Self Service Oil Change Business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll have a hard time finding insurance for this type of business. There were a few DIY shops around here several years ago. All went belly up.

Don't think you can just file for an LLC either - it's incredibly easy to pierce the corporate veil of a single member LLC.

Way too much risk for not enough gain IMO. Help friends and family if you want and maybe a few customers on the side, but that's it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE
As a former business owner, and also former Master Tech, I don't think there is sufficient interest in something like this to make it viable. In fact I know a guy that tried something similar in a fairly large city, and it was an utter failure. Lots of regulations and liability, and very little interest were it's downfall.

I agree, well said!

I'd gladly give you a twenty spot so I could do the dreaded winter oil change in a nice warm shop with a lift. You could also heat the shop with drain oil.
Worth it to me not to have to lay on cold concrete and also to use the oil and filter that I want to use with me doing the work as carefully as only an owner would.
Not too many like me though, even though there are a number of such folks here.
A nice idea that probably isn't economically viable.

As others have said, insurance/liability would be the big thing. I think in order to make money, you would have to charge a fair amount. I would say $35-$39, but to add appeal, provide a wash bay with appropriate chemicals, glass cleaner, etc...

One of the Pep Boys locations around here closed down many years ago and sat empty for a long time. I know of one person who considered buying it and making it a self-service repair shop where people could rent space, including the lifts, borrow tools, etc. The deal-breaker ? Insurance.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
The numbers would simply never add up.

Which is unfortunate. There are a couple of businesses out there where you can rent a lift and fully equipped with tools hourly and can pay an extra fee to have some help from a certified mechanic but they are rare for a reason... It's a better money maker just to have an actual shop at that point and by the time you include insurance it's probably not much more work to have an actual shop...

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
The numbers would simply never add up.

Which is unfortunate. There are a couple of businesses out there where you can rent a lift and fully equipped with tools hourly and can pay an extra fee to have some help from a certified mechanic but they are rare for a reason... It's a better money maker just to have an actual shop at that point and by the time you include insurance it's probably not much more work to have an actual shop...

Yep. There was one that opened up not far from me and I found out about it through a groupon, the discounted price was decent, but I thought the regular price was a bit on the high side. In any event, I didn't need to do anything at the time so I didn't bother to buy it, but kept and eye on it in case I ever needed it. Then a couple years later I looked for it and it had gone out of business. I don't know of any other DIY shops like that near me. The only real deal was the auto shop on a military base. Last time I had access to one, it was like $3 an hour. But that's subsided by the government.

Night shift belongs to the ambitious. I asked a trucker friend/neighbor if for a post retirement gig, I bought 20 acres and offered night service to mostly logging trucks, could I make money at it?
In short, a truck would drop off at 7pm and be serviced and ready to go at 5 am. Nothing major, just lights, trailer wiring, lubricants 'n grease job. Which can take over an hour on a logging truck
or backhoe for example.
His answer? In a week you would be turning people away.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
The only real deal was the auto shop on a military base. Last time I had access to one, it was like $3 an hour. But that's subsided by the government.

That's the only known place that allows lift rentals but you have to either be in the military or work on base (even working on base may not get you access). Now apparently a non-military person can go there with someone that's in the service.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Wolf359
The only real deal was the auto shop on a military base. Last time I had access to one, it was like $3 an hour. But that's subsided by the government.

That's the only known place that allows lift rentals but you have to either be in the military or work on base (even working on base may not get you access). Now apparently a non-military person can go there with someone that's in the service.

I worked on base and it was explicitly mentioned as a work benefit so I had no problem using it. I just used it once to change my transmission fluid.

This topic gets brought up from time to time and I have yet to see a successful argument for it. Too many pitfalls as already mentioned.

The masses are [censored] and would be its downfall from many levels.

Yes, every once in a while someone comes up with an oil changing business idea and it never pans out. It is simply impossible to make a living doing oil changes. When people need to get their oil changed, they have 3 options:
1. Do it themselves - good for DIYers like us who enjoy working on their cars and have the knowledge, ability, and tools to do it. We do it mostly because we enjoy it and/or don't trust someone else to do it, as you usually save only a little money over having someone else do it.
2. Take the car to a Jiffy Lube or other "quick oil change" place and get the oil changed for about $30. These places do NOT make any money off of a $30 oil change. The oil change is just to get you in the door where they can hopefully upsell you on things that are actually profitable, like transmission fluid changes, air filters and wiper blades. If you decline all those things and just go with the oil change only, they lost money. But they'll make it up on the next guy who gets upsold.
3. Take the car to a dealer or an independent repair shop. These places may charge a little more than the quick-lube place, but they're still not making any money off the oil change. They change the oil both as a courtesy to their customers, and (like the quick-lube places), use it as an opportunity to inspect the car and hopefully upsell you on other (profitable) repairs and maintenance. The upsells may or may not be warranted, depending on how honest the dealer/shop is.

Point is, you're never going to make any money doing JUST oil changes. All of the businesses that change oil also offer other services so they can actually make money, because the oil changes themselves don't make anything. You'd have to charge significantly more money than the local quick-lube place to make any profit, and hardly anybody is going to be willing to pay that price for little-to-no perceived extra value.

We had one of those when I was in the Air Force on the base in Lubbock, TX back in the 1980's. They had several bays with and without lifts and you could rent just about any tool you could imagine. Prices were very cheap and there was always a certified mechanic on duty sort of making rounds and checking on everyone. Seems like they charged by the hour. I recall the weekends were very busy and would usually require an appointment.

I'd say the insurance would be about impossible to get today.

Last edited:
I can't imagine enough people paying any reasonable amount to do that. I always thought it would be enjoyable to have a sort of modifications shop with nothing more complex than say a lift or lowering kit. Simple radio and speaker upgrades, cold air intakes, bumpers, winches, accessories, etc. And a small cafe/coffee shop for while they wait. Or maybe an oil/car wash combo with a small cafe... just thinking out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back