Self defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I was watching one of the Jayson Borne movies I think the first one and I got to wondering is it possible for someone to be that good at hand to hand combat / self defense in real life?

Everybody has a plan until you punch him in the nose
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
I'm sure they guys who are experts in Krav Maga would show us a thing or two.

Krav Maga is a great system. Unforunately, it's been watered down by "bad" Krav schools/instructors. I prefer Israeli Krav Maga. This place is near me and I'm going to be attending it late summer. One of the best in the country.

http://www.israelikrav.com/

What you find is unless you are training against a "resisting" opponent, you won't gain much no matter what system or style you are training in. MMA gyms are probably the best places to train to really learn how to fight and defend yourself. You're going to learn Brazilian Jui Jitsu, Muay Thai and actually spar. Sparring is crucial to really learning. I just finished up a 3 month program at an MMA gym. The guy at this school blended BJJ/Muay Thai and Karate.

The majority of martial arts places show you forms (katas) and they are practiced against someone who is just standing there. That's useless. Sparring is where you learn what works and what doesn't. You learn distance control, how to take a hit, build your stamina and gain confidence. In the most basis sense, you need to be somewhat proficient at striking and ground defense. Boxing is a great base art.

The same can be said with the classical arts like Wing Chun, TKD, JKD, Aikido etc. Unless you are sparring against a resisting opponent, you're not going to actually learn how to use it. That doesn't mean learning the art is a wasted effor though. It's still good for the mind and body. A martial artist is going to avoid a fight, not engage in one.

The best self defense is to avoid a fight at all costs.

The first 3 Jason Bourne movies are alphabetically organized.

The Bourne Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum and the fourth one, which seems to have disappeared, is the Bourne Legacy.

The Bourne Legacy does not star Matt Damon.

A fifth film, simply titled Jason Bourne, I think, stars Matt Damon.

Originally Posted By: buster

Krav Maga is a great system. Unforunately, it's been watered down by "bad" Krav schools/instructors. I prefer Israeli Krav Maga. This place is near me and I'm going to be attending it late summer. One of the best in the country.

What you find is unless you are training against a "resisting" opponent, you won't gain much no matter what system or style you are training in. MMA gyms are probably the best places to train to really learn how to fight and defend yourself. You're going to learn Brazilian Jui Jitsu, Muay Thai and actually spar. Sparring is crucial to really learning. I just finished up a 3 month program at an MMA gym. The guy at this school blended BJJ/Muay Thai and Karate.

The majority of martial arts places show you forms (katas) and they are practiced against someone who is just standing there. That's useless. Sparring is where you learn what works and what doesn't. You learn distance control, how to take a hit, build your stamina and gain confidence. In the most basis sense, you need to be somewhat proficient at striking and ground defense. Boxing is a great base art.

The same can be said with the classical arts like Wing Chun, TKD, JKD, Aikido etc. Unless you are sparring against a resisting opponent, you're not going to actually learn how to use it. That doesn't mean learning the art is a wasted effor though. It's still good for the mind and body. A martial artist is going to avoid a fight, not engage in one.

True.

The style is fighting in Bourne Movies is based on Kali/Escrima/Arnis. They do stick fighting, I used train in this for a bit, we used to spar with Hockey Masks and gloves, we got bruised weekly on arms and legs (body shots were banned). The speed is insane with stick fighting and after 6 months with sticks my Muay Thai that I did in parallel felt like slow motion. I consider it a great compliment to BJJ/Muay Thai, but on its own lacks a bit on the empty hand resistance training.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes

True.

The style is fighting in Bourne Movies is based on Kali/Escrima/Arnis. They do stick fighting, I used train in this for a bit, we used to spar with Hockey Masks and gloves, we got bruised weekly on arms and legs (body shots were banned). The speed is insane with stick fighting and after 6 months with sticks my Muay Thai that I did in parallel felt like slow motion. I consider it a great compliment to BJJ/Muay Thai, but on its own lacks a bit on the empty hand resistance training.

Nice! I've been wanting to learn Kali/Arnis. There was a group around here that was teaching Balintawak but they didn't renew their rent and were apparently looking for a new place but it's been months. I think Kali/Esrima is a great art that compliments the arts you mentioned.

This a million times !!!!
Don't even become a target, keep in control.
Learn to read your environment (surroundings and people) and avoid any confrontation, how to make yourself appear less of a target.
This is everything from where you choose to live, to where you choose to travel, to what car and what you wear, who you talk to and how.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes

This a million times !!!!
Don't even become a target, keep in control.
Learn to read your environment (surroundings and people) and avoid any confrontation, how to make yourself appear less of a target.
This is everything from where you choose to live, to where you choose to travel, to what car and what you wear, who you talk to and how.

Exactly.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Sure, just ask Chuck Norris😁

Didn't realise there were quite that many Chuck Norris wannabe/clones out there. Thats quite a frightening statistic

Originally Posted By: andyd
grin2.gif

Yeah, but the really practiced fighters will never allow that punch to land and may break your elbow in evading it.
We have regular USD classes at work and some of the instructors are really amazing.
Take your best shot and one of these guys will have you on your back instantly without having really hurt you.
In a real fight, that would be yet.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: andyd
grin2.gif

Yeah, but the really practiced fighters will never allow that punch to land and may break your elbow in evading it.

I think you mean the WINNING fighter, practice makes no difference, in real life blows and the exertion make a practiced fighter slower and mistake prone just like everyone else.

Quote:

We have regular USD classes at work and some of the instructors are really amazing.
Take your best shot and one of these guys will have you on your back instantly without having really hurt you.
In a real fight, that would be yet.

Because they have to in order to entrench their position as a competent instructor. Watch one of them for several minutes and you know their defensive reactions to moves and then you know where they are going to be when your "best shot" moves them to where you want them to be.

That's the mistake many people make, thinking they're going to strike that one massive king kong blow against someone, and not being prepared for the return volley. Next mistake is thinking that on your back is the end or something. On the way down you should already be involving your legs for momentum so you aren't laying there motionless which is when things get ugly.

Movie fighters often shake of blows that would kill or at least knock you down and end the fight.

At a local bar a big tough guy wound up to hit the bouncer and that was his last conscious thought. The bouncer hit him once while the wind up was in progress and the fight was over.

It wasn't at all like a movie fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back