Sell me Oil! Or where is the best places to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I'm new. I just bought a '96 Subaru Legacy AWD with MT. Now I need oil. Gear oil, motor oil, you name it I am at some point going to need it. I just don't know where to start. I read how you all like this oil or that, But I don't know where to buy all this said oil or how much it costs. I ask you all, where do I start? Who should I buy from? Why should I buy your stuff over my baseline 0-30 M1 @ about $5 a quart. And then there is gear oil I NEED to replace the front transaxle and rear diff oil, again what and from whome should I buy this from. Idealy I like to get this all from one person, as I'll save I shipping and maybe get some value for buying in blulk. I want to thank you all for your help.

cheers.gif

SirEager, first let me say WELCOME.
welcome.gif

I have a 94 subaru impreza AWD with a 1.8l engine and a mt. i use the car to get to and from work. mine has 113k on the clock. i use pennzoil platinum 10w30 with puralator pure1 filter. engine runs smooth and quiet. and i average 32 mpg.
and no oil usage. get it at wal-mart for 18$ and filters at advance auto parts when on sale.
I have changed my trans and rear diff to amzoil gear oil. seems to shift real easy with the amzoil in the trans.
all and all my subaru is a great work car. i just don't race anyone and when i come to a hill i have to turn the A/C off to keep my steam up.LOL.

I encourage you to buy from a site sponsor here. A large portion of my small proceeds help support this site, as do the other sponsors.

Shop here, using my zo# and I'll rebate your shipping cost:

Amsoil

Take a look at the Severe Gear - gear oil for the diffs and MT

As for motor oil, tell me a little more about your driving habits, miles per year in that type of driving style, etc.....

So after 3 days, after asking an oil fourm for sales contacts, I only get ONE amsoil retailer.

Where are the retailers of the other oils the shaffers, SF, Castro, Mobile and other venders of oil? Well it looks no one else want to see me oil.

I really don't know what to say
confused.gif
dunno.gif
confused.gif

SirEager: AFAIK, there are no vendors here on BITOG that sell Castrol or Mobil...or if there are, they post very infrequently. Schaeffer is a site sponsor, their contact info is here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000035

and here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000027

and here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000022

More BITOG site sponsors who sell oil:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=12

I never said I did not... Just when a guy is jumpping around in a car show room waving 50K around. You expect more then a few sales peaple running to sell you a car.
grin.gif

Moreover if I was a Volvo dealer and I knew this fool was at a Ford dealership nextdoor I would try to steal him away and sell him a more expnecive car.

I truely repect Pablo for finding me. A true sales person can smell sales lead a mile away. I just can't belive only ONE Amsoil sales rep saw the silly man wanting to buy oil.
confused.gif
dunno.gif
confused.gif

P.S. No one else told me where they buy there oil.

Most people here buy from various retail stores, so we wouldn't be "selling" anything. If you want a mail order oil, then support one of our sponsers and we'll all be happy.

Follow UP. I am leaning to Amsoil. They can sell me everything I need save a good 0-20 oil.

I need gear oil first. What I read from off this board said good things about Amsoil Server Duty Gear oil 75-90w. BUT everybody responding to my post about gear oils say run away and use Redline instead. I under stand that Amsoil product favor the bearings over the syncros ... BUT is it that BAD????

My car has over 185K on it and I worried more about wear then great shifting. Oh and if I can save a little gas lubing my AWD powertrain with the right oil all the better. CobbTunning (Subaru Guys) like the old Amsoil "Smurf Oil" http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/gearoil/index.html BTW I willing to about the other great gear lubes for my car too.

I might be a silly guy begging to spend money, but please forgive me If I like to be informed first.

NOW that is funny. Thanks. I didn't really need to find you SirEager
smile.gif
You have a great thread title!

One thing I will add about manual transmissions - one person's pleasure can be another person's pain. MT shift feel can be very subjective. Some folks like a positive notch feel, others want zero feel, just all butter. Now we mix into this some comments about one gear oil protecting better than another - and imagine what? No one can break out the data either way! Almost, if not all, input provided is subjective.

The good news is with aftermarket synthetic gear lubes is twofold: 1) It is almost if not always better than what is factory fill and 2) you don't need to buy a case of any product to fill your MT.

Yep that positive notch feel is good. But that positive feel from your stick is going the way of the Dodo.

BTW I'm happy to make you smile Poblo.
cool.gif

If a preferred customer uses your ZO# do you still make money off a sale?

You'll not go wrong ordering Amsoil. I like them because not only is the product exceptional quality, I don't have to go searching Wally World and assorted auto parts stores for what I need. Order it on line, a couple days later it is at my doorstep. I use it in nearly everything I own.

One thing though-I found that the Severe Gear in the transmission of my 05 Outback Sport made it nearly impossible to shift in extrememly cold temperatures. Not just a little stiff-but nearly impossible to move the shift lever until the transmission had warmed up some.

I changed to RedLine Manual Transmission Fluid this winter and it shifted fine.

Pablo advised that there was a different Amsoil product available (don't remember which one) specifically for manual transmissions that might have been a better choice. I'll probably give that a try next time I change the transmission fluid.

Engine oils can be had at any wallyworld. More speciality oils can be had at Advanced Auto, Autozone or Oriely's. Wallyworld usually have the lowest prices but they usually only sell Fram filters. The other shops mentioned will carry a lot of different common brands such as Purolator, AC/Delco and Motorcraft.

Why do you want someone to "sell you something" so bad?

Do your research and ask questions then decide what you want.

I had the misfortune of selling cars once upon a time and a customer waving money around wanting salesmen to fight over him had way bigger issues than purchasing a car. I would avoid that customer like he had bird flu.

Milwaukee,

You might have a point. But my rant about "the guy ... waving 50K at a car dealership", was not about having salespeople fight over me. It WAS about how frustrating it is to find a good sales person when your ready to buy. That is my issue.

I maybe this image will illustrate my point better, deep sea fishing. This thread is my bait, I'm fishing today for hungry/interested sales people.

Lets think of all makers of oil without retail inroads. Quite a few. Now I been lurking these forums for about 3-4 years. I visited the manufacturers webs sites and only Amsoil has their prices listed on the website.
As for the others manufacturers I'm missing the cost portion of the cost/performance analyses. A good sales person knows the prices, products, discounts, shipping rates, everything that matters. Now maybe I'm contacting the wrong site sponsors, but of the vendors I emailed, only the SF people replied. And we all know Pablo is the only vendor that replied to this tread.

I just find it funny how we all talk about oil. But when when come to buying this said oil, no one offers advice.
confused.gif

P.S. For the thinner oils the 0-20s, 5-20, 0-30s, and a lesser extent 5-30s retail outlets in the Northeast are quite hit and miss. Good oils like my base line M1 are often sold out.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back