Selling the VW need a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Wolf359

I've got a Mercedes with has the same parts issue as your car. But even though most stores don't stock the parts, most of what I need I can get in a day or two. While Autozone didn't stock my alternator, I was able to order it online and I actually got it the next day. Seems they ship out at 9pm at night and their warehouse was just a few towns over from me so I got it the next day. Most other parts are the same or because I have a 2nd car, I can always wait a couple days for the parts to come in.

If you're worried about breakdowns, there's always AAA, I have the 100 miles free towing, but you can step it up to 200 miles if you want plus they also offer some kind of trip break down insurance which I've never had to use.

I can't imagine what a 200 mile tow would cost, but it's a good point. If it did break, just spend the coin and have it towed. Hitch a ride home with the tow guy. Diagnose the problem, order the parts, drive a different vehicle, fix on the weekend.

IMO, being able to only own one vehicle tends to push one into "needing" to have a more reliable vehicle. But having multiple vehicles means one has options.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I don't get this. A 6 year old Dart has already depreciated and can be used as the primary baby on board car. While putting a baby into the backseat of a 2 door isn't the easiest thing, on a whim it'll work..

Dunno about the OP but "on a whim" happens very often. If you don't live in town driving may be a daily occurrence, especially if day care is involved. Eventually pre-school becomes a thing. This 2 door issue can be dealt with, people did it for years, but I imagine it's like everything else, it sure would be nicer to have the right tool for the job.

I did break down once 15+ years ago and it was a 104 mile tow to the dealer. I had AAA Plus so 100 free miles and then had to pay $4 a mile so $16 for the tow. It's probably more per mile now. Mercedes offers free towing to their dealership but you have to get it fixed there.

As for the problem with the two doors, I've seen a guy driving a Geo Metro with 3 kids in it. At the time it was considered one of the top 10 death cars along with Mustang and Corvettes in terms of most people killed per mile driven in the car. Mustang and Corvettes made sense due to speeders, but Geo Metro due to the small size of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back