Selling your favorite car....and regretting it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching Barrett-Jackson this weekend. A certain black 1971 340 'Cuda brought some memories back of my car that I foolishly sold. So I penned a few words about it.

http://www.examiner.com/x-16995-Grand-Rapids-American-Muscle-Car-Examiner~y2010m1d4-Lessons-Learned-Never-Sell-a-Prized-Mopar-Musclecar

Anybody else ever suffer through this same folly?

I wish I could have kept my old A4. Alas, I was moving to another continent and transporting it was just not a viable option. I still miss it though.

I try not to sell things like that for that reason, that's why I have 5 old cars.
lol.gif
I wish I still had my first though, I didn't have a choice, a ditch ran out in front of me and totaled it...probably made it into beer cans.
frown.gif

It's funny you mention guns at the top, that's what I was thinking too. Somebody is going to inherit a bunch of good stuff when I die...
lol.gif

I wish I still had my '99 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner. I had to sell it in '01 due to upcoming child expenses. I've had nicer vehicles since, but I still miss the Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
I try not to sell things like that for that reason, that's why I have 5 old cars.
lol.gif

+1 becoming impractical though for me...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
+1 becoming impractical though for me...

This is America, we don't have to be practical!
grin2.gif
I ran out of space at home so I leased a warehouse....
27.gif

Honestly the Jeep Cherokee that I drive is a POS. It's been to the moon and then some, and it shows. I can afford to drive something nicer...[censored]...I could have just about any car I wanted if I got rid of all my old ones and the warehouse...but I just love driving my Jeep. I can't explain why. And I have more fun driving a rusty old farm truck than a new one off the lot too.
21.gif

Grew up working on cars with friends almost every evening. One of them owned a used 1968 Camaro with the 327, 4 speed manual trany, 202 power packed heads, 650 CFM carb, headers, and big slick back tires. I drove that machine a few times, and I do mean drove it. Left about 8 inches of no black streak on the road between shifts. I think everyone of us who worked on cars at that garage misses that one machine. Darn thing got great gas millage to. Chevy added 500 pounds to them in 69 and ruined the design as far as I am concerned.

The Cuda reference brings back a few memories to, man the smoke the tires on that thing made.

I`d give anything in the world to have my 1996 Caracus Red 3000GT back. That was THEE BEST and most reliable piece of machinery I`ve ever owned hands down!
fypycg.jpg

There are two that I regret selling. My 1950 Studebaker Champion and 1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider. Any of the rest that have passed through, I've been ready to move on.

Ed

I actually sort of miss my rusting out 1982 Cadillac Cimarron. When I sold it in y2k I was thinking it would be cool to save to 2007 when I could run antique plates...

While it was as dreadfully slow as the pundits would have you believe it was eccentric enough to make a nice weekend driver now.

I never got the chance to drive it but I miss my Dads 1976 Valiant with the slant six. :S

I miss my 1989 Mazda MX-6 and its oscillating center vents. I liked the styling also. I don't miss the factory paint. The interior was very durable. It was easy to work on.

My favorite vehicle that I regretted giving away was my 1988 Mitsubishi pickup truck. It was a good solid truck. I wish I still had it if I never misdiagnosed it for a bad carb. It still haunts me sometimes where I should have diagnosed the fuel pump first. If I fixed that problem, I would still have the truck today.

Originally Posted By: labman
How about in the mid 80's explaining to your 14 year son you sold you '57 Chevy?

At one time my family had a Black 57 Chevy with red interior.

My list is too long but should have kept my 88 Lincoln Town Car longer...Even though it had 300K miles on it [mostly highway] I was really upset after it was gone..That was a real good car...What made it so bad was I saw it 3 years later [same owner I sold it to] and it was running just fine and still looked real good.

In 1972 I gave my '66 Chevelle to the circle-track driver I worked for to be turned into a race car. It wasn't cherry or rare by any means, at least by '72 standards. By today's standards, with all the repro body panels, it would be a keeper.

That experience has led to keeping my wife's first car, a '73 Camaro, in our possession. It hasn't been licensed in 15 years, but some day .....I hope time and money will come together at the same time ... etc, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back