Selling my Raptor, a comparison of online buyers

I sold my 2021 Ford Raptor with 21,000 miles on it last week. I didn’t want to jinx it by mentioning it til the check cleared. I got 4 quotes and figured people here might find it useful:

Carvana: $69,551
Givemethevin.com: $71,500
Vroom: $60,000
Carmax: $67,000

Obviously I sold it to givemethevin.com and it was very easy. Submitted the info online, had a call from their buyer within minutes and an offer shortly after that. I agreed the following day to the $71,500 and they overnighted some paperwork and an inactive check. I sent it back the following day (Saturday) and dropped the truck at my local Manheim Auction. Monday at lunch they said the check was active and I could deposit. Easy peezy vs my last sale to Vroom of my 2019 Raptor.

For reference I bought the truck new for $73,880 and put 21,000 miles on it. I did spend $200 or so on tint and $850 on a tonneau cover that I could’ve likely kept and resold but I didn’t want to mess with it.

Ordered a Tesla Model Y Performance (I know, I know) and will hopefully have it in the next few weeks.

The Tesla will put $20k in my pocket and save me about $4000 a year in fuel for my commute. Maybe I’ll buy another truck if prices ever come back to Earth.

Attachments

• IMG_3319.jpeg
    IMG_3319.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 44
I'll jump in and specify the following geezer observation so we can get it out of the way.

I bought my first house for 89K

Looks good although not a fan of the rims. They remind of the toyota stamped steel ones that rusted after 6 years. Are you going to miss it?

I bought my first house for $379k, I guess it’s all relative. I’ve spent about $139,000 on the 2 Raptors and sold them for $141,500. Not bad for 2 new vehicles. The wheels are the Ford forged beadlocks, an upgrade over the stock ones. I like them but liked the 2019 wheels slightly better.

I won’t miss putting $125 in the tank every 8-10 days. Loved the ride and ability to drive through potholes and it actually handled pretty well for a 6,000 lb truck.

Attachments

• IMG_3361.jpeg
    IMG_3361.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 15
I bought my first house for $379k, I guess it’s all relative. I’ve spent about $139,000 on the 2 Raptors and sold them for $141,500. Not bad for 2 new vehicles. The wheels are the Ford forged beadlocks, an upgrade over the stock ones. I like them but liked the 2019 wheels slightly better.

I won’t miss putting $125 in the tank every 8-10 days. Loved the ride and ability to drive through potholes and it actually handled pretty well for a 6,000 lb truck.

Good to see you got top dollar.

$125 not that crazy if you enjoy the truck and have fun.

Good to see you got top dollar.

$125 not that crazy if you enjoy the truck and have fun.

No, not bad really. I get the itch for something new after a couple years typically and not losing my shirt on a new vehicle was just too tempting to sell. The Tesla will probably cost me if Elon keeps lowering prices, but oh well.

I'm shocked Carvana was that competitive. I didn't think they would still be in business compared to the rumors 4 months ago.

I sold a vehicle to Carvana in November 2021. It was a 2019 Highlander with 34k miles. Fairly mint condition. I paid $34,000 for it new from the dealer in September 2019 with 3 miles on it. No one had ever driven it other than the factory test 3 miles/truck driver/lot lizard. No one had ever sat in the passenger seats before we took it home.

Anyway, Carvana paid me $33,500 for it. Not sure I will ever be able to take advantage of that kind of situation again. Any other time in my life, any vehicle I bought was worth $5-10K less within 90 days of purchase. Certainly have never been able to ride for the cost of maintenance and sales taxes.

Speaking of maintenance, I had 7 oil changes (done by me, $18 each), 1 wheel balance/rotate ($40), 3 tire rotates (done by me), 1 cabin air filter ($18). $185 in maintenance over 2 years.

4 weeks later, Carvana finally had the Highlander listed for $35,800 IIRC. It wasn't over $36k. Blew me away.

Tesla is out of my
No, not bad really. I get the itch for something new after a couple years typically and not losing my shirt on a new vehicle was just too tempting to sell. The Tesla will probably cost me if Elon keeps lowering prices, but oh well.

I can’t afford a Tesla but with the constant price cuts I will be able to afford one by next year.

I'm shocked Carvana was that competitive. I didn't think they would still be in business compared to the rumors 4 months ago.

I sold a vehicle to Carvana in November 2021. It was a 2019 Highlander with 34k miles. Fairly mint condition. I paid $34,000 for it new from the dealer in September 2019 with 3 miles on it. No one had ever driven it other than the factory test 3 miles/truck driver/lot lizard. No one had ever sat in the passenger seats before we took it home.

Anyway, Carvana paid me $33,500 for it. Not sure I will ever be able to take advantage of that kind of situation again. Any other time in my life, any vehicle I bought was worth $5-10K less within 90 days of purchase. Certainly have never been able to ride for the cost of maintenance and sales taxes.

Speaking of maintenance, I had 7 oil changes (done by me, $18 each), 1 wheel balance/rotate ($40), 3 tire rotates (done by me), 1 cabin air filter ($18). $185 in maintenance over 2 years.

4 weeks later, Carvana finally had the Highlander listed for $35,800 IIRC. It wasn't over $36k. Blew me away.

Vroom bought my 2019 that I paid $64,500 for new for $70,000 with 19,000 miles. They listed it for something like $78,000, then lowered the price each week. Last I saw it was $67 or $68,000. Not a great way to make money for them!

Givemethevin just runs it straight through the auction, no retail sales. I’m curious what they end up getting for it.

If prices were back to earth would you have sold the raptor?

Love it to sell, hate it to buy.

If it was worth $20,000 less I’d probably still have it and just buy something else to commute with. I think I was just so excited to have bought 2 new vehicles and not lost my shorts so I sold.

I'll jump in and specify the following geezer observation so we can get it out of the way.

I bought my first house for 89K

Looks good although not a fan of the rims. They remind of the toyota stamped steel ones that rusted after 6 years. Are you going to miss it?
I bought my first house for $62,000,00 in the bay area but my brand new 1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne pickup fairly optioned up was almost $5,000.00 out the door. Don't know what an equivelant p/u would cost now but the value of the $62,000.00 house is over a million and a half. using Zillow pricing

A friend of mine just sold his 2011 Raptor with 170,000 miles on it for $19,000. It was a nice well cared for truck.

The upcoming UAW strike will probably keep Carvana afloat for a bit longer.

Back