Sell Accord for Economy Car? Your Opinion Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m toying with the idea of selling my 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 for a smaller, more economical vehicle like the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, or Mazda 3.

Could someone look over my thought process and give me their opinion?

Accord:
- 100% paid for
- 69k current miles (should last well into the 150k mile range, correct?)
- Purchased in October 2013 from a local, private company (salesman owned car)
- Detailed maintenance records prove this vehicle was maintained correctly
- I have had zero issues in the year that I have owned the car
- Tires will need changing in the spring ($600 – 800 installed)
- Fluids will need changing in 2015 (brake fluid, power steering, coolant – few hundred bucks)
- Belts are original and may need changing for preventative maintenance
- I have only put approximately 5,500 miles on the Accord in a year. I live less than 5 miles round trip from work, which is majority of my driving. Plus, I commute as much as possible during the summer months on my motorcycle.
- I average around 19 MPG

Pros: the smooth and peppy V6 engine, styling, I know the history of the car, top of the line model and well equipped

Cons: some annoying rattles known on this model Accord, will need to put money (approximately $1k) into it in 2015, fuel economy could be better but not a deal breaker by any means

The reason I am interested in the Civic, Corolla, 3 vehicles is because I can get them with about half of the miles of my Accord, 2-3 years newer in model year, better fuel economy (not a major concern, but is nice – my guess is I would average around 29 MPG), cheaper tires when it comes time to replace, and should be cheaper to insure. No loan will be taken out to purchase the new to me car. The downside is that I will have to pay roughly $1k in sales tax. The way I view it, I will be paying $1k either way; keep the Accord and pay $1k in maintenance or buy the Corolla and pay the $1k in sales tax.

Am I crazy for considering this?

Please share your thoughts.

I would say with the money you'd lose on the accord, not too much, I'd think it'd be better to have the civic. But, with the EX-L model, you'll be paying quite a bit even for a used one.

The Accord is an economy car.

Stick with it.

Anytime you trade, you're wasting money.

And that's your personal "economy" there.

I wouldn't do it. Accord is the better car here, compared to the other 3 you're considering.

Besides, are you just going to keep on trading cars every time a potential $1K maintenance bill comes around?

The fuel economy argument is pretty much irrelevant here considering how short your commute is.

As far as the rattles, can't they be fixed?

No car is ideal. You'd be trading one set of issues for another, IMO.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The Accord is an economy car.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Beat me to it.
smile.gif

Keep the car! I just traded my 2005 Honda Accord V6 with 225K miles and miss it. It was starting to show its age and we just needed to upgrade to something larger. I purchased it new and it is the favorite car I ever owned, but unfortunately life situations change (and cars get older). Yes, there may be some maintenance costs, but you may have that in another car as well unless you buy new. Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you decide. If you were closer to VA, I might even be interested in it. LOL.

You drive it 5,500miles/year. It's paid off. $1k/year, every year, in repair costs isn't that bad. At such low miles/year I doubt it would be $1k/year.

I'd keep it. Unless if you hate it or something. Even then, I don't think there is any financial argument for trading. If you were to change jobs and drive a lot more, you'd get more than 19mpg.

Doesn't sound like you drive enough miles per year to justify the fuel savings; you'll save a few hundred bucks per year at 29 mpg vs 19 mpg with only 5,500 miles per year @ 3$/gallon plus you lose the awesome v6 for your right foot!

Also finding another well documented vehicle is not as easy as it probably happened with the accord.

I would stick with the accord too!

unless you drive 50k miles hwy each year, just stick with what you have, do the fluids yourself and find good on the tires.

Keep the Accord. You've said it hasn't had any issues in the time you have owned it. It won't cost anywhere near $1000 in maintenance annually with the low mileage you drive.

Does Kentucky give you a sales tax credit on the vehicle you sell or trade? In Missouri we have 180 days before or after the purchase to offset the sales tax. Either way, keep the Accord.

You live about 2.5 miles away from work? Consider selling the car and ride a bicycle to work! Invest the money you'll save and retire a few years earlier.

If you really need a car, maybe sell the Accord and get an OLDER Corolla or similar car, so you pocket some money on the trade. With the little amount of mileage you accumulate, you can afford to buy something that already has higher mileage. Take that money you pocketed and set it aside for potential repairs.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Consider selling the car and ride a bicycle to work!

He already mentioned he bikes to work when weather is good.

If maintained, your Accord will go well beyond 150k. This proposed trade makes no sense at all. You will end up money down on a less comfortable car.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

No, he said he rides a motorcycle to work when the weather is good.

Learn to do the easy maintenance stuff yourself (its not hard) and you'll save $ - your DIY list should be done for under $100.
Trading for a vehicle of similar cost is a sure-fire way to loose money. You don't drive enough that the MPG makes any difference.
Shop around for tire deals. $100 rebates happen a few times a year.

Accord v6 is so much better than those, unless you have a 50mile commute it doesnt come close to making sense to trade it in.. unless you hate it.

There are also ways to save doing abit of maintenance yourself if that's an option.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

No, he said he rides a motorcycle to work when the weather is good.

Unless you work at a factory and don't care about your BO, I don't see how riding a bicycle to work is going to be practical. In summer time, you'll be sweating by the time you get to work. In winter time, you'll be freezing to death and/or sliding around. Selling a car is not an option, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back