Selling for more than when it was new?

I think your title should have read "Priced for more" rather than "Selling for more".

Even so, there are some lazy rich people out there that will pay too much for Carvana's service and they might be trying to get into the green by taking advantage of the current market inflated pandemic pricing.

1617216845210.jpg

Apparently it sat on the lot over 2 years before it was initially sold

The truck market is in a bubble right now, but I can't imagine someone will buy that truck at that price.

That truck looks like it was speced out by my city for the meter readers to drive. No wonder it sat for 2 years.

not entirely surprising...
now granted, the following example isn't a truck, and was in the before times (no covid premium), but when my brother traded in his 6 month old ecoboost mustang on a chally back in '16, the dodge folks listed it, used, with 3k mi, and a driveline vibration, for more than he paid new...

Also ***** $38k for that...they're high af

My buddy's 2017 CCSB 4x4 Z71 LTZ is worth $36-38k.

Quite a few models are selling used at or near a brand new vehicle prices. Some of the pristine 2nd gen Tacomas are fetching used prices as high as a brand new 3rd gen, comparably equipped. Yes the pickup truck market has gone insane. Also the C8 Corvette is selling used for more than the MSRP, but dealerships are not even selling at MSRP that I know of. I bought a 1972 Gremlin for $400... 5 years and 100k trouble-free miles later, I sold it for $700 LOL. Sorry if this isn't relevant to topic but wanted to mention these.

Quite a few models are selling used at or near a brand new vehicle prices. Some of the pristine 2nd gen Tacomas are fetching used prices as high as a brand new 3rd gen, comparably equipped. Yes the pickup truck market has gone insane. Also the C8 Corvette is selling used for more than the MSRP, but dealerships are not even selling at MSRP that I know of. I bought a 1972 Gremlin for $400... 5 years and 100k trouble-free miles later, I sold it for $700 LOL. Sorry if this isn't relevant to topic but wanted to mention these.

The entire used car market is completely wrecked at the moment, has been for months now. I haven't looked lately, but when I was shopping my Ranger, used ones with up to 30,000 miles were priced the same as what I ended up buying mine for new off the lot.

If you want to see something even worse. Try and buy an RV right now. Between demand being sky high, and there being a shortage of AC's and Refrigerators, not only can you buy a massively overpriced used unit, but if you happen to want a popular new unit you'd better put a deposit on it and be prepared to wait until at least November/December. I called a dealer about one we were interested in, they've had something like 12 of the model on order, all sold, and don't even expect those for months.

I'm hoping that market crashes hard and I'll be able to pick one up late 21 early 22 for a steal.

I made a fair bit of money on my Jeep TJ when I was in an accident a few years ago (not my fault.)
Even my DD now is worth more according to the Black Book then when I bought it 2 yrs ago...
Good time to sell if you have extra vehicles, not so good to buy!

Last edited:
I paid $36k for my Mustang brand new
Sticker was 44k

It now has 30,000 miles and is paid off

This weeks cash offers:
Kbb $32k
Edmunds/CarMax $33k
Carvana $34k

It’s been going up for months. I think in a few more weeks I can get more than I paid for it.

I know from the stang forums, I am not alone and people are already getting more for trading in than they paid for it new.

They probably know it's a rare configuration, and are betting that someone will have to have it rather than just moving it fast. They have plenty of other trucks that will sell fast. Carvana also has pretty basic reg cab '11 Rangers for like $15k.

Ps. I would pay more for a regular cab, than a crew cab. If I was 50, and had a bunch of kids, I would still have a regular cab for myself, and a mini van for taking along the family. But I will never have a bunch of kids, so do not need to concern myself with it. If I have a child at all, it will be just one.

Back