a 1977 Buick with over 100k miles on the clock but mint otherwise. I inherited his brand new Olds and had no way to keep my tired old Buick. I let it go cheaply and some 20+ years later I find myself looking for that car when I see a familiar tail light or grill. I was just a kid back then but knowing what I know now, I would have just put it up on blocks and covered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back