Self Service Oil Change Business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Fellow BITOG's. Opinions and constructive input needed. I am especially interested hearing from those either in or were business, those who have first hand knowledge, experience, or knows those who have been or are successful doing something like this.

After many internet searches (including here), I am still at square one regarding this question. First, I am retired and also have limited mobility. With that in mind, I have been racking my brains trying to figure something I could do within my limitations that I would also enjoy. I'm not dependent on this as primary income. I just need to supplement my Social Security as I only have a very small retirement income over that.

Since I am kind of an "oil nerd" I have thought several times about starting a DIY/Self Service oil change business. It would just start out as a single bay with a lift. I would provide a few brands of premium and good conventional oils but would keep inventory very limited at first as appointments would be required with the idea that most would bring their own stuff. I would mainly be providing the location, equipment and disposal. Not sure how I would price this, but I'm thinking around $20 to $30 for this service. The whole idea is not saving money but simply to allow those who want to service their own vehicles a place to do it and also teach those who want to learn. Here's info on my location;

I live on a State Highway with a 2300/day average vehicle count. There is a front corner on my property with 2 drive accesses to the highway that's literally begging for a business/shop location. Also a "no code" county so almost no regulations to contend with.

So, what do you think? Would this fly?
confused2.gif

Not sure about your area, but around here, there are still shops that advertise a $20-$30 oil change and they do all the work with no appointment. That's basically a loss leader so they can get you in for other work. Can't see how you can make any money once you factor in all your expenses, especially insurance. Lots of DIY garages eventually went out of business, turns out lots of people don't really know what they're doing. I think Car Talk the radio program originally started out that way, a DIY garage, but then they ended up helping everyone fix their car so they just turned into a regular garage.

You could probably get a franchise of "Mobil 1 lube Express". This would help with insurance and brand recognition.

Cool idea. Just doubt there is any money in it. oh...and the "you have to have an appointment"....I don't think it would fly.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Insurance would be expensive! great idea.

Yes, insurance would be tough plus the fumbling around of inept amateurs would slow the process down a lot and reduce the number of vehicles per hour. Having said that there is a successful U Wrench place in Calgary that rents time on lifts to do your own work.

You wanna charge someone $20-30 so they can change their own oil & filter at your shop. Good luck with that.
If you allowed semis and dump trucks to do that at that price you might find customers but make zero profit.

Open a liquor store with a drive up window. Lottery tickets,smokes,fireworks, adult items and snacks. More up front investment but surely a money maker.

What would you do if someone made the appointment, you put the car on the lift and the person knew nothing about changing oil? Fumbles around and runs into the next appointment time.... just thinking about probable situations. Having been in biz for 17 years I can guarantee the public (God love em) will find ways to fubar your business plan that you would have never thought possible. Anyone working with the public will agree.

Good job thinking outside the traditional model but there's probably good reason it's not being done now.

The advice you get here is worth what you pay for it. Make a business plan and crunch some numbers.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
What would you do if someone made the appointment, you put the car on the lift and the person knew nothing about changing oil? Fumbles around and runs into the next appointment time.... just thinking about probable situations. Having been in biz for 17 years I can guarantee the public (God love em) will find ways to fubar your business plan that you would have never thought possible. Anyone working with the public will agree.

Good job thinking outside the traditional model but there's probably good reason it's not being done now.

The advice you get here is worth what you pay for it. Make a business plan and crunch some numbers.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
As a business consultant and financial planner, NO, nor economically feasible for too many reasons to discuss.

Well, it's still early, but the nay's seem to have it. I knew it would be problamatic, but I thought I would start here. The business plan was totally dependant on volume which was the unknown and impossible to project with any reasonable accuracy.

Thanks to all.

Last edited:
I wish there was a place like this near me.. after a couple incidents, I'm "gun shy" of ramps anymore...

thinking of ordering a set of quickjacks after taxes.

jetmech1 , and limited mobility: I am guessing that your board name implies your previous experience. Is there any demand for authors that write aircraft related stuff for the web ? What about technical writing for some aircraft industry ?

Originally Posted by sloinker
Open a liquor store with a drive up window. Lottery tickets,smokes,fireworks, adult items and snacks. More up front investment but surely a money maker.

In Missouri? Might as well take his money into yard and burn it.

As a former business owner, and also former Master Tech, I don't think there is sufficient interest in something like this to make it viable. In fact I know a guy that tried something similar in a fairly large city, and it was an utter failure. Lots of regulations and liability, and very little interest were it's downfall.

I know one person that changes their own oil and that is me. No co-workers, relatives, etc. If I did not have a garage I would just bring my own oil to the mechanic down the street and let him change the oil. I see your idea as starting place, not the destination to achieve your goal.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by sloinker

In Missouri? Might as well take his money into yard and burn it.

Guaranteed money machine, even in Missouri. Give discounts on Sunday to encourage the church traffic on the way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back